PDA

View Full Version : ProtoDie 2 seat mini buggy- next build

ProtoDie
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Here are some sample pics of the 2 seat design of the next build.

I may be building the 1st chassis for a customer, but if not, I need one myself:D

70" wide
92" wheel base
19" front travel
15-17" rear travel

120" over all length

1 1/2 tubing

Tires shown are 15" street tires

I will probably be building this instead of a single seat racer.
My plan is to race a 2 seater next season, ans see how it goes.

Since I will not release any plans until I build it,,,,the 2 seat plans will be complete before the single seat racer plans,,,hopefully early this year.

Let me know what you think,,,I will be out of town for a few days, but will check in next week.

Gene
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Great looking car. Anxiously awaiting its debut!

TutTech
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree great looking and I also can not wait to see it under way.
The pics already look great so I can't wait. Very Nice.
Keep us posted and have fun this weekend see you when you get back.

;):)

Akpilot
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I really like it! The body lines look great.
What are the chances of getting a RPM box in there for us CVT guys? Thinkin a Apex motor would be the ticket.
One quick question, how much do the front wheels set back from the bumper?
Thanks,
Wayne

rowycoracing
01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Looking good Proto, best of luck with the new design!

LEE1969GB
01-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Thats the only way to work, prove it before selling plans or vehicles, Not using paying customers as guinea pigs.

ProtoDie
01-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys, I have been looking forward to building this one for a while.

AK,, yes this is designed with the RPM gear box in it.

The wheels are 4" back from the bumper at ride height, and 3." back at full droop.

The current cad design has a gsxr 600-1000 in it , but I will be designing the engine cradle plates for a RX1, cvt jack shaft setup for my customer, with no RPM gear box.

By the time I'm done I plan to have both designed in for F&R, or no reverse as an option.

Gotta go,,snowmobilin up north[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

ProtoDie
01-03-2009, 04:00 AM
here is a pic of the front wheels,,,comp, droop,,,so forth

ProtoDie
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, I have not been able to dig too far into the new 2 seat build yet,,.

I have not sold the single seat 600, and probably will not sell it for less than material cost.
The funds are needed to start the next build

I did design & build the front & rear A arm jig though.

It works sweet.
I made a set of a arms for a customer, and I am going to start making some more.

Here is a picture of the a arm jig cad design,,,showing how it makes 4 different a arms.

Picture of the actual jig

And pictures of the finished arms

These will be the a arms I am going to offer in kit form

ProtoDie
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Just a bit more

Front is designed with 20" travel and 70" wide outside of the tires.

Fox 2.0 air shox 10" stroke

I am using the Rage end load steering rack & pinion from Dan's performance, (a real nice unit)

These Rack & Pinion measures 15-1/4" to 16-1/4" from eye to eye and weighs approx. 8 lbs.. The pinion will travel 3/4 of a turn from center to lock. The rack will travel 2" from center to lock. Designed for front steer spindles. Distance between mounting holes is 6". Has 5/8" x 36 spline input pinion shaft.

Ride height is designed with shock compressed 32%
Camber change from ride height to droop is .5 degrees and zero bump steer.

Ride height to full compression is 68% and tires toe out less than 1/8" at full compression.
Camber change is 3.8 degrees from ride height to full comp.

zuverinb
02-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks nice! Me (Blake) and Kyle are going to have to swing by and check it out when its all done.

Xcalibur
02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
yeah looks bad ass man, keepin' the sport rollin' thru these tuff times !!! an inspiration to us all, thanks dude !!![smilie=ecstatic.gi:

onlyguy
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
man you got that going on.

The Kar Audio Guy
02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
looks great!

let us know when the plans will be available

ProtoDie
02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys

I will let you know on plans,,,,, but those would not be released until after the build,,,,,so could be a few months,,,not sure

I sure am chompin at the bit to get this one going though

yummi
02-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice looking car.

Looking forward to seeing the build log.

I don't know if you were looking for feedback, and I know about a 1/10 of what you do, so if you don't want this, let me know, I will mod the post, but it looks like you have the dreaded dead tubes?

ProtoDie
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Yummi,
I am always open to feedback. I did originally have those designed in similar to what you show.
There are a few other tubes not shown that I would add for racing , or desert.

I get some who want everything overbuilt, which is what I usually end up doing.

Then you get others who want it lighter, and more of a sand rail.

More tubes can always be added.
I am also using 1 1/2" dia tubing which to me has proved very strong and can compensate for a few dead tubes.

Then again, the additional tubes you have shown would only add 10.45lbs to the vehicle.
Probably worth the weight to apease the masses.

Thanks for your input

BMX1253
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm boy - cotting this thread! and spelling, HaHa! I wanted my single seater plans! LoL! (Check back in tomorrow) HaHa!

Xcalibur
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
i'm Boy - Cotting This Thread! And Spelling, Haha! I Wanted My Single Seater Plans! Lol! (check Back In Tomorrow) Haha!

Wtf ?

David M
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
x2:confused:

onlyguy
02-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Wtf ?

dont have a cow man, hes just cracking a joke:)

ProtoDie
02-06-2009, 05:03 AM
[smilie=dunno.gif] Amish talk? :D

standfast
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Car looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to see you start on this build. Your cars are so clean and detail oriented. Nice eye candy.

Suggestions.

Add a B-pillar support.

Pull the C-pillar tubes further away from the head.

Add some lateral cage support in somehow with some kind of diagnols.

Bullnerd
02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
"Pull the C-pillar tubes further away from the head. "

This was the first thing that popped into my head when i saw the new design also.

standfast
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Thats kinda the nice thing about him designing with the dummies inside the car, otherwise you might not notice that.

BMX1253
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
In a seprate thread I told Proto that I wanted to but his first set of Single Seater Plans for a build I was going to do. He's decided to build the 2 seater before the single seater:rolleyes:, and that means I have to wait for plans cause he's dedicated and wants to build the buggy with the plans to make sure they are complete and all working well together. Just poking a joke at him, I really like his design. Aparently the joke wasn't as obvious as I though it was.... [smilie=dunno.gif] Keep up the good work.

ProtoDie
02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
BMX,,,,:)All good. I did not take any offense,,just did not really get the joke.
But I knew you were joking by the HA HA

Standfast & Bullnerd
Thanks for your input & suggestions.

This design is based off my single seat racer cage design. To which I have personally rolled & gone for several end over end rides.
I design & build for me, & my saftey 1st
As I do not drive without a helmet, I prefer the C pillar to protect me,,which it has.
Also remember I am running 1.5" tubing. I have already built a battle proven tank,,,,,I do not want to turn it into an aircarft carrier

Feel free to photoshop what you would prefer, or recomend.

"Add a B-pillar support. ,Pull the C-pillar tubes further away from the head. Add some lateral cage support in somehow with some kind of diagnols."

plkracer
02-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I think he wanted the 1 seaater plans.

standfast
02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I was thinkin something like this along with running the C pillar tubes a little more vertical to get them at least 6" away from your helmet. That is what most sactioning bodies specify. And if they are within reach of your head factoring in significant belt stretch, that you pad them accordingly.

Just a suggestion though. I know you are experienced and can take it for what it's worth.

BTW, I love the styling of your car. The front end looks neato!

ProtoDie
02-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Well,
I did change the side bars back to original. Basically like Yummi showed in his paint-pic.
Adds about 10lbs and and a bit more labor.

(Maybe I can lose 10Lbs by working harder,,,,,and call it even) :)

There is 6 1/2 to 7" of clearance between a helmet and the C pillar bars. So this is fine
If more is needed, the seats can be moved closer together,,as I have plenty of room in the cockpit.

Thanks for the input,,, but I will leave the A pillars as is.

It will add a little bit more strength by making them more vertical,,,,,but this setup/ style design has more than proven it's strength & durability to me.
And straight up vertical would sacrifice more of my personal style, than the small amount of added strength would be worth.

Thanks for your input guys

I hope to order tubing & laser next week, and get it going.

ProtoDie
02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Aright,,,time for an update.

I spent a day or 2 making detail prints from the 3D cad design to build the front clip & suspension.

front end laser parts showed up last week, and then my tubing showed up Monday,,,so it was time to get out of computer cartoon land, and start bending some real tubes,,,yehaa.

The newly modified hydraulic tubing bender works awesome. Alot quicker & easier than by hand.

1st thing I did was build a new set of front a arms off my jig.

The A arm jig also works good, and makes things consistant & easy.

I decided to build the front clip 1st, because I wanted to physically check some of the suspension & steering, compared to CAD.
This is also one of the most complex areas of the chassis.

This is only heavily tack welded at the moment.

The hi mis spacers I am using for the tie rods & steering arms, did not give me quite as much angle as I was projecting.
I fixed them up in the lathe, and was able to get 19 1/2" of travel.
I set the shock mounts to limit the travel & only use 18 3/4" of the travel.

I built a stand to set the front clip on so I could work off the table & get accurate measuements, while travelling the supension.

I am using a couple of 1 1/4" tubes for my shock mock up.
This chassis is designed to use Fox 2.0 air shocks 10" travel front & rear.
I drilled a series of holes in the tubes at Full droop,ride height & full compression locations.

These help to set the limits accuratley without the shocks.

After all that reading,,,here are some pics

ProtoDie
02-26-2009, 01:19 PM
just a couple more

Xcalibur
02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
BAAAAD ASSSS AGAIN !!!!![smilie=ecstatic.gi:

ProtoDie
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks

Next,,,,I am going to throw some tires on,,,,,push it around like a wheel barrow and make vroom vroom noises:)

sodman
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice looking front end Proto what is time frame on this build or before plans are ready to go.
I'm new at this buggy thing I'm just wondering (because I don't know) is there a difference in mounting the tie rods ahead or behind the front arms . I've noticed this on quite a few builds wouldn't behind the arms protect the tie rods better than out front?
All woods trees sticks rocks no sand here .
Just trying to expand my limited knowledge This build is going to be impressive in my opinion.
Later Sodman

FactoryPhil
02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
i need to hit the power ball to get one of them....i like what i see..

el diablo
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Very nice, can't wait to see more of it.

sicksand
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Great work proto...

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Looking good, curious why you didnt center mount tho? How much wheel scrub? Anyhow will be a lot funner with a passenger to scare the shit out of anyhow..

ProtoDie
02-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys

Build time frame ,,,,,will be a balance of workload & cash flow,,,,,,so who knows.
I expect to have the majority of the roll cage built in the next 2 weeks, if works stays slow.
I would rather be busy on paying work,,,and have it takes a month.

Front vs rear steering arms,,,,

if you are hitting rocks that high,,,,you are in trouble:)

It has been a quite a while since I researched that question,,,,maybe others can add to that answer.

my 1st buggy had rear steer with front trailing arms. It had quite a bit of bump steer. That was our 1st project,,so bump steer was probably from from poor suspension geometry, and inexperience.

In a single seater,it gives more foot room
it lends itself to a better & stronger A arm design

Maybe some one else can add to this,,cause I am not 100%,,,but years ago I thought I read that front steer is stronger, on tire impact. When you hit something with your tire it is pulling the tie rods, instead of rear steer where it would be pushing them.

Either way,,,,,I switched 5 years ago, and have been happy with front steer

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Puts the rods in tension rather than compression, makes them stronger, hitting stuff is gonna bend them either way, but hitting things with the wheel will keep the rod in tension...

ProtoDie
02-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Looking good, curious why you didnt center mount tho? How much wheel scrub? Anyhow will be a lot funner with a passenger to scare the shit out of anyhow..

Thanks Bug,,,that is the answer I was looking for:D

Scub depends on the tire offset & dia. With a center ATV rim & a 2" tire,,it is about 2"
Taller tire with more offset, it can be dialed right down to nothin.

I debated about center mount,,,but decided to stay with end load.

I like being able to adjust the rack ends for tuning.
The center load rack is fixed tie rod position

You can dial some toe change in if you want,,,in different areas of the supension cycle,, for improved cornering on the track.

If I want to try toe in, under compression, for braking & corner entry,,,,,,,cycling to toe out when I gas it,,coming out of the corner,,,,I can tune it that way.

Or try the opposite,,,and many other versions ,,,,but adjustabilty.

I would gain more travel with longer A arms & a center load rack,,,but I am happier with 18-19" travel and more adjustability.
Shorter A arms are stronger too.

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Not scrub radius, wheel scrub, the alteration of track width as the suspension cycles...:D

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Bug,,,that is the answer I was looking for:D

Scub depends on the tire offset & dia. With a center ATV rim & a 2" tire,,it is about 2"
Taller tire with more offset, it can be dialed right down to nothin.

I debated about center mount,,,but decided to stay with end load.

I like being able to adjust the rack ends for tuning.
The center load rack is fixed tie rod position

You can dial some toe change in if you want,,,in different areas of the supension cycle,, for improved cornering on the track.

If I want to try toe in, under compression, for braking & corner entry,,,,,,,cycling to toe out when I gas it,,coming out of the corner,,,,I can tune it that way.

Or try the opposite,,,and many other versions ,,,,but adjustabilty.

I would gain more travel with longer A arms & a center load rack,,,but I am happier with 18-19" travel and more adjustability.
Shorter A arms are stronger too.

I agree, center is just the fad...:D

boostinjdm
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Puts the rods in tension rather than compression, makes them stronger, hitting stuff is gonna bend them either way, but hitting things with the wheel will keep the rod in tension...

Tie rods swap from tension to compression depending on which way the wheel is turned. Likewise for impact, depending on which tire, which side of the tire, and which way the wheels are turned. Leg room is a definate benefit to front steer. hitting debris and getting proper ackerman are drawbacks. With rear steer, less leg room, ackerman is easier to achieve, and a-arms protect tie rods. The protection is only good for lighter stuff like brush, you hit anything solid that is that tall and you're going to spend time in the shop regardless of front or rear steer. One last thing toe also affects the tension/compression of the tie rods.

ProtoDie
02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh,,,wheel scrub.
around 7" per wheel thru 19" of travel

That is just under 3/8" per every inch of travel

Gene
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
One reason I like center steer racks is that you can design an adaptor to set tie rod width. Yeah, you can do that with end load but it looks like crap as evidenced by a recent post at GD for a Sonic car.

This will be a nice car and the front end kit will be a great thing for the home-builder.

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Tie rods swap from tension to compression depending on which way the wheel is turned. Likewise for impact, depending on which tire, which side of the tire, and which way the wheels are turned. Leg room is a definate benefit to front steer. hitting debris and getting proper ackerman are drawbacks. With rear steer, less leg room, ackerman is easier to achieve, and a-arms protect tie rods. The protection is only good for lighter stuff like brush, you hit anything solid that is that tall and you're going to spend time in the shop regardless of front or rear steer. One last thing toe also affects the tension/compression of the tie rods.

Agreed 100%, Most of the time, they are in tension, which indeed makes them stronger, can not have the best of both worlds, preferred choice by many members of this forum and builders is to have front steer..:D

Bullnerd
02-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Seems like a lot of droop and not much bump?

What size tires?

Looks like if you landed on an angle it would fold under.

Just my op.

Bugpac
02-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Bump is the hardest to get... I think it will show a lot better with tires on it...:D

LEE1969GB
02-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Protodie, are you planing on running the amount of droop as in the first picture?
If so is there not a good chance of pushing the tyres off the rims especially off high but slow jumps.
Its not really just under 3/8" per every inch of travel because its not a linear rate, with the arms at 45 degrees the first inch of travel will move the wheel out by 1 inch (so the 2 wheels will be 2 inches wider track for 1 inch of travel)and the rate will get smaller as it goes through the travel then start going the other way towards bump.
I think BULLNERD has a point, and could it pull the shock apart?
Having seen some of your work from the past I am sure it will be to your high standards before it goes on sale and customers can buy with confidence.

ProtoDie
02-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Ya,,,well,,,hmmmmm,,,since the only part I am showing is the nose clip and A arms with no tires or shocks,,or the rest of the chassis,,,,,it may be hard for some to visualize???

May have to wait a little bit longer before guessing if the front end will fold under,,,or shocks will pull apart:rolleyes::D

I have full confidence in this front end. This front clip & A arms are even stronger than the single seater which I have been trying to break for years

I usually run my car only as high as I need for the terrain,,or track.

Tires will be between 20" & 24" dia. Most likley 24"

Designed ride height is with shocks compressed 1/3
at least on my single seater,,I usually run between 33% & 50%

LEE1969GB
02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Protodie, are you planing on running the amount of droop as in the first picture?

rowycoracing
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Very nice work Proto! I can't wait to see the rest of your design.

ProtoDie
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Lee,,,sorry,but I do not know what ... is?
I thought I answered your question & gave you the numbers I am running for droop?
Those pictures show full droop, ride height(shocks compressed 1/3), and full compression.
The pictures are labeled

Thanks Rowyco,,,,,,,,,,,we were busy today starting to build a jig for this chassis. Man is this thing going to be heavy duty.
I do not want to keep my heavy steel work table tied up with this build,,,in case the paying work comes in.

Whe the jig is not in use,,,I will put it on the pallet racking with the forklift
We have the main base done, and are working at setting up fixture points for the extisting front clip.
Then when we start building the rest of the chassis,,,we can weld and build onto the jig according to our needs.

LEE1969GB
03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Lee,,,sorry,but I do not know what ... is?
I thought I answered your question & gave you the numbers I am running for droop?
Those pictures show full droop, ride height(shocks compressed 1/3), and full compression.
The pictures are labeled

Thanks Rowyco,,,,,,,,,,,we were busy today starting to build a jig for this chassis. Man is this thing going to be heavy duty.
I do not want to keep my heavy steel work table tied up with this build,,,in case the paying work comes in.

Whe the jig is not in use,,,I will put it on the pallet racking with the forklift
We have the main base done, and are working at setting up fixture points for the extisting front clip.
Then when we start building the rest of the chassis,,,we can weld and build onto the jig according to our needs.

... Is because it would not let me post just the quote and I had to put 3 characters, it does not mean anything

ProtoDie
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I just got my new Sand Sports magazine in the mail today:D

They did a real nice article on us, and mini buggy racing.

If any of you get a chance, or subscribe ,,check it out

Xcalibur
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
sweeeeet !!! congrats man !!!

http://www.sandsports.net/Pages/CurrentIssue.html

ProtoDie
03-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the link.
Bummer we did not make cover, but the article & pictures inside are great

ProtoDie
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Alright,,,,time for an update.
We have been busy,,,but not as much as I would like on the new build.

We had a display at the Lansing buggy show, so had to get stuff ready for that, so lost a couple of weeks.

A few things have slowed us down.
A major thing was my design file became corrupted, and unsuable[smilie=gun_bash.gi:[smilie=gun_chair.g:[smilie=alright.gif]:(:confused::confused:

Really sucked. I learned many years ago to back up,,,,often. But after so many years with out any problems, I become relaxed on backing up.
So I replaced the design with a back up copy that was a month old,,,but lost a months worth of cad work on it.
I guess it could have been worse.
I had a lot of the 2D prints ready also,,,,,lost.

Anyhow,,,,nuff cryin

I am just kicking out dimensions & temporary prints as we bend up tubes and build.

We decided to build a jig for this chassis, while we are building the car.
The jig build also slows us down a touch. But will be worth it once we start building the 2nd & 3rd cars.

We have a lot of tubes to add yet, especially on the rear, but it is really starting to take shape.

It does seem very roomy inside, compared to our single seat cars

OK enough typing, here are some pics

250r05
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Looks awsome. also good article in sand sports.

Gene
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
That is turning out very nicely. Lines look good. Too bad about the file loss.

Looking forward to the trial run!

ProtoDie
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
:)Thanks, glad you liked the article

Hopefully we do not expieriance to many more delays (like file loss) and can get to the trial ,track & performance testing,,,,

Xcalibur
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
doood frame's lookin' sweet !!!

ProtoDie
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Alright,,,,time for an update.

This build will be speeding up now,,,,,,both my car (#17) and my brother's (31) have been sold.

We are going to start on the second chassis next week,,,and hopefully hammer down & get them done. Sun is shining, and I want a full season of racing,,testing & playing with the new cars.

Dan picked up a motor, 2007/2008 GSXR 1000
I will be going with the same year motor, so starting to look for my next one.

We built a "twirly Jig" for welding up the #1 chassis. Looks like it going to work out nice. I can easily rotate the chassis around & lock it in that position for welding.

Thinking about mounting seats & belts in the chassis & offering spinning rides to our kids. Teach them tolerance for sprint car rolls in the future,,,,,,,JK

Going to order up some RPM gear boxes this week, and some more tubing for #2 chassis

Goal::::::to have these powder coated , and complete before July 4
preferably June,,,,,

el diablo
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks great, but how do you work in such a cluttered shop?:D

ProtoDie
04-16-2009, 06:13 AM
:D I just push the clutter out of the way for the picture,,,,then put it back

The Kar Audio Guy
04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
the roof line and the back look great!...cant wait to see it skinned.

this is what a Pro build looks like boys and girls..;)

ProtoDie
04-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Thank you much.

I am really enjoying this build so far, and beleive this will surpass our previous builds, by power, performance, travel, reverse gearbox,,,,,and the extra seat:).

Gene
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Congratulations selling the two cars. Some lucky buyers got a terrific deal on race-proven cars. Hooray for intelligent buyers!

This car looks great! I like the rotisserie and the views of the frame I would not have seen had you not built it. Really great.

Hard to imagine how a car that looks this good at this stage would not become as desirable as the top cars in our market segment. Nice work!

Bugpac
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Not to be negative, But with the rotiserie hanging from each end, And not supporting the center, Isnt there a really really good chance of warpage while welding? Most what i have seen is the whole fixture gets rotated as to hold tubing locations etc...

Gene
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Good point Bug. I have not thought about sag since getting divorced.

ProtoDie
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Very good point, and we discussed it before pulling it off the jig.

I welded the main areas, 80 to 100% before pulling it off the jig.

Just the underside & no critical welds are left,,,,,which is still a lot of welding.

Fact is, if somthing moves a little,,,,,,,,,,,how do you even know, and if you can not tell,,,,it does it matter. a 1/32 here or there is just fine if you design in adjustable & tunable suspension,

The roll cage is just a saftey box for the operator, mounted between the wheels & critical suspension points.
Every race car chassis is slightly different than the next,,,,even from the same jig.
That's why you design in adjustability,,,to fine tune the performance.

whiplash
04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
LOVE the new look, I really appreciated the old design but just mot my type of look, this one is HOT! I love the design and can't wait to see the finished product!

