PDA

View Full Version : brakes power

manosmustang
03-15-2009, 05:10 PM
i want to build a buggy similar to the lt2 from team moto but i will only put brakes in the back axle with the sprocket. will it have power to stop with only one caliper??? i was thinking of using a rear caliper from a honda cbr600 or cbr1000. Will it work???

minibajaman
03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
It will stop eventually. How big of a brake rotor are you going to use, obviously larger would be better.

Are you going to be driving in sand or on dirt?

Personally, I think not having front brakes is just asking for trouble. My buggy has four-wheel discs and I feel like there isn't enough braking power available, mostly because the tires don't have enough braking grip on dirt. I've never ridden in sand, and I would imagine that causes a lot of drag which helps slow you down, but I would still like the security of a full set of brakes.

Gene
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I've had a single brake car. Try this to see what to expect:

Drive your car and use only the handbrake (emergency brake) and see how much stopping power is available. To make it realistic travel at a speed you would normally travel and pick an object where anormal stop would take place. Make wure the object is passable, then see how much further it takes to stop the car.

Let's say you don't have a car. Try using the rear brake on a mountain bike, then use both brakes.

You should be convinced.

plkracer
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Yep, front brakes are a blessing. I have a brake bias and I can send a lot of power to the rear. It gets scary going down a hill then having your rears lock up and you are still gaining speed. I think going down hills is the biggest factor since you have to factor in the weight transfer due to both the incline and the brake dive.

nutz4sand
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Imma vote for more brakes as well. I had a bike engine powered rail with only rear brakes and it nearly got me in trouble several times.

Plus if that brake ever fails completely (like when you come over a hill and theres someone in the trails in front of you and you have nowhere to go(trees each side). You SLAM on the brakes and the incredible pressure (much more than "normal") then decides to show you the weak link and blows part of the brakes out that was not up to the task)

At least with a second system your chances of loosing both at once is small and you can scrub off some speed. Plus you can go into corners hotter with brakes at each end and have more control in them if the brakes are biased right.

The few pounds of weight front brakes add are nill. The cost of them is easily offset by the better control and (hopefully) NOT hitting whats in front of you.

manosmustang
03-16-2009, 07:32 AM
i thought the same thing about te power of only one caliper,and tsecked ebay and found a full front brake sustem of two calipers. i believe that two calipers int hte rear axle will be able to stop the buggy in no time. Does anybody knoes any websites for complete brake systems to buy online??? Consinder that shipping wiil be to greece.

nutz4sand
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
i believe that two calipers int hte rear axle will be able to stop the buggy in no time.

Most of the time in an emergency cars with brakes at EACH end CAN'T stop!

Your thinking to genral. Its not so much normal stopping but the emergency where your going to fast and suddennly heading towards somone or somones buggy or worse yet a little kid on a quad. The rear brakes help transfer weight to the front tires which then can lend a lot to slowing you down.

You live in Greece and they may not be as sue happy there as they are in America but if you ever crest a hill and hit someone cause rear brakes only would not stop you its you has to live with it if something bad happens. Your call.

Also to consider it may mean the differance between you hitting a tree at high speed enough to destroy your ride and permanetly hurt you or just barely hit it. Again your call.

What you save by not having front brakes is not worth it to me. Even in the snad fromt smoothee tires add a a dang lot of stopping when they are slowed by brakes.

To many people got the idea its OK when they went to spindle mount rims for the sand (and a few on the woods folk) to not have front brakes. Problem is these were old skool VW with not much power. Any good bike or sled motored mini or well built turbo Vw or better will go so much faster than those "old skool" rides its not funny and if you drive something that does over 45 mph. You will wish you had front brakes.

There is even a guy who welds brake disc mounts to the back of spindle mount aluminum rims. Then uses a motorbike caliper and disc to add brkaes at a nice cost and low weight.

Not to mention if you slide into someone you might get a knuckle sandwich at the least. Most people don't think thats funny stuff.

I know where I ride you have people not watching who ride right across in front of you and thats the only time I seem to NEED front brakes but I am sure glad as hell I have them.

manosmustang
03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
i see your point but because i am new in buggy building do you have any website to recomend for rear and front brakes so i can see what i will do???

nutz4sand
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
What size tires do you plan to run? What size motor? One or two seat? Whats your budget? Do you need bolt on stuff or can you machine and weld? Are looks important? Or just function?

manosmustang
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
i want it to function well.it will be two seater and the motor will be about 500cc.about the tires i haven't desided yet but i believe that i will put big tires because i want to have a big distanse from the ground.budget is not my second consern.first one is safety!!

Gene
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
The reason you need front brakes is weight transfers to the front when stopping. About 80% of a vehicle's stopping power is from front brakes.

krazwag
03-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Where can I get some long braided brake line? I need about 8 feet, thanks

busasandrail
03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
You can make your own. Summit and jegs along with many other place have all the parts needed to assemble your own braided lines.

krazwag
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I was looking through the Jegs cataloge and all there's say not for brake fluids, I check out summit. thanks

TutTech
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Here try these two places.
Kartek Off Road - Where Off-Road is On! (http://www.kartek.com/)

Pacific Customs Dune Buggy Parts, Sandrail Parts, VW Parts (http://www.pacificcustoms.com/)
They might have them also.

I buy mine from kartek pre made and have used them for almost 8 years on my race
car and so far so good. I trust them for sure.

;)

Bugpac
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
What size an fittings you looking for, I have 8' lines pre made...

busasandrail
03-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Here are a couple links for you....:D

Earl's Performance Speed-Seal Hose Ends - summitracing.com (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400041+303305+115&autoview=sku)

Earl's Performance Speed-Flex Hose - summitracing.com (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400041+304556+115&autoview=sku)

Bugpac
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I guess i dont have 8" braided lines, I only have 4'.. Id use kevlar lines if it was me tho, they are stronger, less expensive and will not rub off the paint...

Bugpac
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
If 90" will get it, you cant beat this price tho...

Earl's Performance 63010190ERL - Earl's Performance Speed-Flex Brake Lines - summitracing.com (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR-63010190ERL&N=700+400041+115&autoview=sku)

krazwag
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks fellas, I'am looking for banjo style fittings on both ends. I'am building a piranha (thats nearly done), with a cbr 1000 motor in it with a hydralic clutch that uses banjo style fittings, so I need a line for that as well.

busasandrail
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Banjos are in the link I provided....:D

Bugpac
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks fellas, I'am looking for banjo style fittings on both ends. I'am building a piranha (thats nearly done), with a cbr 1000 motor in it with a hydralic clutch that uses banjo style fittings, so I need a line for that as well.

you can buy banjo to an 3/4 fittings, still far cheaper than make your own...