PDA

View Full Version : mini baja tranny

Magna
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope someone can help with information on what this transmission is. I have a mini baja not sure the year it was built, but it has a tranny with some bad gears. I have taken it ot several places such as small engine repair shops, golf cart shops and mower shops no one has seen anything like it. Maybe some one here does, it appears to only have forward and neutral. It looks like it ran for a while judging by the wear on the brake rotors, however that could be from a previous life.
I would prefer to source a new tranny like this to save fab effort. There is a sprocket on one end of the input shaft that I can't figure why it is there ant ideas?
thanks[smilie=bs_help.gif]

Magna
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I'll try to post the pictures again

huggie bear
01-21-2009, 05:30 PM
That used to be a forward neutral reverse box. The sprocket on the input shaft is a dead giveaway. I will ask my old Mini Baja cohorts if they recognize it.

Bullnerd
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
If theres no other sprockets inside,I'll guess someone had it apart before and used it as a quick spacer.

Now that i look at it again ,there's prolly another sprocket behind that large gear that's used for reverse.

nutz4sand
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
If it was not taken out there should be another sprocket right under that sprocket on the middle shaft. There SHOULD be a chain between the two sprockets of course.

If you look at the input is splined with a sliding coupler on it. When its over into the gear as it is in the photo the tranny sends power thrugh the gears and both the input and output spin the same way and you go forward.

When you shift the coupler over on the splined shaft its dog ears connect into the sprockets dog ears and the chain (if it was there) will then transmit power to the center shaft which will spin the same direction as the input with the chain driving it and thus spin the bottom gear the opposite direction. Giving you reverse.

Was there no chain debris in the case? If not someone took it out. If the chain broke it may have damaged the case a little (or a lot) I cannot see if but is there a sprocket on the middle shaft (it does not look like it)? If not maybe they stripped it (the sprocket) and while it was apart they took out the chain perhaps.

Sorry I dunno who made it or its name etc.

huggie bear
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Ok I checked with my old team mate. The FNR box that you have is built by Comet and is rated for 18 hp. Chico State used this tranny in 2001, it definitely is a chain driven reverse so you are missing at least the chain and maybe the driven sprocket.

jwcarguy
01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree with Huggie Bear. It does match the Comet FNR gearbox (they call it a Transaxle Gearcase) in my Triple E. If you need parts, try Randy at Odyssey Salvage (last I talked with him, he had some parts for these boxes) Or try Quality Drive Systems PO Box 6910 Alhambra, CA 91802 (626) 293-5770
I was told that these units can handle approx. 50-60 hp
The 430cc engine in my Triple E Desert StarII is rated at approx. 53hp.
I will be swapping it out for a stronger CVT F/N/R box (like RPM, Redline, etc.) when I do a engine swap.
If you need it, I have a assembly / disassembly manual from Comet for that box, that I can send you a copy of.

Here is a picture of mine

Magna
01-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I knew there would some guys here that would know their stuff.

Jwcarguy thanks for the contact info it does look identical to the one you posted. Do we know for sure on the hp rating?

I thought that sprocket was probably for a reverse but I think that the other sprocket would have to be mounted on what looks like the diff. in order for it to be spinning in reverse. Can anyone comfirm this? Is that an actual diff or not?

Thanks for all the good info

nutz4sand
01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
If the other sprocket was on the diff and you spun the input shaft the diff would spin the same direction. The sprocket would HAVE to be on the center shaft to makethe center shaft spin the same direction as the inpunt and then thru its gear spin the bottom part the other way (reverse).

Can't say on the diff part. It looks like its more than a spool. Does it have diff action?

minibajaman
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Yep that is the Comet COMEX transaxle. They stopped making them as far as I know. You should contact QDS though as they were one of the main distributors for them and probably the best source of information.

Magna
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
ok I'm on the same page now on the reverse sprocket going on the center shaft because the gear would turn it opposite of the chain. Duh!
[smilie=gun_chair.g:

odypilots
01-22-2009, 07:15 AM
I thought Livewire had some Comet boxes. You could PM him on this board.

Magna
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Does any one know what vehicles these were designed to be used in? Were they standard equipment on anything, or just for the small buggy builder?

Red Beard
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
We tried one out a couple of years ago and if i remember right, the one we had came out of a golf cart or something similar...

dallasrules
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a Manco Duece that used this Comet Comex transaxel. The gears in it are also shot. Can anyone tell me what I can replace this with and where to get it? The guy that was supposed to be working on this for me seems totally clueless. It has a 12 hp engine.