ProtoDie
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks whiplash

We now have 3 2008 GSXR 1000 motors (2 need to be shipped yet)

They are claiming 185HP with 160HP to the wheels

One nice feature is there is a mode selector switch, that lets you switch power settings from Low to Med to Full power

here is an article on the bikes and the power switch
Motorcycle Daily (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/19february07_2007suzuki_gsxr1000.htm)

I think this may be handy to restrict some of the power on certain tracks,,,or maybe it will always be on full power ,,,who knows:)

Hope to see some RPM boxes in a few weeks.
Dan Roberto has been great to deal with and I am looking forward finalizing the rear design for these units.

I believe we are going with a 5.4:1 ratio box
This will give us a nice range to work with.
With the bikes motors internal gear reduction this ends up being 6.953:1

Dan started on the second rollcage last night. The jig shaves a ton of time off.

Also building a new single seat buggy for someone.
This will have one of the GSXR 1000cc motors in it, and also the RPM reverse gear box.
It's gonna scream.
Should start bending up the Roll cage next week.
I will start a new single thread for that build

Our single seat buggies shipped out last night, heading to a warmer climate in Mexico.
Bitter-sweet,,,, I have no buggy to drive, and it is going be 80 here on friday:(
So I need to hammer down, and keep building, so I can get out & play:)

greasemnky
04-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Don't happen to be getting them out of ontario are you?

ProtoDie
04-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Nope,much warmer,,, Charlotte NC

ProtoDie
05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Been busy, time for an update.

2nd chassis has gotten further than mine now,,,,but it is all good.
I have been busy building a new single seater, so my chassis has slowed down for the time being.

There is a large amount of our parts that are interchangable for the single & 2 seat chassis's.

After many,many,many,,hundreds of hours on the computer designing, it is so awsome to finally see some of these come to life:D

pics may be mixed in order, some of one chassis, some of another.

Tires shown are only 20", so they look small. I will be running 24"

Sh*t out of time. I will update pics in the morning,,,,stay tuned

ProtoDie
05-13-2009, 05:44 AM
All right, now for some pics

ProtoDie
05-13-2009, 05:46 AM
more pics

ProtoDie
05-13-2009, 05:49 AM
The engine cradle plates are slotted and will have turn buckles for the RPM gear box. This can be used as a tensioner and to avoid half links when changing sprocket sizes.
There will also be an idler sprocket chain tensioner on this. Same one we have been using for years.
This will add a quick easy chain tension adjustment.

just built a dual engine stand , 3rd motor is in our engine cradle out of the chassis

ProtoDie
05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, we got one of the chassis's up on all 4 wheels, shocks, and motor in Wednesday night.
Steering & Wilwood pedals are also in.
Still lots to do, but it is coming together nicely.

Tire are 23"

The tire man is my 8 year old son.
He is a hard little worker and loves this stuff

ProtoDie
05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
more pics,

ProtoDie
05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
couple more.

Next is rear drive train, RPM gear box, shift linkages, gas pedal, exhaust , and custom fuel cell.

ProtoDie
05-27-2009, 06:16 AM
dual exhaust is in, and radiator mounted.

Tabs are put in for a second radiator if needed.
( Honda civic radiator)

exhaust is the stock header, then we fabbed to a 2 1/4 to 2" turbo T.
Then 2" bends going to super trapp spark arrestors

floor panel is in, and pedals are in place

ProtoDie
05-27-2009, 06:18 AM
few more

bugbite
05-27-2009, 10:21 PM
hi proto, it's defiently comeing along nicely, can't wait to hear how it comes out all finished, looks like youl make the july 4th goal, quick Q what's the ground clearence? looks to me about 20in.
and whats up with a projector in the shop, movie at lunch?
anyway nice job on the build, wish I could get one but I don't have the money:( maby oneday :rolleyes:
bugbite

ProtoDie
05-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Bugbite,

Thanks,,I hope to make the July 4 date, but it's the little things that add up, and take time towards the end. So we will see.

Full droop has 24" clearance in the front & about 17" in the rear.
I have to finalize the rear droop yet, and find out how much once cv's & axles are in.

ride height will be around 15" front & 11" rear,,,,to start with.

Projector screen,,,,, I have "BIG MOVIE" night with my kids on Friday nights sometimes. Video games, football, racing,,and what ever.

I have a projector for design presentations at different companies. So why not use it in the shop?

Does not get used to much when I am busy in the shop.
Needs to be pretty dark to show up good.

ProtoDie
05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
We worked on the harness this weekend,,,
I machined up some new aluminum fuel pump mount plates.

