Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Two AR51s in North Alabama
    I've wanted a single seat rail buggy with a motorcycle drive train for years. Something like a honda pilot on steroids. We ran across the plans for building AR51 buggies. My brother in law, Jason, decided he wanted to build one as well so he purchased the plans. I managed to buy a complete CBR900 as a donor for my buggy. It's late enough to be a fuel injected bike. It should move along a 900lb buggy plenty. Jason managed to find a ZX1000 engine.

After we got the plans in hand, we started cutting out parts on my CNC plasma table. Nesting parts together like this lets you minimize the wasted plate. There's a lot of weigh reducing holes in these parts.

Here's some more parts cut out. These are for the rear suspension upright. I apparently neglected to take a picture of them completed. I'll go dig them out and take a picture shortly. We kinda did some of this stuff out of order because we already had material on hand. It took a while to get 1.25 14ga tubing.

I do have a close up of welding them up. We used some all thread through the holes to make sure they lined up and keep the sides far enough apart.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Two AR51s in North Alabama
    We cleaned the slag off of all those parts. It was a time consuming pain. This made me start looking for a better way.

The next thing we started working on was building the front spindles. Apparently I take to many close up pictures and not some of the whole part. We turned down the back of the spindle pins in the lathe. These are a standard off the shelf spindle. Probably made for a trailer or something along those lines.

I managed to cut out the sprockets on the plasma table. I think they will work just fine but I don't have any of the right chain laying around.

Sometimes its kind hard to get the plasma dialed in. I think I got this pretty good. It's 5/16 a-36 plate.

3. Collapse Details
    We have been making a bunch of the parts such as the pedals but I'm bad about not taking pictures. I'm going to try to remember to take them while I'm working on this buggy project. We have spent hours cutting tubing on the bandsaw for these. Building two of them at the same time seems to help as you just make twice as many parts on each setup. Two definitely aren't taking twice the amount of time vs building just one. We finally got the tubing in the other day that was holding us up from putting the floor of the frame together. We laid it out on my welding table. This table makes it really easy to get things nice and square.

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Great start!! No such thing as too close on pics, but agree some showing whole part are good too.
    Where in N Ala are you?, I'm in NW Ga, Rome.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm just east of Huntsville. I've been to Rome multiple times. We usually go through there headed to Atlanta.

6. Collapse Details
    Looking good. Interested to see how the sprockets go.

7. Collapse Details
    Damn... That table is sweet! And keep the pics coming.

8. Collapse Details
    I think I can keep the pics coming. Now if I could just get more time to work on it.

Here's the rear suspension upright. It uses a dodge intrepid front hub bolted to it for a wheel bearing.

Here's one showing the whole front spindle.

We did the actual welding and final fit up the other day. We had previously been using the table to fit the tubes. We clamped it all over the place then tack welded it all together. We put all these stops on the table so we could easily and quickly line up the second frame. Jason commented that this is where this table really shines. It took us about 15 minutes to put the second one together. Most of that was me dressing the ends of some of the tubes to make them fit tightly.

I almost ran out of clamps. There's only one more on the end of the table where I have been keeping them. I'll be getting some more shortly. I also used all the ball lock bolts that hold stuff down to the table.

I'm excited to see these. Up to this point all we have been doing is making parts and pieces. This actually is beginning to look like something.

9. Collapse Details
    Looking Good. I wonder if you could tumble those parts in one of those small cement mixers to get the slag off.

10. Collapse Details
    I have one of those cement mixers and have thought about trying it. I probably should buy some media and give it a go with some parts. I was kinda afraid it would dent up the parts pretty bad as some will end up hung on the paddle and end up falling.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast