Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: CNC plasma tube notching w/ bendtech.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidio1 View Post
    You would need to be able to change the parameters in your software. It would need to change from your table X (4ft or whatever it is) to your new X (20ft or stick length). You would also need to run limit and home switches on your new axis that need to be read by your software. I'm assuming your table homes when boots. Open loop CNC will typically home to find out where it is, and the limit is to prevent major damage from crashing.

If your software allows it would be easier to just add a new driver and switches for your axis. It's usually X,Y,Z then A,B,C. Bear in mind ABC are usually measured as rotational in degrees, etc. so it takes an extra math step when writing your G code to get distance, just something to keep in mind.......

I can buy an additional axis card for the machine, it has 5 slots, i'm currently only using 3.

I called torchmate -the manufacturer of my table- and they said I can setup different settings to assign different drives to the axis ports, so i'm assuming I can setup new parameters within those settings as well, but I will check.

My home will be the left lower corner, which I manually jog the machine over to and then zero out everything as a home, I would manually jog the torch to where I want it to start for the notching, write down that number and I can punch in the number every time I want to set it up for notching. I would then then unplug the X axis from the gantry and run it to the X axis of the 4th. axis and change the setting over for the new assignment drives and parameters, which would also turn on the 4th. axis port.

I don't have to write the G-code, the torchmate cad program does that for me. I can either use torchmate cad as a stand alone unit, or what I am pretty sure will happen is I will continue using solidworks to design everything, then take the DXF file over to the torchmate cad, plug it in, type in the tip i'm using and the torchmate program writes all the g code for me with the correct offset so a part is the same size as the drawing without having to factor in cutting loss around the edge......
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

2. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Sorry my connection to this forum has been going DOWN more offen than not, really SUCKS.
    I'm not familiar with the torchmate software at all but I do know they use the basic NEMA23 stepper motors which is what my machine takes. Somewhere in the software there has to be a setting that calibrates each axis so you can 1) compensate for the gearing differences on the feed and 2) set the differences in the distance around the tubing. 1 is obvious but 2 is more complex, basically when I tell the Y axis to move 4.71 inches on a 1.5" tube it moves the tube exactly 1 turn. Then you can use the something like the bendtech wrap dxf output import into the torchmate soft. and assign your cutting paths.

Right now this machine is piggybacked onto my machine with a couple of 4 contact 2 way switches. I turn off the machine and flip the switches then load the correct machine profile with all my settings for the feed and tube diameter.

Todays fun-

Jgs tubepro plasma tube cutting machine - YouTube

Making my A-arm ends with Zerk hole. Close enough just to run a tap into the hole.

3. Collapse Details
    I know the torchmate is able to calculate the round tube speed somehow, all the g code is written automatically when you put the file in torchmate cad.

Solidworks has a function where I can take a tube, cut a small slit down the length and then unwrap it to give me a flat DXF cut file, which would look like the cutout your talking about doing with bendtec.
    918-521-3736

4. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    I tried the solid works method, it doesn't fit because it doesn't compensate for the wall thickness. You actually need the if of the notch cut on the outside. But then it would need scaled to match the of circumference .

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSturbo View Post
    I tried the solid works method, it doesn't fit because it doesn't compensate for the wall thickness. You actually need the if of the notch cut on the outside. But then it would need scaled to match the of circumference .
    Are you saying the tube ends up being too long? Define "doesn't fit"

Also, i'm assuming the first "if" means id and the second "if" means od, correct?.....
    918-521-3736

6. Collapse Details
    "My home will be the left lower corner, which I manually jog the machine over to and then zero out everything as a home, I would manually jog the torch to where I want it to start for the notching, write down that number and I can punch in the number every time I want to set it up for notching"

Just as an FYI to make things easier once you get up to speed on your table, and to make it easier moving to other CNC equipment.
    Normally you would set the extent of the machine table ,as you said, to machine reference or machine home. The edge of your plate that you're cutting would be your part reference, sometimes called a secondary home.
    Your cut would start off the edge of the plate by calling an offset in your software. This would be the same offset shown when you look at your drawing in CAD. If you'r importing from AutoCad or Solidwaorks this should be automatic. You just need to build stops on 2 sides of your table so plate can be placed and replaced with repeatability. You should be able to edit your G code produced by Torchmate to add these in some sort of GUI. It should be something like a G28 or a G30. Torchmate should have a list of G codes somewhere for reference. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken it's been a few years, but there's little reason to do much manually with a CNC anything.

I can buy an additional axis card for the machine, it has 5 slots, i'm currently only using 3.

Normally additional axis for a plasma table are linear for things like engravers or scribes, oxy/act solenoids, etc. When you call for a movement with these additional driver cards just remember to multiply by Pi to get your length correct, hence to additional math step.

I've never tried it but I would think the OD would be the correct length, that's what the plasma is actually cutting.

7. Collapse Details
    Very cool JG.

Your going to open a lot peoples eyes with this.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Are you saying the tube ends up being too long? Define "doesn't fit"

Also, i'm assuming the first "if" means id and the second "if" means od, correct?.....
    Correct. The OD profile will leave the sharp ears without clearance for a tube to fit inside. The ID profile fits correctly but it won't wrap around the outside of a tube unless you scale an OD "wrap" in y to wrap around the outside.
    By profile I mean looking at a notch from the end and the profile being the outside or inside edge.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSturbo View Post
    Correct. The OD profile will leave the sharp ears without clearance for a tube to fit inside. The ID profile fits correctly but it won't wrap around the outside of a tube unless you scale an OD "wrap" in y to wrap around the outside.
    By profile I mean looking at a notch from the end and the profile being the outside or inside edge.

Interesting. If the program only works off the od cut, if it's too long at the top based off the id of the hole, wouldn't it also be too short based of the id hole from the bottom, which will basically make the part line up as if it's angled at a steeper angle?

If that's the case, it seems like you would just need to figure out a formula to compensate for that, so say a 45 degree notch would be cut at a 42 degrees (to pull the top od back and push the bottom od out) so it fits up correct.

The change wouldn't be the same degree for all of them though, because a 60 degree notch may have the same wall thickness, but cut at an angle, the id could be considerably farther in or out than the od, so there could be a 1/4" difference, where a 2 degree notch may have a 1/64" difference......

I don't suppose you would mind doing a 2 degree notch and a 70 degree notch, the butt it up against a tube and see what the actual angle difference comes out to would ya?
    918-521-3736

10. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master

The outer profile (black) is what would be cut with a hole saw notcher.
    The inner profile (blue) is what you need to cut with a torch.
    On the left is the processed wrap. Another idea is to program the machine to cut based on the ID of the tubing and to slit and roll out the ID of the bend. Bendtech makes it all very simple and IMO (as a Solidworks, ACAD and Gibbscam operator) its worth the labor of importing to get the notching (which cuts the tube to length and clocks the notches) and bending ref. hole. IT IS a big labor as you can't bring in even pieces of a DXF and maintain a common zero home point. So on every part I have to establish POINTS in the BT Assembly to attach eveything part to. Lots of copy/paste. Bendtech SE could definitely expand on the import option, at least give us a way to import DXF points

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast