PDA

View Full Version : Battery box, or out in the open?

andy777bmx
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Just bought the sealed battery made for my CBR 600 f4 engine I am using. Should I simply make a bracket out of some angle iron with a couple bolts, or place it in some sort of a battery box, like an ammo box or something or is this not necessary?

Thanks!

Andy-

greasemnky
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Depends on where its at. Both my buggies have the batteries just out in the open. But an ody I had a few years ago, had the battery very close to a tube, and we put it in a box just to be sure it never shorted out in a crash or something. But for the most part, guys just run them with basic brackets.

andy777bmx
04-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. Does it need to stay cool? There is a good spot that's out of the way between the seat and the headers but I'm worried it would get too hot. Other alternative is to the side of the seat. Any thoughts? Thanks...

Glamisman
04-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Heat is not good. The one odd thing that I came across with my Odyssey battery(s) was vibration was killing them every year and a half. blah blah blah... vibration resistant, heat resistant... at least in my experience B.S. The high frequency vibrations that went through the chassis on my first car would numb your hand if you held onto the chassis for a few minutes. I have put a piece of rubber under the battery to hopefully absorb most of it.

minibajaman
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Mine is out in the open, right between the engine drive clutch and the expansion chamber...we'll see how long it lasts. I am just using a cheap aftermarket replacement sled battery but it's holding up fine so far.

yoshi
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
I run a gel cell, not really in the open, but not in a box either. I run it in the front so it's not near any heat..

andy777bmx
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'll be sure to stick some soft neoprene or something underneath it and keep it away from any direct heat. Thanks!

TutTech
04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I was going to add if it is lead acid then seal it up so it does not spill on you in a roll over or crash.
The Gell Cell or sealed type batteries like you have do not need to be in a box unless you want
it to.
My Optima is out in the open and I have a rubber red battery cover over my positive side terminal and wires to make sure nothing touches or sparks on them.

:)

You can just make it out in this pic it is located up by my tranny under my fuel cell, where my rear trailing arm pivots on the passenger side. That way all my wires run the shortest distance to the passenger dash panel for controling all my switches etc.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL169/1054762/21449561/362494850.jpg