Nice thing is,,,the 2007/8 GSXR 1000 fuel pump has the same bolt pattern as the 2000-2007 GSXR 600's

Not the safe & recomended way,,,,,,,,but determined to fire up the motor Friday night,,,,we siliconed the fuel pump mount plate to a plastic coffee can for fuel:eek:

Worked great & the motor roared to life:)
THANKS Maxwell house[smilie=rockout3.gi:

Working out a few F1 codes yet, but pretty much have it all taken care of.
Dual super Trapp exhaust sounds good.

millfab313
06-14-2009, 08:25 PM
thatell wake ya up in the morning[smilie=rofl.gif]

sodman
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Protodie
2 seater, single seater, 2 seater, single seater you get my drift awesome freeking work.
When are the plans going to be available I've got my interest in one.
Wow Later Sodman

millfab313
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
any idea what a chassis fully tabbed for gixxer 1000 might go for? or too soon to tell yet

ProtoDie
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Sodman,,,,,Thanks
After the single seater & 2 seater are complete, with some testing, I hope to release plans for the rolling chassis for each.
The way time is flying, and with my work load,,,,,,,,,,,I hope August.[smilie=dunno.gif]

Rolling chassis I believe would be the faster way to go.
After the chassis is done,,,there is still a ton of work to build one.

Millfab,
Currently,,,$7500 for a 2 seat rolling chassis. This includes roll cage, a arms, front wheel assemblies, steering, rear engine cradle, rear a arms, rear wheel assemblies, rear upper shock mounts, some other stuff is in there too.
In the next month, I will try to get a picture of exactly what is in a rolling chassis, to clarify.

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Time for an update on this one too.

This one is my brothers. color scheme is going to be white,several blues, black & orange

My new chassis is sitting idle,,,while I build on other projects

Just got the chassis back from powder this week.,,,,shiny:)

Hope to be driving it by next weekend

lots of pics coming up

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 01:05 PM
and more

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 01:11 PM
and more

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 01:14 PM
yup,,,more

c.schulz
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
This is a fantastic build. Ive been looking for a good seater plan and its from a company here in MI. Keep me posted.

Chris

bugbite
07-02-2009, 12:05 AM
wow nice progress since I was last on, can't wait to see the panels on it, anyway looking good, Just doesn't look that far off the ground, but I guess it just looks that way, don't remember the ground clearance on it but looks like it should be a blast, bugbite

ProtoDie
07-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks,
yes it is sitting low right now. We were expirementing with the low limits for racing on certain tracks.

Some of the body panels are on, and the rest will be put on today.

I had all the panels laser cut,,,,,and they actually all match up perfectly.
This saved a ton of time.

Major milestone yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1st test drive:D

I am still grinning,,WOW. I think this 2 seater will out perform our single seater with a 600cc in it.

Test drives were great, and we were hammering it around the track. My test track is just under a 1/4 mile long.
Steering was smooth & easy, handling was incredible.
The power of the 1000 is amazing. Very torqy with lots of pull in almost every gear.
Currently it is geared too low,,,,we are running in 4th gear where we used to run in 2nd.
Just need to swap some sprockets around to change the ratio

It was nice to take a few people for some OH SH#T rides and put a grin on their faces too

I will post some pics later when all the panels are on.

More testing today:D

c.schulz
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Millfab,
Currently,,,$7500 for a 2 seat rolling chassis. This includes roll cage, a arms, front wheel assemblies, steering, rear engine cradle, rear a arms, rear wheel assemblies, rear upper shock mounts, some other stuff is in there too.
In the next month, I will try to get a picture of exactly what is in a rolling chassis, to clarify.

So we are looking at almost a complete roller less motor. Correct? Like to hear more info when ready.

Chris

ProtoDie
07-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Rolling chassis is the main part of the build, and the design/ engineering of building a car.
Lots of parts need to go on to complete the build.
Hope to have cost ironed out by later,,,July

Just scaled the buggy out and it weighs 1050 lbs with steel wheels on it.

I can shave some more weight by going with aluminum wheels.
But I am happy with the weight,,,,I projected ,,,,and hoped for 1100 lbs

Stomper
07-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow!! thats sweet proto. I love your design. Top notch work. BTW you should maybe think about cleaning up your shop a bit, that place is a mess;):D.
Do you have a live in maid. With a shop that clean how do you find time to work on your buggies:D

ProtoDie
07-03-2009, 05:30 AM
:DThanks

I try to pick up the shop before pictures somewhat.
It may be only the 12' area shown in the pic.

I will clean the shop & have all the tools taken care of,,,and within 2-3 hours of hard work, I will have every table, cart, and flat surface capable of holding tools or parts covered:confused:

Then I spend more time looking for things, than getting stuff done.

