PDA

View Full Version : Where do u think the best Dunes are in North America

TWR11
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Id like to know where everybody on here rides and where everybody would recommend the best riding in North America, tell me why and show me pictures. Iím asking for future holiday trips.

Bugpac
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Glamis is likely the only answer for the best dunes... I have never been there myself, but most any other dunes are the size of the parking lot at glamis...

arrowhead
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
You are closest to St. Anthony dunes in Idaho they are huge but also a mile high so if you are naturally aspirated you'll be down on power. Dumont in Death Valley are small and that leaves Glamis where I am writing from tonite. The dunes are great a little dusty but I've still managed to log 749 miles in the last 7 weeks and we have 3 weeks to go b4 heading back to Oregon for the summer. The altitude here is less than 1000 feet and it was 80 degrees today. I live a mile from the Oregon dunes and they are nice but there is nothing like Gamis in the winter

Dale

nutz4sand
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I have been to Glamis and Dumont and live near SilverLake Sand dunes in Michigan. Glamis rules. Hands down.

But there are many other major dune areas I have heard of that people love depending on location.

But a trip to Glamis AT LEAST ONCE! Should be on every duners list. You will likely go back. Its simply huge and has so much to offer a duner.

I have heard say that Dumont is the tallest and steepest dunes. Not sure if its true. Dumont is weird in its a HUGE pile of sand in the middle of rocky type small mountains.

Silverlake in Michigan is fun but its a puddle of sand compared to Glamis and others. You could loose Silver Lake in the middle of Glamis and not miss it. Plus getting in Silver Lake at time is a pain due to they limit the amount in. At Glamis and Dumont you simply park and head for the sand.

As Bug mentioned. They have parking areas at Glamis that are bigger than the entire Silver Lake sand dune area. Dumont Dunes too.

K-fab
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
I've only been to three sets of dunes - Silver Lake in Michigan (8 hour drive), Little Sahara in Oklahoma (14 hour drive) and, of course, the Mecca of Northern United States, The Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis, Buttercup, Ogilby, Gordon's Well, etc. - 31 hour drive).

#3 is Silver Lake. The place is tiny.
The sand is nice, the first two ridges are a lot of fun on a bike. I believe that there are five ridges/"dunes". The last two ridges are completely clearable (like a double jump), at least on a bike.
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/motocross/sljump1.jpg

Run the ridges, turn around and come back down the drag strip area and then run the ridges again.

The place is one way and patrolled by some major pecker heads - and no, I've not been in trouble with them, they just have absolutely no sense of humor.

They wouldn't let me go duning in the wheel chair. Hell, I had my flag and my gear on!

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/motocross/chair4.jpg

No night riding.

Given the choice, I'll drive the extra six hours and go to Little Sahara over going to Silver Lake - but then again, if you're with the right group of people, who cares where you go - it's all about having fun and I can have fun ANYWHERE.

---------------------------------------------
#2 would be Little Sahara. The place is a blast. I've always enjoyed going there. It offers some really fun trails, it has some fun "bigger" dunes, and over all, is a great place to go play. The park rangers are, for the most part, quite friendly too.

The place is large enough that you will get lost the first couple of times you go there. That's fine, though, as you're fenced in and all you have to do is have enough fuel in the tank and put the fence on one side and follow it. Eventually you'll come to one of the two entrance/exits.

Little Sahara offers "everything" in some form or another. Dunes, whoops, walls, woods, trails. I actually enjoy it almost as much as Glamis - if it was 10K acres instead of 2, it would, for travel time and effort required to go there, be very comparable to Glamis on the fun factor - it's just a different type of fun that you'll find out west.

Park Rangers are nice and you can play at night.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/images/Moskitoair.jpg

---------------------------------------------
#1 GLAMIS!!!

What can I say? It's GLAMIS!!! THOUSANDS of acres of dunes. 300' tall walls, everything from flats and running through creosote trees to cresting the top of a monster wall or ripping in 6th gear across the faces of a bunch of bowls.

It would be hard to out do the Imperial Dunes - at least here in the States.

Weather there from the middle of Fall to the middle of Spring is great. Hotter than Hell during the summer, though.

