PDA

View Full Version : Radial steering damper

speedunl2
03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I need to find a radial steering damper for my mini buggy but cant seem to find anything stronger than the stock bike damper. Any ideas would be appreciated!

K-fab
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
May I ask why you're looking for a radial damper? I'm guessing that it's a fit situation?

WER, Scotts and .... uh... the really nice billet unit that I had on my old desert bike, drats, the name escapes me... GPR? GRP? Something like that. You might consider calling them and telling them that you have a one off application that you'd like to make work. There's a chance that one of those three might be able to do some custom work for you. Price is going to be up there for any of them, though.

Depending on how large of a unit you're looking for (how about telling us the application), you might consider one of the street bike "shock style" from Daytona. A couple of those, which are adjustable, would more than likely be less than the any of the three listed above.

A little more info from you and I might be able to narrow down some options (or not...).

Okay, here's an idea that's outside the box. Have you ever looked at the damper on an SV1000 street bike? It's a radial shock damper. I'm not sure how it's attached to the swing arm and chassis of the bike, but I'm positive that at least a couple years of the SV (maybe all? dunno) used the radial setup.

Might be a Flea-Bay item that you could snag

Juice McGoose
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Bike steering dampers are ridiculously overpriced for a buggy's needs. Just attach one of these to a tie rod. If you have never dealt with McMaster Carr they have a deal going with UPS where you usually get your stuff the next day if on the West Coast with the least expensive shipping.

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-shock-absorbers/=ujqie)