Thread: 2003 zx6r help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2003 zx6r help
    I've been building a car with a zx6r an I'm new to all of this. Anyone one know much about the 2003 zx6rr? I've got the motor in the car but can't get the motor to crank. I can get the gauges to come on but can't get the engine to crank when pushing the start button. The motor cranks when I jump the relay but that's all what switches need to be by passed an how do I by pass them? Are there resisters that need to be in place? An how so?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 2003 zx6r help
    first thing you should do is connect the factory wiring harness and switches just like it would be in the bike as much as possible.
    if the engine wont crank its more than likley in gear(make sure u have a neutral light on the cluster)or engage the switmch on the clutch lever.
    Most MC electricals are very reliable and you often dont get issues with the factory set up, get it going on the factory set up first and then work from there.It also helps if you have a wiring diagram too
    good luck

3. Collapse Details
    I've set it up the best I could the way it came off the bike. The problem is I didn't pull the motor off the bike I won't make that mistake again cause it was missing things All of the connections to the wiring harness are connected except for three connections I can't identify from pictures or the schematic I ve been trying to figure out how to post pictures to see if someone could identify them

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to the madness and the frustrating world of wire harnesses.

Here's how to go about posting pictures (please try to keep them 800 pixels wide or less)

Find a wire diagram and you'll be able to chase what's what via the color coding of the wires.

Clutch safety switch, kill switch and kick stand switch would be the first three places I'd look if it's not wanting to turn over.

5. Collapse Details
    I've looked over the wiring schematic and found the rear tail light license plate switch Are the lights necessary important to this motor to starting?

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Lights shouldn't be part of the running circuit - but I could be wrong too.

7. Collapse Details
    I've been staring at a 2001 ZX6R diagram. I don't know if there are any differences between 2001 and 2003, but here's my take...

The ignition switch must be in the run position, kill switch must be open/run, and the clutch switch must be in to crank the motor.

It also looks like a neutral mode or other ignition setup exists such that being in neutral, side stand down and clutch not pulled in will limit rpm. I think that's what they're doing. If you pull the clutch in, put the side stand up, or put it in gear this limiter appears to be disabled. This limiter is all a guess from what I've quickly read--I haven't looked at the ignition schematics.

Look at the wiring diagram here:

2001 zx6r in need of a wiring diagram....anyone? : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

In the upper right hand corner of the diagram find the "starter circuit relay."

The white rectangular looking device in the grey box is the coil. When enough voltage is connected across the coil it will magnetically make up or connect the contact attached to the coil by a dashed line on the digram. The moving contact is the dark black line that moves on the dashed line to connect to the white circles. This circuit is also connected to the coil on the headlight relay and thus the headlights shut off during cranking.

The power from the + terminal of the battery (bottom middle) flows through the main fuse to the ignition switch (top left) and then to the ignitor (bottom right). It then fans out to the the starter circuit relay (top left), start switch (top middle), and fuel pump relay (top middle).
    Last edited by wjfawb0; 06-19-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: forgot to mention kill/stop switch and called ignition by wrong name

8. Collapse Details
    What about the tip over switch?

Do you have that in the correct position?

If the switch is laying over then you wont be able to start the motor.

You can bypass it by filling it with silicone, or finding the correct resistor to put inline.

If you do not have one, and you have a empty plug in the wire harness then that is probably where the issue lie's.

9. Collapse Details
    The switch is a little black box, and should have "up" printed on the top of it.

This is what yours should look like

10. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately there really isn't a better way to diagnose these things besides spending a lot of time with the wiring diagram and a multimeter, unless you're a super experienced bike whisperer.

I recently got a 05 zx6r running, turned out to be a fried ECU and relay box. The voltage regulator had died and caused the alternator to fry everything. $120 of ebay parts and 12 hours of work, took a lot of patience.

Go through the diagram and make sure all the sensors and safeties (kick stand, tip over, neutral, etc) are in the right position. Make sure you're not blowing any fuses, if you are, find the short/fried part and fix/replace it. Open your relay box and look for burnt spots or damage to the board. You should also hear your fuel pump prime as soon as you put everything in the run position, before you hit start, it sounds like a servo or R2D2 noise. Also, find out what those loose connectors are, they may be safety switches or sensors that have to be connected or hotwired before it will start. Try to find a shop manual online, they usually have some flow charts to diagnose non-starts, and describe how to identify faulty parts.

Take your time, check each component one by one and label them as you go through, eventually you'll find the right one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast