PDA

View Full Version : Drove the Sinister SR2 car today

standfast
03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
The car that Federal had must have been sold to someone else in Nevada and my buddy bought it from him. We took it out today and I got to drive it for a for a long time. Overall I was pretty impressed with the car. Pretty much everything you could do to a mini was done to this car. I took it up to about 90mph and the car accelerates quite well and it gets me excited about my car since it should be similar acceleration. I drove it the whole time without the power steering because the belt ate itself. Gonna need a part number and a source for the belt... Yoshi? I think/hope it was from the bolt that I found missing on the PS bracket. I think it might have been the tensioning bolt for the system. It was the farthest bolt forward. Also the front sprocket nut came loose. I think the busa has a bolt that helps keep the nut on because there was threads in there that had no bolt going in? Suspension seemed real stiff. I think the coils are too stiff. Not sure on the valving yet though until the spring rates are correct. Those were the only issues I found. We had a blast in the car. I haven't got to drive a buggy since my shotgun and it was so nice to get back into one. The car has tons of thought put into it and all the gadgets and features that you could throw at it. I am really excited to have another person with a mini buggy around here and I am sure we are gonna put tons of miles on these cars together. I am more stoked to get my car done now than ever. Had a real good time today.

Gene
03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Good to read that you had a chance to drive the car and have a riding buddy. Motivation is good!

Good report too on Yoshi's car. First one I've read. Maybe electric power steering is a better choice . . .

standfast
03-22-2009, 10:43 PM
The car was not bad to drive without the power steering. It felt just like my shotgun without it. I don't think any of the previous owners really drove it much because I would have figured someone would have got the suspension dialed by now but like I said, it is way to stiff right now. I think I will try to get him to change the springs. Then I can revalve the shocks if needed. I think the car will start to show what it's capable of aftet that is done. I am curious if the previous owners knew what it should be like or if they drove it enough to care? Either way it will get worked out soon.

yoshi
03-22-2009, 10:52 PM
The guy that bought the car is a very aggressive driver, he said the suspension was entirely to stiff for his kind of driving, so he stiffened it up a lot and added more nitro. I would just back out the compression and rebound screws to put it back to the way it was, and I think he put 250 psi nitro in all the sock, should be around 175, that will get it smoother.

Send me some pics of the power steering and alternator setup so I can see what's going on, Federal was suppose to put a stop on the steering coloum to prevent the pump from over stressing the bracket, but he never did so it bent the bracket and they threw the belt. They replaced it, but until you fix the source there will continue to be a problem.

I now they put a new chain on the rail when they got it, they prob. didn't use red locktight.

I'm not gonna lie, Federal got a smokin deal on that rail because he asked for some stuff that I hadn't done before, like the power steering, and he was suppose to pay to have the car dialed in and fix some of the bugs (that rail is the proptptype for the new design). He ran into some financial problems and had to unload the rail quick before he even got to take it out for 2 trips, so there were still some things that needed to be worked out.

How much did your buddy end up paying for the rail?

yoshi
03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
The car was not bad to drive without the power steering. It felt just like my shotgun without it. I don't think any of the previous owners really drove it much because I would have figured someone would have got the suspension dialed by now but like I said, it is way to stiff right now. I think I will try to get him to change the springs. Then I can revalve the shocks if needed. I think the car will start to show what it's capable of aftet that is done. I am curious if the previous owners knew what it should be like or if they drove it enough to care? Either way it will get worked out soon.

There is no valving in the coilovers, they were gutted, all the dialing in is with the double bypass and here is a video of it before the new owner stiffened it up, you can tell how much softer the suspension was, which is just some adjustments with what's on there. I can look up how many turns the rebound and compression were, I have them written down somewhere.....

YouTube - New SR2 featuring the Federal EVO II package (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2PNUBrbSk)

standfast
03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I think the PS bracket was changed from aluminum to steel from what they told him. How were you going to limit the steering? Isn't it just going to load up the PS on the stop instead of the rack and cause the same issue? I will try to get some pics tomorrow. All I really noticed was the PS pump bolt that is farthest forward was missing and the output shaft from the motor had a small leak that needed to be addressed.

I will help him back down the compression to it's previous settings if you can get them to me and I will back down the charge on the bypasses. See if that helps it get back in line.

What about the sprocket nut? Is there supposed to be a bolt that backs it up?

He ended up paying 37 for the car I think.

I really can appreciate all the R&D on the car you built and I liked the car quite a bit. It sure attracted a lot of peoples attention.

yoshi
03-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I think the PS bracket was changed from aluminum to steel from what they told him. How were you going to limit the steering? Isn't it just going to load up the PS on the stop instead of the rack and cause the same issue? I will try to get some pics tomorrow. All I really noticed was the PS pump bolt that is farthest forward was missing and the output shaft from the motor had a small leak that needed to be addressed.

I will help him back down the compression to it's previous settings if you can get them to me and I will back down the charge on the bypasses. See if that helps it get back in line.

What about the sprocket nut? Is there supposed to be a bolt that backs it up?

He ended up paying 37 for the car I think.

I really can appreciate all the R&D on the car you built and I liked the car quite a bit. It sure attracted a lot of peoples attention.
I don't remember if these were for that car or not, but here are the numbers..

Rear Bypass:
blue: screw all the way out, go in 2.5 turns
red: screw out all the way, go in 2.5 turns

Front Bypass:
blue: screw all the way out, go in 1.5 turns
red: screw out all the way, go in 1 turns

I would also empty all the nitro out of all 8 shocks, then lift the frame up so the wheels aren't touching the ground, then put about 175 psi in them, it should make a big difference.

37k, wow, he got a deal. The retail on that rail is around 62k, Federal got about 8k off (and since it was the first one, and I didn't charge prototype fees, I actually lost 10's of thousands on that first rail) and he turned around and sold it for $55k, the guy took it out about 5 times, was fixing some of the stuff Federal was suppose to, then sold if for 37k. Your buddy got one hell of a deal.

Also, the new guy put 35" tall tires on there, I haven't seen any new pics of the rail yet, but he said it looked wicked with them.
I expressed my concerns about that big of a tire for multiple reasons, but it seems they are doing ok?

On the steering stop, the problem is when the steering wheel is fully locked, it throws the load to the pump, which is a tremendous amount of force and bent the old bracket, what I suggested was to put a stop on the steering shaft itself, just behind where the steering shaft comes out of the aluminum bearing carrier, about 6" or so behind the steering wheel. This will prevent the pump from going to full lock. I found the problem when I put the rail back together, but Federal drove out here to get it, even though he knew it wasn't done, he was trying to make the SSSS and said he would take care of any of the problems, so I never really got to test the rail except one time, so there were some bugs to be worked out, but he wasn't complaining for what he paid, and didn't give me the chance to fix them here, so I really had no choice but to let him take it since he drove out here to get it.

Could you give me your buddies name and phone number in a pm please, I wanna call him and give him my info in case he ever has any issues, as well as let him know a few things about the rail and basic maintenance. I have a feeling I know who the guy is, I had someone from new mexico calling me that knew it was for sale and was interested in it, are the last 4 of his number 0371? I forgot his name though...

standfast
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks Yoshi.

The car does not have 35's on it anymore. I think they are 31's or something close to that. He got it with the dirt tires and then the paddle set as well. I will PM you his phone number.

yoshi
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Yoshi.

The car does not have 35's on it anymore. I think they are 31's or something close to that. He got it with the dirt tires and then the paddle set as well. I will PM you his phone number.

got it, it's the same guy. I'll give him a call...

bdkw1
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Rear Bypass:
blue: screw all the way out, go in 2.5 turns
red: screw out all the way, go in 2.5 turns

Front Bypass:
blue: screw all the way out, go in 1.5 turns
red: screw out all the way, go in 1 turns

Always count out from fully in or you will not get consistent adjustments.

standfast
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I was wondering what the sprocket sizes and gear reduction was inside the Jeffco box was. Or what the total reduction after the engine is....

yoshi
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I was wondering what the sprocket sizes and gear reduction was inside the Jeffco box was. Or what the total reduction after the engine is....

That rail left with a 14 tooth front, 26 tooth rear, so multiplied by the 3:1 internal reduction of the jeffco unit, it has a 5.57:1 ratio from the motor to the wheels...

standfast
03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I figured it was between 5 and 6. It was very easy to drive in some of the tight terrain I got myself in even without the PS. I thought the gearing was spot on.

The Jeffco shifter could not be reached with the harnesses on though. We may have to do something with that.

yoshi
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I figured it was between 5 and 6. It was very easy to drive in some of the tight terrain I got myself in even without the PS. I thought the gearing was spot on.

The Jeffco shifter could not be reached with the harnesses on though. We may have to do something with that.
I changed the location of the reverse cable, here's the new location, very easy to reach with the harness on. He would just need to weld on a tab where he wants it, and I can send him a new cable. The expensive head assembly will just screw off so he can save some money using the one he already has....

yoshi
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I have another customer in New Mexico that has almost finished building the roller he bought from me, should be ready to go out for testing in the next few weeks, and he did a big turbo kit on it. I can see about hooking you guys up if your interested, although he didn't get paddle tires, he prefers the hardpack.....

pwerwagn
03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
All I really noticed was the PS pump bolt that is farthest forward was missing and the output shaft from the motor had a small leak that needed to be addressed.

I dont think you saw this skyler, but I also noticed that the drive cog didnt line up with the PS pump cog. Im not sure if the ps pump bracket was bent or what, but after I noticed that adjuster bolt was missing from the pump i got to looking to see if that bolt could fall somewhere. I dont remember if you looked at it or not, but Jeff and I both looked at it, and it looked as though the PS pump cog was about 1/2" towards the left compared to the drive.

We might check that bracket next time to make sure it is not bent. Remember how the belt was digging a groove into the billet plate? Maybe thats why it was doing it...

--Jeff

pwerwagn
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I have another customer in New Mexico that has almost finished building the roller he bought from me, should be ready to go out for testing in the next few weeks, and he did a big turbo kit on it. I can see about hooking you guys up if your interested, although he didn't get paddle tires, he prefers the hardpack.....

Is he in albuquerque?

yoshi
03-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I dont think you saw this skyler, but I also noticed that the drive cog didnt line up with the PS pump cog. Im not sure if the ps pump bracket was bent or what, but after I noticed that adjuster bolt was missing from the pump i got to looking to see if that bolt could fall somewhere. I dont remember if you looked at it or not, but Jeff and I both looked at it, and it looked as though the PS pump cog was about 1/2" towards the left compared to the drive.

We might check that bracket next time to make sure it is not bent. Remember how the belt was digging a groove into the billet plate? Maybe thats why it was doing it...

--Jeff

Could you send me some pics, I am curious to see how the old owner mounted it.....

Is he in albuquerque?
Rio Rancho, about 30/40min. from you I believe, someone he knows already saw the rail and he called me today about it, so he can't be that far from you, I believe he is gonna sign up here, I told him where to find this topic......

pwerwagn
03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Alb and Rio Rancho are pretty much the same place. We are about 40 min or so away...

The SR2 was out in Rio Rancho (also where we were with it sunday) all weekend at one of the owners friends houses.

Busakar
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
hi everybody
I'm new [smilie=jumping.gif] at this forum and i'll have my car ready in about 2 or 3 weeks,i hope:)
It's a Sinister sand rail, was built by Yoshi

I would like to see how the suspention is set up.

BMX1253
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Welcome! You got a KILLER car then! Lucky! LoL!

Hope to see a lil write up when your finished. I love the design he has, also the amount of R&D he puts into them is unbeliveable!

NWOff-Roader
03-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I have said it before, I love your SR2 design Yoshi, what great looking car! I sure would like to upgrade my car with new bodywork. Maybe similar to the SR2, who knows?????

zukpower
03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
oufff woww amazing killing machine

Busakar
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
any news, updates, pictures...........

standfast
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Nah, we were gonna go out this weekend again on Saturday but it was raining.