If you want sand, this is the place. While the dunes at Dumont, and I believe the Coral Pink (Pink Coral?) in Idaho have taller dunes, I've heard that they're smaller overall and there's less place to play. Don't know - plan to find out.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/dunes08/liteaira.jpg

You can ride anytime you want, the Park Rangers can be both nice and total dicks - fortunately they've always been nice to me, even when they gave me a nice little yellow sheet of paper last year...

It's enough fun that we've made an annual trip for the past 8 years from Ohio to Glamis, so that should speak well of just how much fun the place is.

---------------------------------------
The crew that I travel with when we go play in the sand and I are planning on hitting Ocotillo Wells and Dumont next year instead of going to the Imperial dunes. We'll probably end up in Glamis for a couple days, though anyhow.

the_owl
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
glamis would be my least favorite.
Tough call between Dumont and St Anthonys

nutz4sand
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
glamis would be my least favorite.
Tough call between Dumont and St Anthonys

Least favorite? Why? I have not been to St Anthonys yet (Might be going to Salt Lake area soon so that may change) But I have eeen to Dumont and its great but a little lacking in size compared to Glamis.

These pics below are Glamis.

nutz4sand
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Here a few of Dumont. I think I have more of Dumont will have to look. These were taken at weird times. Neat place. Biggerthan it looks inthese pics and the one parking lot area you can see is huge but compared to Glamis its kinda small. Still worth going.
Oh yeah. I went to Vegas that time too....

I have a bunch more better shots of Glamis but need to find them. Will post up when I do.

nutz4sand
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Note to K-Fab: You could not get into Silver Lake like that cause the flags to short! (The flags gotta hit that bar you see for folks who don't know) A taller mount might have helped but I would recommend bigger tires for more height and flotation first.

TWR11
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Note to K-Fab: You could not get into Silver Lake like that cause the flags to short! (The flags gotta hit that bar you see for folks who don't know) A taller mount might have helped but I would recommend bigger tires for more height and flotation first.

Nice pics thanks guys.......

the_owl
04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Least favorite? Why? I have not been to St Anthonys yet (Might be going to Salt Lake area soon so that may change) But I have eeen to Dumont and its great but a little lacking in size compared to Glamis.

These pics below are Glamis.

Dumont has the steep, tall and flowing fast dunes. Glamis is small rollers spread out and packed with 100,000 party people all winter. I have fun at Glamis in the Rhino though. With the UTVs you can drive balls out and dune "fast" In the fast buggies its not as flowing. Plus the traffic!!!

Dumont
http://gotcinders.com/DSC033.jpg

Glamis
http://gotcinders.com/DSC_0623.jpg

nutz4sand
04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Dumont has the steep, tall and flowing fast dunes. Glamis is small rollers spread out and packed with 100,000 party people all winter. I have fun at Glamis in the Rhino though. With the UTVs you can drive balls out and dune "fast" In the fast buggies its not as flowing. Plus the traffic!!!

Dumont
http://gotcinders.com/DSC033.jpg

Glamis
http://gotcinders.com/DSC_0623.jpg

I will say that if you can't go "fast" at Glamis your doing something wrong. Snaking along the top of a dune line and cresting lip to lip to stay on the inside of a curve can be done at incredible speeds.

Even on crowded weekends Glamis is big enough you can get away from the people to get on it.

If thats a real issue don't go on the crowded weekends!

Dumont gets filled up pretty easy too.

I was looking at Vegas for work to get to the south west. But thats a dead horse now (Vegas work) But it would have been cool to be a couple hours to Dumont and a few to Glamis. Still Other than a little taller dunes I do not think Dumont has anything on Glamis what-so-ever.

Personnaly I also happen to like the traffic at times. Its great when you want to sit and rest and watch others do silly sthuiftf.

I will also say that those pictures posted above are TOTALLY biased. I have many shots of Glamis that are not that different from the Dumont shot.

Dumont tends to get that way cause its almost ONE big pile. Not miles upon miles of dunes like Glamis. Thats a bit of a rash statement I know but not completely untrue. Dumont is small compared to Glamis in size.

The Test hill or race hill at Dumont looks similair to Olds hill at Glamis after a lot of people gather there and ride for a bit.

I have been to Olds Hill at Glamis when there was not a track in sight excpet the ones behind me and there were NO whoops.

arrowhead
04-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Nutz

I agree totally!!!