So I clean everything again, and get really productive for 2-3 hours until I can not find anything again,,,,and the viscious cycle continues[smilie=dunno.gif]

ProtoDie
07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Body panels are on but no graphics. We just threw some random stickers on for the the local parade on the 4th.
(just an excuse to drive it on the roads around here)

Also are some close ups of our rear enginge cradle with the RPM gear box, completly assembled.

Engine cradle works SWEET. No half links, turn buckles are for major adjustments and the idler sprocket is for quick easy adjustment.

So far, hard testing has showed no problems and everything is working great with the RPM gear box

ProtoDie
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
some more,,,hope to have graphics done in the next week or so

Gene
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Nicely done. Chain tension looks great and the car in action is a terrific indication of what's in store!

Protolite 2
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Just picked up my car from extreme graffix. Really happy with how it turned out. Finally will get to test it on the race track saturday, & find out how well the wrap holds up to our abuse.

sicksand
07-14-2009, 10:37 PM
where is some video????

Bugpac
07-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Graphix look good, now get some bigger tires on there so it doesnt look like Taylors Limosene Service... :)

Protolite 2
07-21-2009, 11:45 AM
A short video clip from Saturdays race action. Car was real good up until the center of the wheel ripped off the rim.
YouTube - Bobs 7 18 09 Short Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9X8dAvV_4Y)

bdkw1
07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, that didn't take long! Time for some better rims.

Binze
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
take some photos of wheel and spindle :)

Gene
07-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Bad AZZ! Goodbye PILOT!

sicksand
07-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Looks great,does it fit in the pilot class though?Looks like you might have to much power?Looks great though,have you came up with prices yet?

ProtoDie
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Sicksand,,
Sorry, for the delay, I have been out of town & barely on the computer for the last couple of weeks.

The 600cc pilot and our 600cc single seaters have had some close and fun racing over the years,,,,but Yes, the 2 seat GSXR 1000 ProtoLite out guns a pilot with a 600cc motor.

The 1000 is almost twice the HP & torque as the 600's we run.

There is not really a pilot class,,,there have not been enough buggies to establish classes over the past couple of years.
It has pretty much been our ProtoLites consistantly showing up for the past 2 seasons.
This year there are only 2 races at this track,,,so it is more for fun than any points, or a season.

I had to watch from the stands, cause mine is not done yet:(
1st time ever.

The 2 seater may have to carry a passenger to be a little more equal with the single seat 600's

Price,,,,,probably around $25,000 for a 2 seat with the 1000cc.
Reverse and the 07-08 bigger motor add almost $5,000 alone

Dan did some more shock tuning,,,,and the car handles even better now. Took out a lot of the body roll.

ProtoDie
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
whoops, forgot some pics

ProtoDie
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
We put some limit straps on the front last week for flat track racing. Worked great.

With 19" of travel in the front,,,and plenty of power,,,,,The front end was lifting up too hi under extreme acceleration.

The limit straps reduced the travel down to 6" for flat track racing. This held the front down and transfered the weight once it hit the lower travel limit.

Might try some on the rear this weekend,,,just to see what it does. May limit body roll and transfer weight differently.
Easy enough and cheap to experiment with.

Dan took "Bob" the owner of Bob's Family raceway for some laps around the track in the 2 seater.

He was grinning from ear to ear when he got out.

There were lawn mower tractor races last weekend there too.
Kinda different
A couple of hi end tractors were putting out 55HP and flying,,,,and one rolled, but the driver was allright.

I will stick with a rollcage

couple of pics

Gene
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Awesome roost Jody! Looks like so much fun and you guys really hang it out there!

sicksand
09-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Any new video of the buggy,or maybe some on a short course track with some jumps on it?Buggy looks great...

ProtoDie
09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Ya lots of fun Gene,,,,,I need to get mine done,,,so I can join back in the fun.

Sicksand,
Thanks, we have lots of racing video, but pretty much 2 cars racing...
2009 racing has not really happened here in Michigan. Just survive & have fun.
Bobs is the only short course track we are hitting right now. Not much racing going on this year.
So no jumps at this track.
We have more video of this track and the buggy.

Hope to hit the dunes,,,,Silver Lake yet this year & get some video. Then put it together with some flat track racing video.

But 1st of all ,,,get to the dunes, have some fun & get some more video.

Maybe this fall we will have some new video in the dune with the 2 seater

cujo6984
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
any updates on this hows it jump???

TRC
09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Man I like what you do. Nice and clean shop.

ProtoDie
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks and welcome to MBN

(The shop does get dirty some times)

This thread is on last years model 2 seat buggy

here is the thread to the latest 2 seat model

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/13264-protolite-ss-1000-new-2-seat-build.html