Thread: AR51 in Mo.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    AR51 in Mo.
    I wanted to have a little more progress to show before I started this log but it is what it is. So i was gonna build a Rorty buggy about 2 years ago. Then RickS and talk of plans in the works for the AR51 caught my attention. So i decided I would just wait for a while and save some money while he refined his plans. I then got busy with life and other projects and hadn't visited the forum for quite a while. Then one day i googled something and the first thing on the screen was a thread here at MBN with related content. I realized i had not been here in a long time so i logged in and to my amazement seen 2 AR51 builds. Emailed Rick and asked about plans and the next day they were in my inbox. All i can say is Bravo Rick! Bravo! I will be ordering all the plate work from Rick soon.

I started on the bungs and rod ends sat but didnt make it very far before i broke the belt on my lathe. So as soon as a new belt and left hand thread taps arrive I should have some more to show.
    Last edited by butch; 04-02-2012 at 03:57 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: AR51 in Mo.
    It's great to see another AR51 being built. You'll love the plans and the plate kits are a work of art everything just fitts together. You've got a lathe so your going to fab a big part of the build your self ?. What plans do you have for a power plant ?" Rick's right on" if you run into any issues he's more than happy to offer solutions . He can sure pack a lot of parts in a small package. Have fun and keep us post of the progress as you get building you'll be amazed at this buggy I know I am.
    Blair

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome back butch.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    It's great to see another one getting started. I'm mostly finished with my AR51. Rick is sending some pedal box parts and my fuel tank now. Once I have those I should have a few weeks worth of work to tackle. I've been working on mine on nights and weekends, and it has gone by pretty fast with Rick's help.

5. Collapse Details
    Nice. Keep going!

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. Still waiting on my belt for my lathe. (I'm not gonna complain about the little HF lathe, I've had it for 5/6 years and this is the first belt I've busted" I did get my plates ordered from Rick. The plans provide all the dims to draw them yourself but the way I see it is I still have to send the files out for cutting so I figure Rick should get paid for all the hard work he has invested. I'm taking next week off from work so I should be able to go get some tubing and get started on the chassis. I will definitely takes pics and post them.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
    It's great to see another one getting started. I'm mostly finished with my AR51. Rick is sending some pedal box parts and my fuel tank now. Once I have those I should have a few weeks worth of work to tackle. I've been working on mine on nights and weekends, and it has gone by pretty fast with Rick's help.
    wj, your build is really coming along. Thanks for the pics in your thread. I hope mine goes as fast as yours. My father in-law owns about 300 acres of row crop ground and that's where I do the majority of my riding. But I cant ride during the summer or after the crops have been planted so I'm going to try to have it going by this fall.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sodman View Post
    It's great to see another AR51 being built. You'll love the plans and the plate kits are a work of art everything just fitts together. You've got a lathe so your going to fab a big part of the build your self ?. What plans do you have for a power plant ?" Rick's right on" if you run into any issues he's more than happy to offer solutions . He can sure pack a lot of parts in a small package. Have fun and keep us post of the progress as you get building you'll be amazed at this buggy I know I am.
    Blair
    sodman, your machine work is top notch man. I wish i had a mill. I ordered all of the parts from Rick. I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.
    It's highly unlikely that this will be your last build... trust me

Having said that, I built my first buggy with a welder, grinder, and a drill press.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    sodman, your machine work is top notch man. I wish i had a mill. I ordered all of the parts from Rick. I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.
    Check ebay. I bought a kondia Bridgeport style manual knee mill for 1,000.00 about 8 years ago and it is still running fine. Buyer beware though. I bought it sight unseen and shipped from Calif to Mo. I bought it from machinery exchange, stand up company. I got what they said I would get. Just thought I would post the info.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast