PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights, big or small?

plkracer
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm looking at the HID lights from Shucks, and they have a 4 inch and a 7 inch. There aren't any details on the 4 inch, so does anyone know of the difference? Will the 7 inch throw light better? I'd rather have better light, but I'd also like a smaller unit, but if the 7's are better, that would be my first choice.

Also, tail lights... Who knows of a cheap LED light that does stop and tail? Needs to be red, only need one, preferably an oval, 2 inch by 5, or whatever they usually are.

nutz4sand
03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
My expierience has always been no matter what the light a bigger reflector makes for a better light.

minibajaman
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I am also looking for headlights, maybe not HID's but something bright and compact. I would prefer an LED option but I don't know of too many good ones for off-road vehicles.

For a tail light I use an LED one for trailers. They come two in a pack for around $50 at most auto and trailer parts stores, and are an approx 4" square. I use the same ones on my trailer as well. On my buggy I have it wired to be a tail and stop light just like on the trailer, except that the tail light is on all the time with the ignition.

nutz4sand
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
LEDS have come a long way and the low power use is a good thing but although they are BRIGHT to look at they do not cast as good a beam outward as HID. Maybe one day. But not yet. HID are pretty low power use once they are on for the light they produce. A lil surge turning them on. No big.

el diablo
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I have 3 of the 7in HIDS on my rhino and they are really bright!! They only come in a euro beam ( wide and faily flat) but if you use multiple light you can really light things up!! I heard the 4 in were pretty bright also but haven't seen them in person.

yummi
03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
tail lights here:

I use the ,12 1/2" X 1 1/2" TAPPERED and it works well for $25.00.

Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, TAIL LIGHT,L.E.D. 60 DIODE,STOP/TURN/TAIL,RED LENS WITH FLANGE MOUNT (http://www.pacificcustoms.com/K2ITL15R.html)

Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, TAIL LIGHT FOR TRUNKWING,L.E.D. RED LENS,SURFACE MOUNT,12 1/2" X 1 1/2" TAPPERED (http://www.pacificcustoms.com/k2l030025.html)

Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, WARNING TAIL LIGHT,L.E.D. 60 BLUE DIODE,STOP/TURN/TAIL, CLEAR LENS WITH FLANGE MOUNT (http://www.pacificcustoms.com/K2L160020.html)

No ideas on the heads, but the larger reflector makes sense everything else being equal....

plkracer
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
I plan on using 2 so I think that should be enough for some night running in the dunes or around my property. No led headlights for me. I found a pair of the oval ones for the grommet mount with the mounting plates on ebay for 50 dollars so that seems like a good option at the moment.

plkracer
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
oh, I like the 12 1/2 inch light, but do they make a smaller one? I want to put it on the wrap-around bar, but I think 12 inches would be too long. I'll need to call my father to double check though.

standfast
03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I would run 3 of the 7" or 4" HID's. Low power draw on the small MC alt. and no halogen will match light vs amps with and produces a very white light that makes it easy to distinguish terrain changes.

bajaBrothers
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I have 2 4" HID under the nose that are extremely bright. That being said I also have 2 8" HID on a removable light bar. Those are used solely for night racing. I am very happy with the performance of the 4" for daily driving. The 8" lights are massive and am not sure if i would want them on 24/7
________
Cruise-O-Matic (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Cruise-O-Matic)

bdkw1
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Side by side, there is almost no differance between the output of the 4" and the 7".

plkracer
03-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Sounds like 4's it is then. The smaller the light, the better for me. I don't want them on the roof in case of a roll-over. I need to get some mirrors soon too (wayyy too hard to look behind) so I am going to mount the lights in the same location, just forward of the mirrors to keep as much peripheral vision as possible.

plkracer
03-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Still need to figure out the tail light. Does that 12 inch taper light do stop and tail? Or just tail?

yummi
03-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Saw this on another board (GD) and thought it might help in this discussion.....

"i went in to checker the other day to check them for myself, they let me hook them up to a battery, i pointed them up at the ceiling, the 4" lights had twice as wide of a pattern, the 7"'s were much narrower, the pattern was up about 10' away, the 7" had approx 2' wide pattern and pretty round, the 4" had a 4' wide pattern and much more eliptical, i chose the 4" because the pattern would be much better a a driving light, but i was was only using two, if i was using four or 6six lights i would have used a combo since the 7"'s would have been good as beams for long straight high speed runs."

TutTech
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I run the 4 inch lights in a euro and they are amazing.
2 of them on a sand car will be awesome.
If you get more and can add a light bar great.

I have my 4 inch bellow and my 9 inch up top and my 4 inch are nearly as good!
From the specs I have seen it is only something like 800 lums less or close to that.

So a little difference but when your talking thousands of lums 800 is a small price to
pay for a smaller light that does not block your vision and works great!

Well thats my thoughts good luck and let us know what you do.
;)

Also you may check out these guys.
TrailGlow Lighting- Your #1 Source for Off Road and Race Lighting (http://www.trailglow.com/hid.html)

nutz4sand
03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Just pay attention when buying. The diameter is one thing but some lights have a pattern designed to be wide and other are designed to project one long beam. Look at the packages and the maker of the particular brand in your hand should show the pattern it will throw.

diirk
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
On the cheaper HID's, I've heard of some folks taking them apart and rotating the reflector to get a better pattern. It might be worth it to try out.

plkracer
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Picked up 2 4 inchers today. I hooked one up to my daily driver and it throws a nice beam. It is flat, but nice and wide, so if I point one up and one down it should work out excellent. They are very bright too. I pointed them around the parking garage at school and it lit it right up.

bigtuna
03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is 3 Kragen 7" lights in a rack I made. Tried em out last weekend out in the dez. Plenty of light. Although I think I'll get a couple 4" for the lower mounts so I have good coverage under acceleration. Those cheesy ones I have down low look yellow compared to the HIDs.

Gene
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey BT - how is the TW working for you?

bigtuna
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Gene;

So far so good. I've been beatin it all winter. Changed the oil out -no shavings or particulate matter present. I've done plenty of 10K clutch dumps and climbed some good dirt hills with 2 people in it and it seems to be holding up. I could use a better boot set up on the drive shaft. Getting tired of cleaning up the desert gold spray. Get your modified trans back yet?

Gene
03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Good to hear it's working for you. Maybe one of the leather 930 CV boots would wrap aroundit to stop the snot flinging.

I talked to Eric two weeks ago. Should be back soon. I have not been in a hurry as I'm finishing my shop. It will be ready in 2 weeks.

bigtuna
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my 930 boots to the large ones that go outside the bolts. I think I'll try the small ones I have around the coupler might be slightly large but may work better than what i have now. Keep me posted on the TW I may need to upgrade the motor in the future.

yummi
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Found this info -

All things being equal, (And in this case CHEAPER) and with a lifetime warranty, I will buy American. :)

"Im tiered of seeing all these Kragen HIDs EVERYWHERE!!
they look alright, and I hear good things about them
but, i will build these lights that have options and a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!
every light is - $100 each....SHIPPED TO YOUR FRONT DOOR
you pick---
BLACK or CHROME
5 or 6 INCH
DRIVING or SPOT beam
INTERNAL BALLAST
35w
4500K-
5000K-
6000K-

custom powdercoat options can me made to order for a little extra $"

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-18478-1237556659_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-18478-1237556667.jpg

Custom converted HID lights and systems
(- LIFETIME WARRANTY -)

Kyle Brown
KBrownCustoms.Com
Phone= (719) 388-3348
Email= kbrowncustoms@gmail.com

bigtuna
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow those are better looking and available in spot. Great price too. Never saw those. Thanks for the info.

nutz4sand
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong but those bulbs in them look like Halogen. I have only seen a couple TRUE HID lightsa and the bulb was quite different (both the outside shape and the elements inside it.)

I see too many crooks trying (on evilbay) to sell halogens as HID with HID being a verb or adjective instead of the noun it should.

It would NOT surprise me to see a person take a bright halogen and claim HID and simple have an added ballast thast does nothing to claim this to sell it for more loot.

Are those for real TRUE HID?

bigtuna
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I looked at the website it is kbrowncustoms.bigcartel.com
They are advertised at $300.00 I think that is per pair.
Not much other information there.

bigtuna
03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like the same place different website address I used the one in the above post. Same products and price but nicer website.