K-fab
04-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Personnaly I also happen to like the traffic at times. Its great when you want to sit and rest and watch others do silly sthuiftf.People watching at Glamis is second to none. There's always something going on - sometimes it makes you laugh, sometimes it makes you gasp, sometimes it just makes you think "Are you kidding me?".

Good times, good times.[smilie=jumping.gif]

the_owl
04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Glamis draws an entirely different crowd than other dunes. yes you can go fast on certain of Glamis. And if you want to get away from the crowds you have to go to the areas that suck for riding. Dumont has great lines steep hills, and one general camping area.
Glamis has short choppy dunes on one side, and a few tall ones on the gecko side that 1000s of people ride at once. on Any weekend. If you like beer bongs and techno music thumping all night, camp at Gecko, if youre too old for that crap, camp in the dusty washes.
Ive been going to both of these dunes, as well as flagstaff, and St Anthonys for years. Dumont is simply better riding. Glamis is a better place to see tits and get your shit stolen

nutz4sand
04-06-2009, 12:28 AM
I know of several people who can tell you of horrendous parties at Dumont and silly stuff and trash being left everywhere. Stuff being stolen at Dumont too.

Dumont does have the one big camping area but there are a lot of places spread out where people set up camp sites (of more than one or two campers) around the area.

Its good duners and bad duners. They are both at both places.
I aint saying Glamis "bad duners" are angels. There are a bunch that NEED to be permanetly banned from ANY dunes if there was a possible way. I was at Competition hill before night riding was banned and there were drunk idiots driving a prerunner type Ford Ranger thru peoples fires. How that truck did not burn I do not know. Its jerks like that who got night racing there shut down and if those kind of "duners" dropped dead tommorrow I would celebrate.

But you AINT gonna kid me or anyone that crap like that does not happen at Dumont. People are people.

From the above description of Glamis having short choppy dunes on one side and a few tall ones on the Gecko side it does not sound like you have been very deep into Glamis and nowhere near the south end (it IS some 20 plus miles away.....)

I can understand you like Dumont better as a personal riding fav Owl but so far your arguements for downing Glamis are not unlike Dumonts own shortfalls.

So in short a person should go to both places and have good time. Each should be a duners "To ride" list.

CaliRidgeRunner
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Glamis, I haven't been to many other dunes but I love it at Glamis.

turbotexas
04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I have been to several and my $.02
The Imperial dunes has it all, miles and miles of riding and you would never see the same place twice! I was very intimidated in my little old Odyssey there. I did ride along in a V-8 Lond travel car first time there! it was like being on a Rollercaster!!!
Off of Interstate 8 is the Grey's well area. I enjoyed this spot as the area wasn't so large! Still had the large dunes and whoops and climbs, and just not so far from the Truck... The crowds ween't Bad. I won't go near a place that has all the drunken idiots around, just not for me anymore...
There are several smaller places in Texas I have visited. The Red Dunes in El Paso. Small in size and not much of a crowd! Mixed good with desert riding areas near by! Kermit Dunes in West Texas. Near the town of Kermit. Again Small no real big hills or anything special just another fun place to ride near Me!
Little Sahara, OK is tops for me! I like the trails and the smaller hills and jumps! Good times and Memories there while Camping with several other Pilot odyssey guys.
Las Vegas Dune area (just north of LV) Has a Good mix of Dunes, desert hills and long trails. It is within site of downtown and a good day was had!
Silver Lake area in MI isn't much of a place. I was lucky enough to be there during the week and the crowd was light. As kfab stated just a few hills, and a one way lap??? Kinda boring...
Still on my list of places to go would be Dumont, Amargosa, NV Little Sahara,UT St. Anthony,ID Killpecker Dunes,WY and a spot in Walden CO!

Gene
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't forget Oregon TT!

bdkw1
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Dunes west of Guerrero negro. No rangers, no idiots, lots of open space. Plus you can ride into town and get a fish taco..................

turbotexas
04-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Don't forget Oregon TT!

I have been to OR with hopes of riding the dunes... Was having technical difficulties with a new purchase and wound up wrenching in a truckstop instead... It is to damn far from Home anymore... I have a specialized trailer now so I can't carry the ody with me as often as I used to...

trash
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
pismo is cool year round, it has a nice beach and a bar right outside the gate
its small but if you break your car you can swim, fish, drink and drink
and yes i said drink twice I like to drink