PDA

View Full Version : Baja Updates

Harrenstein
01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Any picutes of this years cars being built?

atomicjoe23
06-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I see you didn't get any nibbles on this post did you H. . .

. . .I just started checking this forum out. . .met you at the Oregon event and know you from the RDC site. . .

. . .OC will be building an entirely new buggy for 2010. . .we're gonna cut 250+ lbs from the PORKER that we showed up with this for our rookie year!!!

s1eeper
10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Boise State first timer and I think most of my team is as well. Should be fun with no idea what to expect.

johnpate01
10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
We will have website updates twice a week. We start fabrication Tuesday, Oct 6th. This is only our second year and we are dropping over 25% weight from last year. Still placed pretty good last year at Auburn, though.
UT Knoxville | Society of Automotive Engineers (http://apcsi.tennessee.edu/sae/minibaja.html)

atomicjoe23
10-04-2009, 02:42 PM
We should be starting fabrication this month as well. I sent the budget proposal to Funding last week. Hopefully I will have money to register and order our parts in the next two weeks!

I will post a thread on our buggy once we get started.

Pingu
10-08-2009, 07:06 PM
At Clemson we are in the middle of design. A lot to do this year considering major frame changes, and going from swing arm to trailing arms. Also considering building our own a-arms up front instead of using Polaris parts. Hope to start fab this month.

atomicjoe23
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
You should definitely build your own A-arms. . .in my opinion that's what this series is all about.

Every team should make every effort to avoid using off-the shelf parts at every opportunity. . .once again my opinion.

If I had a larger budget and/or had a budget all year round instead of just a couple of months before the build I would go so far as to fab our own front knuckles this year and our own rearend. . .that's pretty much the extent of our use of off the shelf parts: hubs, knuckles, shocks, R&P, rearend, and brakes and we are only a 2 yr. community college with last year as our first.

s1eeper
10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Its everyone's first year with my team and we are using the same off the shelf parts listed above. I'm finding a motorcycle/atv salvage yard the best resource for ideas and parts. I'm really feeling the pressure of actually building the vehicle in time. Quite an undertaking for sure especially since we don't have an old buggy to reference.

atomicjoe23
10-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Like I said, last year was our first year. . .we built our entire buggy for $6500. . .we designed and fabbed the frame, front suspension and steering, rear suspension, built custom plunging drive axles for the rear and fabbed up a clutchless 5-speed manual transmission. . .all of that took us about 3 months.

We didn't get any testing time before the event, but we didn't break and we finished 56 out of 95. . .not bad for a 2 yr. community college our first time out of the box.

Just keep plugging and don't let the pressure get to you. . .you have plenty of time at this point to get everything done and have at least two months of testing. . .we won't even have our funding for about 3 weeks so I'm just taking my time tweaking the design between now and when I get the money to buy parts.

Good luck!