PDA

View Full Version : Want to use an atc 250sx for a cart. Help!

P-Dog
12-20-2008, 05:27 PM
The biggest problem i am having is the shaft drive. I cant find anything on the net about anyone building a cart of any kind using this motor. I was thinking along the lines of a two seat golf cart type thing. The benefit to this set up is the motor runs tits and it's electric start with reverse. If i could get some ideas on how to start this thing that would be great. Chain drive would be ideal and save lots of time and headache but where's the challenge in that? I want to be able to use the motor and rear axle. Thanks!

P-Dog
12-20-2008, 06:03 PM
The only thing i can think of it to either have a machinist make me a shaft that will hold a chain sprocket ($$$$$$) or make the shaft longer somehow to allow me to put the engine farther away from the rear diff. Here is an image of the shaft drive internals.

nutnbolt2002
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Take the u joint split it and machine it to take a sprocket.

nutz4sand
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Being shaft drive all you need is a diff out of a small car. Problem is that motor might run really good but its not that powerful so as long as you do not expect it to haul major bottom then it should be OK. It would do FAR better in a single seater.

Do you have the whole machine the motor came out of? You could have a slightley longer driveshaft made to the rear end in the quad.

P-Dog
12-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Yes i have the whole machine. Three wheelers are fun but not as fun as carts. What do you mean machine the u joint to accept a sprocket?

fl250driver
12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
you can just use that whole rear end

LEE1969GB
12-21-2008, 01:30 AM
you can just use that whole rear end
As fl250driver says you could use the whole back end, you could even cut up the frame and use it as part of the buggy frame to keep it simple. I think it would be a good idea to move the rear wheels out to make it more stable.
Even , Have you seen those 3 wheelers like this
Can Am Spyder 3 Wheeler - The Kneeslider (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/02/05/can-am-spyder-3-wheeler/)
but there is one where you can take the front end off your gsxr 1000 etc and bolt it in to this trike front end in a few hours and off you go, when you get fed up with that you put it back to a bike.
You could do that with your trike(but that would be a 4 wheeler)then you can have a trike or a buggy.

nutnbolt2002
12-21-2008, 02:45 AM
There is a u joint in the drive where it leaves the engine, inside the tube. it's even a sealed bearing. If you remove the diff from the engine you will see it.

P-Dog
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
There is a u joint in the drive where it leaves the engine, inside the tube. it's even a sealed bearing. If you remove the diff from the engine you will see it.

Hmmm, sounds promising.

P-Dog
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I think the u joint is too far down the line to use in the way you are suggesting. As the shaft comes out of the case, it has a ring gear type deal on the end. It then meets another gear set that makes the turn that points the shaft towards the rear end diff. The u joint it midway down the shaft and it is inline with the rear diff. Unless i am picturing something different. Diagram of shaft and gear set up are in my 2nd post.

onlyguy
12-24-2008, 03:12 AM
just chop the whole rear end off and use it complete like lee1969gb said. my mate did one and it went sweet, dont have any good pics but for these 2 if you look close u might figure it out. if that aint sexy enough for you then u might want to consider a sexier motor, because they only have about 20 horse. cheers guy

P-Dog
12-25-2008, 12:27 AM
just chop the whole rear end off and use it complete like lee1969gb said. my mate did one and it went sweet, dont have any good pics but for these 2 if you look close u might figure it out. if that aint sexy enough for you then u might want to consider a sexier motor, because they only have about 20 horse. cheers guy

Great pics. Wish i could see the front a little better but it gives me hope. Thanks!

nutnbolt2002
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I think the u joint is too far down the line to use in the way you are suggesting. As the shaft comes out of the case, it has a ring gear type deal on the end. It then meets another gear set that makes the turn that points the shaft towards the rear end diff. The u joint it midway down the shaft and it is inline with the rear diff. Unless i am picturing something different. Diagram of shaft and gear set up are in my 2nd post.

You have to mount the engine sideways, if you use a sprocket on the ujoint.

P-Dog
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
You have to mount the engine sideways, if you use a sprocket on the ujoint.

Hmmm! Didn't think of that. I may look into that. I had just about given up on trying. Cooling will be a problem either way but i want a project that will be fun for me and my kids to work on.

nutnbolt2002
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
You can install a car fan to blow over the head and cyl.

P-Dog
12-31-2008, 08:41 AM
You can install a car fan to blow over the head and cyl.

Good idea! Thanks for all the input. I think i may start this weekend.