MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Suspension - Wheels & Tires

Suspension - Wheels & Tires All things suspension, wheel and tire talk for off-road buggies and sand rails

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beware SLIME tire sealant eats aluminum

I put SLIME tire sealant in my tires, I have aluminum rims. About 7 months later I had to replace a tire, when I removed the tire and washed the rim there where hard green blobs on my rim. I took a wire wheel on a drill to remove the green blobs and under the blobs the rim had been eaten up by the Slime tire sealant. The eaten up spots ranged from 0.005 inch to 0.05 inch deep and 0.1 to 0.2 inch in diameter. I had hundreds of these spots on my rims. I took the tires off my other 5 rims and the same thing had happen to them. I called OMF Wheels to see if they seen this problem, they told me that SLIME tire sealant eats aluminum and will holes in the rims. OMF Wheels told me the tire sealants that are safe for aluminum rims are Barrymans tire sealant and Amerseal tire sealant. OMF Wheels said if the aluminum rim is powder coated then SLIME tire sealant would be OK to use, but if you have brakes in the power coat the SLIME would eat the rim in those areas. My rims are mess up now I have many hundreds of eaten up spots on my rims , some are 0.05 inch deep.
stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Beware SLIME tire sealant eats aluminum

Here are pictures of the hard green blobs on my rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slime rim damage 001.jpg (45.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg slime rim damage 002.jpg (31.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here are pictures of the rim with the eaten up areas on it. I have a cheap camera so it does a poor job picking up fine details. When you look a the rims in person it looks real bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slime rim damage 005.jpg (28.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg slime rim damage 007.jpg (38.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg slime rim damage 008.jpg (31.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

wow thats gay! they should put that on the bottle
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe you could clean the rims real good and put on a coat or two of some kind of sealer and keep on using them. Thanks for the warning about slime, i will not use that brand now.
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Cold Spring MN A meer 18 hrs & 100 gal Uf Fuel To St Anthony

I learned that a few years back about slime the other thing is the shits Toxic I was told if ya come in contact with it to much you will glow in the dark in a eary green glow Just kiddin abou the glow but the shit is not good to come in contact with your skin..

My channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/tazapex
Rat4020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting as i have been using it in my Douglas aluminum rims for 4 years ands no issues.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

So far I've had great luck with Slime. Been using it for a few years for various vehicles around the place. I think I remember there being a warning somewhere that there might be damage with aluminum rims.

I also know that they're always talking about it being environmentally safe so I doubt it's toxic. I've washed it out before (with just water) and never had issues with it in contact to my skin. Not that I'd recommend using it as hand soap or anything

Regardless that's a shame..and not a happy surprise for anyone. Hope you have better luck.
cal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is is on FAQ slimE site:

•I’ve heard that SLiME will ruin my rims?
Our SLiME Sealant for tubeless tires is formulated with rust and corrosion inhibitors as well as a pH buffer making the product more alkaline. All of these ingredients work to protect the integrity of your rim. It is important to note there are factors which can allow damage to occur in spite of this. If you want to err on the side of caution, you can use SLiME as a roadside repair. All you need is SLiME and an air compressor! SLiME can have an adverse affect on certain types of aluminum rims. Because alloys differ, it is difficult to predict how SLiME will react with your rims specifically. Over the years, though, we have found that older rims are more susceptible to damage from SLiME. Make sure that, if you have tubeless tires, you are using our tubeless formula. Our inner tube formula does not contain rust and corrosion inhibitors. Do not leave SLiME inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using SLiME.

Did you know that there was a tubeless formula.

Last edited by Gotted; 04-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: adaE
Gotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used the Tire Sealant. I did not use the Tube Sealant. My rims where 8 months old, I had they custom built by OMF Wheels. The SLIME sealant was in my tires for 7 months. So Beware.
Sponsored Links