PDA

View Full Version : Power steering?

Oddy123
02-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Is there a reason you cant use a power steering rack and pinion in your mini rail? The reason I ask is because I can get one for much cheaper and I'm on a budget(I already spent alot so theres not much left) and this and some longer front shocks and a starter relay for my motor are all I need for it to be complete :) Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

nutz4sand
02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I guess the question is are you looking for power steering? You wish to mount a pump off the motor somehow and run lines for the power steering benefit?

Or just use the power rack with no pwoer cause you can get it cheap?

Power racks with no power to them sometimes have a little extra drag. If thats no to bad with the rack you are looking at then it can be used. Simply connect a tube betwwen the two fluid ports and pour a tiny bit of power steering (or automatic tranny fluid. Just a tiny bit. A Nyquil cup full is likley plenty. Just some is needed) in it just to keep it lubed nd the dirt out.

Is this rack you can get the right length?

Oddy123
02-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you so much for the quick reply, It is the right length and you just answered the question ive been wondering for ever, (if you can use power RP without power) So basically I need to get a tube and the rack and Ill have a rp for 1/2 price of a non power one, Nice!

nutz4sand
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
If it has a ratio (turns of the wheel) you can live with and is the right width as you say it is just seal the hose ports together with a small tube to keep out dirt and run it.

Oddy123
02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok, Its my friend who has it and hes only making me pay like 15$ and abit more for tierods, so im happy about this discovery. Do you know where i can get some ok coilovers CHEEAP? Im in need of coilovers and a steering shaft. O yeah I also need heim spacers for my spindles.

nutz4sand
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
They sell some coil over at most autoparts stores but calling them OK might be a stretch. They might be ok on a light buggy that does not go toooo fast.
Steering shafts will need to be figured out yourself for the lenght and angles your delaing with as well as the sizes (diamter) of the shafts its got to fit.

For Hiem spacers see the venders section of this site. There are a few there who can set you up with the hiem related parts.

Oddy123
02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Heres a pic of my "Rusty spindles" haha anyways I need to space the bolt so the spindle doesnt move, and my friend told me to get heim spacers. something to do with 5/8 and 3/4th or something.

nutz4sand
02-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Take a pic a little farther back. Showing the top and bottom might help with ideas.