MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Suspension - Wheels & Tires

Suspension - Wheels & Tires All things suspension, wheel and tire talk for off-road buggies and sand rails

Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hub design

i need help!!

i am using double wishbone on my front suspension and trailing arm at the rear. how does the hub design differ?

what material should i use for the hub designs?

and what kind of loads does the hub undergo?

my first time

thanx
prashantrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Default Re: hub design

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantrao View Post
i need help!!

i am using double wishbone on my front suspension and trailing arm at the rear. how does the hub design differ?

what material should i use for the hub designs?

and what kind of loads does the hub undergo?

my first time

thanx
Kinda a loaded question.... Ok well with the front hub will need to turn but also with the front arm needs to have King pin inclination>camber> caster... and at different heights it can be hard to get the ideal angles.... Front ends look easy....But looks and effects are 2 different beast....
Rear hubs come in many different types... And if you search on this site there is lots of different threads with what others are using. That being said what kinda project are you building and or what are you building>> This way others can answer your question more directly... I could throw out a general item but with out knowing what size motor and buggy(I.E 2 seater or single seat buggy) its throwing general answers.

Once we know some back ground info we can answer the but material and load questions..... Plus are you building it from scratch and or are you modifying a existing chassis????

I guess we need some more info to work with the questions better.
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

well,
iam preparing for saebaja. and i come from a college where our team will be the first ever to participate from our institute. i need to know the design procedure for hubs as i haven't done it before. but that's what engg. is : a challenge.

the engine is 340cc having a max torque:19Nm@3000RPM, rated power: 8Kw@4400Rpm.

i am confused in the wheel assembly completely. i'll be using a 25"tire targeting 36mph. front double wishbones in the front and trailing arm at the rear.
how does the hub differ in geometry at the rear with respect to the front.

i guess a 2dgree +ve camber should suffice
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

The hub is the part the wheel bolts to. On a rear wheel drive vehicle, the front hubs usually have bearings that fit into them, and they slide on to a shaft (the spindle) which they rotate on. Rear hubs need to turn with the axle, so they have a splined or keyed bore which locks it to the drive shaft or CV joint. Then the drive shaft/cv joint is mounted on bearings which allow it to rotate.

Uprights are the part that connect the hub and suspension links together. There are dozens of ways to design a front upright. Just look around this site at the build logs and you can get plenty of ideas. Of course you will also have to understand front end geometry. Rear uprights tend to be simpler since there is no steering going on.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Well I looked in to SAE BAJA and is it a vehicle that competes in a school based equal race where all the cars have strict guidelines link in this link http://www.sae.org/students/mbrules.pdf

Because it looks like most of the cars as listed on it are quad ATV based....

Ok well here goes ... Since the front hub has the ability to turn... and would need to handle bumps with out throwing the steering around It has a lot of angles that need to match up...

And since the rear hub is a single plain(Up and down no turning) Well that can be a lot easier to achieve

Here is 2 pics of what I found on SAE buggies.... Is this what your building???? And I wouldn't go pink unless you have ladies on your team...
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Also I forget to mention that if you have no idea where to start with hub and upright design, you may consider just buying the parts. You could use parts from an ATV; this is commonly done in Baja SAE. Then you would only have to make the suspension members themselves, and not worry about the other stuff.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

@minbajaman..... thanx a lot it does give out a better picture.... i guess since it is for the first time, i should consider buying parts, but then so i design(cad) according to the standard dimensions?

@chikin1974.... thanx i get the difference
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, I would spend a bit of time just scrolling through pictures on here (MBN). "A picture is worth a thousand words" holds very true. Also you will start to see trends or similarities that work on different vehicles. Once you see how things are commonly done and why, design will be much easier.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links