Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: sorta bullet single seater
    My frame is definitely not square...it's a buggy not meant to be on the road so I figure I won't even notice. Lol

2. Collapse Details
    I think the project looks great.

3. Collapse Details
    thanks, it is fun, hit plus 1 here today so I took it out for a boot

4. Collapse Details
    photo 1.JPGI mentioned previously some revisions, first and biggest was the steering, having read a warning on this site about this I still pulled a major fumb ducker. After all the measuring, trial fitting, angle checking it wasn't until I had everything assembled, finished welded and ready for a trial run did I find that I had the box in upside down, turned the wheel and the tires went the other way. Originally I was going rear steer but ran into space issues in the front so I swapped the spindles around and went front steer and in a moment of blind stupid flipped the box and mounted it without thinking about the implications. After the dance of rage was over and the blue air cleared, I replaced the cross brace, mounting plate and steering shaft, lesson learned, I hope

5. Collapse Details
    The next problem was the brakes, the first pedal I made did not work well, not enough leverage and poor angle. Found a better pedal and with some modification had better resultphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

6. Collapse Details
    The next problem was fueling and this one had several issues. When I bought the project I was told the engine was a runner, but had been sitting in a shed for 5 years or so. Shortly after getting it home I mounted it on an engine stand, pulled the carbs and did a quick clean, hooked up the wireing, battery and some fluids and sure enough with a little farting around she fired up. Did not run well but then the carbs were truly ugly inside so I figured a proper cleaning would solve that, those carbs were not virgin, far from it, I have never seen so many mangled screws on a bank of carbs before, more than half had been removed with vise grips at one time or another. After a run through the ultrasonic I started looking at the bits and a lot of the brass parts were seriously etched, don't know what was used to clean them previously, but it was really corrosive, enough that I could not find any numbers on the jets. So now I have an engine with pod filters on it, a remanufactured header and no idea of the jetting. Actually runs ok, a little flat off idle but not too bad. Next problem was the tank, used a sled tank because I had it and it fit the space nicely, yes I know that pumps don't like to pull but I hoped that if I kept the suction line short it would work, well it did and it didn't. Turn the key on pump fills carbs, engine starts, runs for a bit then gets lean, ok I change suction hose in tank thinking its getting air, still no better. Pull output line and put in tank and turn key on, pumps like a damn, now I'm really scratching my head, spent a few weeks monkeying around with it and no better result, so I get another tank with bung on the bottom build a mounting bucket, supports and install, and it STILL doesn't F#@&%G work! Now I'm really getting frustrated, back to monkeying around, put output hose back in tank and turn on key, pumps like a damn, pinch line pump stops, let go starts pumping, well WTF! as I'm standing there wondering what in the wide world of sports is going on the pump stops, now what? I employ diagnostic #1 and give the pump a rap with a screwdriver, nothing. I turn key off/on pump starts up, I go through the same bit of monkey motion with the same result, pump runs for a while then shuts off. Ok, had to sit and think about this for a bit but it made sense, tank is above carbs in bike so pump precharged carbs to start and for a bit after them stopped as gravity would take over, alright then! we just need to go around the relay, well that worked but not well, would tend to over fuel when it got rough and bouncy. So I rebuilt the support brackets and put the tank above the carbs and no pump, finally it worksphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGnot sure why my pics loaded sideways
    Last edited by fz bullet; 02-05-2018 at 03:12 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    photo 3.JPGThe shifter was the next thing I had to change, had originally gone with a cable from the handle to the trans, seemed to work great as I was putting it together but even though the bends were gentle there was too much stiction and I kept missing gears or jamming them. I still have some cable but I went with a pivot and linkages for the rest. Also had to change the ratio on the throttle pedal, was too direct. When things got rough my foot would be blipping the throttle just making it worse.
    Last edited by fz bullet; 02-05-2018 at 03:16 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    The next problem that came up as over heating, would run good for about 15 min of hard riding then would lose power and stall then just wouldn't run till it cooled down. Checked the coolant, ok checked thermostat , ok checked pump, ok checked for circulation/ air pockets, ok . Now I'm looking at the hose routeing, on the bike the rad was rather high and narrow sitting above the header in front of valve cover, so the return line(metal pipe) wound around the header and back to the pump, so that has me thinking maybe with the engine behind the seat the return is picking up heat from lack of air movement. So I cut out most of it and re-route it up beside engine where it should see some air flow. Well that helped a little, but not enough. Now I start looking at the motor, why is it getting hot? Started it up and let it run listening for bearing noise and checking with heat gun, its getting hot but nothing obvious so I drop the oil and take a close look, no gold in the pan so thats ok, let it cool down over night, new oil, pull the plugs and do compression test, not great 95 to 105 psi, plugs look good so throw them back in and start it up and let it run till it gets hot, and do compression test again, now I have 60 30 30 zip! Tight valves, so I pulled the cover, checked the clearances sure enough that's what it was. Phoned up the local Yam dealer asking if they have shim kits ( shim under bucket), says they do come on down. When I get there he puts the containers on the counter, he's got two sizes asks which do I need, I say that those don't look like what I have. So I try explaining the type that I have and he says he's never seen or heard of that and I'll just have to bring one in. So back home and back to the dealer, well the owner/ mechanic and the parts man are mystified never seen the like of it, so out comes the microfische which makes the parts man real happy (not), finds the part number and looks it up. Thankfully they're available , only in .05 increments and not too dear, 8$ a pop. I was able to swap 6 around but had to buy 8. Turns out they were only used on the FZ 750 engine, probably explains why neither had seen them before, that and they were maybe 8 and 10yrs old when that engine was newsAttachment 36005

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fz bullet View Post
    photo 1.JPGI mentioned previously some revisions, first and biggest was the steering, having read a warning on this site about this I still pulled a major fumb ducker. After all the measuring, trial fitting, angle checking it wasn't until I had everything assembled, finished welded and ready for a trial run did I find that I had the box in upside down, turned the wheel and the tires went the other way. Originally I was going rear steer but ran into space issues in the front so I swapped the spindles around and went front steer and in a moment of blind stupid flipped the box and mounted it without thinking about the implications. After the dance of rage was over and the blue air cleared, I replaced the cross brace, mounting plate and steering shaft, lesson learned, I hope
    HAHAHA!!!! only laugh because I did the same thing on my car. LOL

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2