PDA

View Full Version : steering rack mod?

tydra
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
i bought this rack, it had everything i was looking, had a good rep, many have used it, i bit the bullet and dropped the cash. unfortunately now that i mock it up, the 6" wide mounting holes aren't gonna work, i can go as wide as 4.5". i havent cracked it open yet to see what i have to work with, i figure the upper threaded mounts won't be a problem assuming the rear plate is a solid plate, the lower mounts run all the way through, i'm hoping there's enough bulk across the bottom that i can bore new holes all the way through.

any ideas, before i open it up to check?

nutz4sand
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
You can go as wide as 4.5?? You should have a certain width you need to keep bumpsteer to a minimum. Once you know that width whats keeping you from simply bolting a piece of good steel to the rack then boring holes in the piece of steel right where you need the tie rod mounts?

plkracer
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Tydra, you are talking about the mounting holes that hold it to the frame right? I would try to make a plate first, maybe have a recess in it for the bolts that hold it to the frame, then have mounting holes further out to hold the rack.

tydra
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
i'll clarify a little, the rack is mounted from the opposite side of the picture, the 2 holes you can see run through the other side, there are 2 more threaded mounts midway up the plate directly above. when i was deciding on this rack, i didn't take in to account my a-arm bolts, specifically removing them without removing the rack. so i had to move it down. everything fits well, except the my a-arm mounts are now in the way of the rack mount holes.

i'm gonna open it up this weekend, see what i have to work with, otherwise and it's probably a better idea, is just make an adapter plate.

i'll build the heim mount after i finalize the location so i can minimize my bumpsteer.