MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Suspension - Wheels & Tires

Suspension - Wheels & Tires All things suspension, wheel and tire talk for off-road buggies and sand rails

Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wheel n tire geometry

well, i will be using a tire of 25" dia, but i am not sure of the wheel geometry, is there a thumb rule for it? and how to calculate the print or the aspect ratio for my tire.

i want to achieve 36mph-60kmph
axle speed 490rpm on top gear.

help m confused now. it's my first time.

so after i decide my tire n wheel geometry, i fix the ground clearance, arrange my suspension accordingly(suspension length n mounting) and proceed... with other calculations...... please correct if i am wrong.

thanx
prashantrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default Re: wheel n tire geometry

If you have decided on a tire diameter, then you just need to decide what tire width you want to use, and then select a wheel that works for those criteria. If you are using 25" ATV tires, then you can get wheels in 10", 11", 12" diameters and varying widths. The only other factor would be offset, which is determined by your suspension, hub, and upright design.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

oh well thanx a lot...... could you please elaborate on the the wheel offset calculation please
prashantrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Here is a good illustration:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/do...d%20Offset.pdf

You want to pick a wheel offset that works best for your suspension. If you are designing a front upright and hub, then you would have to pick the wheel size and offset first. If you are buying ATV front uprights and hubs, then you would need to pick the wheel offset normally used by that ATV. Changing the offset later would affect the scrub radius which may compromise turning. Also overall buggy width will change if you change offset.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links