Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Two AR51s in North Alabama
    I suppose it might on really thin parts but, if you get it sand blasted before paint it would probably clean all the little dings up.

2. Collapse Details
    I may have to try that at some point.

Jason and I got some time to work on the buggy Sunday afternoon. I've been extremely busy in the shop so things are probably going to progress slowly until things slow down. I can only work on this when I have room in the shop. As a result, we will probably do some things in a weird order. We want to make progress when we have the opportunity. I received an order of material this week that had some of the od sizes of tubing used to make these buggies. We decided to go ahead and turn out the rear bearing carriers. The spool will pass through this that holds the rear brake rotor and sprocket as well as hooks up to the cv joints. We cut the material to rough length with the bandsaw then threw it in the lathe to face the ends. This is 3" .188 wall DOM.

These were good for Jason to be involved in making. He's learning to use the lathe. We didn't take a bunch of pictures as we were kinda trying to concentrate on what we were doing. Doing this kind of work without a digital read out is pretty tedious. I really should outfit this lathe with a DRO. The end result was good. These should work fine.

That's all we had time to work on this round.

3. Collapse Details
    It's good to see more AR51s in the making. I took mine for a 5 mile spin around the block over the weekend to clean the injectors.

4. Collapse Details
    I wish I had more time and money to devote to these. We'll get them finished. It just won't be in record time or anything. I noticed you're only about 2 hours from me. We'll have to give you an excuse to clean the injectors some more once we get these done. Ever ride at Prentice Cooper?

5. Collapse Details
    I've jeeped at Prentice Cooper a few times. The speed limit there is 25mph about everywhere if not less, so I haven't taken the buggy. I would if I had someone to ride around with. There's an track in north Georgia that would probably be fun too. I'd be cautious about mixing it up with dirt bikes, though. My buggy has heavier steel tube than the plans call for, so it's probably a good bit over 1000lbs. Rides like a cadillac over whoops.

6. Collapse Details
    I forgot about the 25 mph speed limit. We have ridden dirt bikes there several times. Never seen the speed limit being enforced. I don't have any way to know speed on my dirt bike. I'd be up for some other places as well. We have a decent sized rally cross course close by. I'm definitely going to have to take it out there when I get it finished.

7. Collapse Details
    We managed to make some more progress on this. We received all the material for the nose so we started off cutting tubing. After cutting everything, we had to drill 4 holes in 4 pieces of tubing. They need to line up pretty well because there are plates with weld nuts that get slid inside of the tubing to provide mounting points. Our Bridgeport is a great way to do this.

Once the pieces were drill and welded the inserts in, we used a square to lay them out. You can see the directions book in the background suggesting to o do it this way. It sure makes it way easy and quick.

Another sub assembly needed to be made before we could put the nose together. The jig table makes this pretty easy. We had to do several so we put the 90s on to make it easy to load a second set of tubing without having to do a bunch of centering again.

We put some tabs on them and called them done for now.

We cut out this alignment plate on our cnc plasma and bolted it to the inserts that we had welded in previously. This let us line up the sub assembly and the front lower control arm mount.

We rolled it up on it's front so we could put in the spacer tubes. It was close but not quite the correct dimensions we had to pull it in line.

We had to make one more sub assembly before we could put the nose together.

Here's one of the nose pieces with everything all tacked together.

8. Collapse Details
    Beautiful work. I really like the jig(s) you have set up there. Makes the process go so much smoother when everything is lined up and square!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Collapse Details
    Looking really great. Good to see two more coming together.

10. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Man I keep on lookin at yer frickin table SWEET oh and the ar progress is great also!!!
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast