PDA

View Full Version : Steering stops?

robndeb
12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
----------

Bugpac
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Our buggy has a nagging steering issue, when you turn all the way one way or the other, the outer wheel turns so much that the spindle steering arm makes contact with the suspension. It seems that the rack is a few inches forward of the spindles, making the tie rods angle rearward as they go out toward the spindle. This makes the outer wheel's steering arm over extend and almost lock up. Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you make some sort of steering stop? Aside from longer steering arms on the spindle, or moving the rack a couple of inches rearward, I don't know what to do. Help me out guys.:confused:
See what I mean.....
Turned all the way.......
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x30/debnrob/DCP_4212.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x30/debnrob/DCP_4211.jpg

got a downward picture of the rack and both front tires?

Bugpac
12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
SSC explains most of your problem. Anyhow you probably could make a rack adapter and loose some of the steering throw, I doubt the bumpsteer is accurate anyhow...How far is the opposing wheel turned when this picture is taken?

robndeb
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
------------

Bugpac
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
A few more pics, see what I mean, PLOW!
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x30/debnrob/DCP_4210.jpg

Pull the boots back on the rack, you will see a lock nut on the heim joint, put a big washer on there so the heim cant go into the rack body, you should at least be able to keep it from locking up and hitting and loose some steering degree, if you can undo the boot on one side and take a picture with it turned like that so we can see under the boot, on both sides would be best...the boot is zip tied on correct?

robndeb
12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Bugpac;153741]Pull the boots back on the rack, you will see a lock nut on the heim joint, put a big washer on there so the heim cant go into the rack body, you should at least be able to keep it from locking up and hitting and loose some steering degree, if you can undo the boot on one side and take a picture with it turned like that so we can see under the boot, on both sides would be best...the boot is zip tied on correct?[/QUOTE----------

robndeb
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
SSC explains most of your problem. Anyhow you probably could make a rack adapter and loose some of the steering throw, I doubt the bumpsteer is accurate anyhow...How far is the opposing wheel turned when this picture is taken?

-----------

Bugpac
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
The inner wheel is fine at full lock.....

Compared to the outer tire..........Yikes!!

Since it is a SSC, what other problems will I be expecting? Tell me, tell me!:)

the washers may limit travel to much, but will keep you from getting hurt anyhow till a real fix can be done...

robndeb
12-15-2008, 09:16 PM
--------

minibajaman
12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
I would first see if you can put some sort of spacer or stop on the rack itself to limit the amount of steering angle. If that doesn't work, you could make some sort of steering stop that welds on to the front uprights and contacts the a-arm to at least prevent the wheel from hitting the arm.

As you pointed out, there appears to be a ton of reverse Ackerman in that steering setup. You may want to consider remounting the rack to fix it at some point.

boostinjdm
12-15-2008, 11:54 PM
I would consider two things. The first and easiest would be to put a spacer behind the rack to move it more towards the rear. This will make the inside tire turn farther and the outside tire turn less. The second would be to lengthen and beef up the steering arms on the spindle. The one with the paint cracked says to me that it was either bent at some point or is flexing and will eventually fail. A bonus to lengthening the steering arms is that it will require less effort to turn the wheels.

bigtuna
12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I had the same problem. I used Protodie spindles and had to cut off the steering arms and weld on new ones about an inch and a half longer. Solved the steering problem. As the previous post stated it does make it turn way easier.

K-fab
12-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Wow - the rack needs to be moved back so that it's closer to being between the front mounts of the a-arms. That will get rid of your ackerman and your steering lock problem. Pain in the butt to do, but well worth the work.

robndeb
12-16-2008, 05:59 AM
I would consider two things. The first and easiest would be to put a spacer behind the rack to move it more towards the rear. This will make the inside tire turn farther and the outside tire turn less. The second would be to lengthen and beef up the steering arms on the spindle. The one with the paint cracked says to me that it was either bent at some point or is flexing and will eventually fail. A bonus to lengthening the steering arms is that it will require less effort to turn the wheels.

--------

punkur67
12-16-2008, 09:14 AM
When lengthening them make shure you place them correctly. If they are in the wrong spot you will get bump steer

yoshi
12-17-2008, 04:57 PM
You could cut a piece of plate the length you need, drill a hole in it and just bolt it to the rack. I would make it outta cardboard or thin wood first to get the length you need, then transfer the template to some 1/4" plate and cut/drill it.....

robndeb
12-17-2008, 05:38 PM
--------

Gene
12-20-2008, 03:42 PM
That front end design is essentially the same as my original sick Sand Travel setup. SST copied SSC. It can be fixed and should be fixed.

Shearer Insanity Build fixed this problem and they could help you fix it too. It invloves new spindles, new upper A-arms and probably a new rack and tie rods.

Your front end has Ackerman screwed up, scrub is a mess and so is king pin inclination. Please review the Shearer build in Projects in Progress for information. They aren't here much but I can contact them.

You will be so happy with the fix. Believe me!

robndeb
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
That front end design is essentially the same as my original sick Sand Travel setup. SST copied SSC. It can be fixed and should be fixed.

Shearer Insanity Build fixed this problem and they could help you fix it too. It invloves new spindles, new upper A-arms and probably a new rack and tie rods.

Your front end has Ackerman screwed up, scrub is a mess and so is king pin inclination. Please review the Shearer build in Projects in Progress for information. They aren't here much but I can contact them.

You will be so happy with the fix. Believe me!

Thanks for the information!