PDA

View Full Version : 2007 gsxr 600 radiator lines

motogarage
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Upon installing a Honda Civic radiator in my buggy i went to hook up the hoses but there are 2 smaller hoses (besides your normal in and out hoses) going from the engine to the Suzuki factory motorcycle radiator. Due i need to get somebody to weld in some connections on my new Civic radiator or can the lines just be blocked off and forgot about. Thanks!

plkracer
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Upon installing a Honda Civic radiator in my buggy i went to hook up the hoses but there are 2 smaller hoses (besides your normal in and out hoses) going from the engine to the Suzuki factory motorcycle radiator. Due i need to get somebody to weld in some connections on my new Civic radiator or can the lines just be blocked off and forgot about. Thanks!

Don't block them! The tiny one is an air purge for the thermostat so it is bathed it fluid. If you block it off, and you get a bubble of air, the thermostat may not open, and you'll fry the engine if it gets too hot. Run this line to the top of the radiator as direct as possible, without any loops or humps. The second line, which is about 1/2 inch inside diameter is the oil cooler. You need to run that to the top of the radiator too. Without it, your oil will likely get too hot and may break down.

motogarage
02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed info! I do have a couple other questions though.
Why do both these lines need to go to the top of the radiator?
Does it matter what height i mounted the radiator or these other lines in comparison to the how the factory radiator was mounted. I was reading some other threads and they were talking about air being able to escape and high points, etc.

Gene
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
The radiator lines should be higher than the engine so it act like a high point bleed for air.

plkracer
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
They go to the inlet of the radiator, which is usually on top. They are both going to be returning hot fluid, so you don't want them on the cold side.

standfast
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I was looking at running mine and was wondering why you couldn't just tie these into the hose going up to the top of the rad from the thermostat.

plkracer
02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
You most likely could.

lessifer
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what you would use to tee into the lines. Do they make a fitting for doing that I did some searching but could'nt find anything.

voodoochikin04
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
i just tied those two lines into my hot line going back to radiator.

andy777bmx
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I just welded two hose barbs to a 1" union which I was drilled for the two incoming barbs. Then painted on some high temp silicon spray. You could probably buy some huge connectors but this way was cheaper and lighter in weight.

lessifer
08-07-2010, 11:36 PM
What did you use to tie them in. Do you have any pictures of how you did this? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

lessifer
08-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Sorry Andy I didnt see your post before i posted again. You got any pictures of how you did this?

andy777bmx
08-08-2010, 08:36 AM
At orchard supply hardware where i live, they sell 3/8", 1/2" and 1" steel barb stainless unions. I bought a 1" union drilled two 1/2" holes in the center section, cut a 1/2" union in half and welded the two smaller union pieces onto the holes I drilled into the 1" union. Then simply connect the hoses. Be careful with fumes and stuff, I'll try and post a pictures sometime soon.