MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ATV to Buggy conversion

Hello all! Glad I found this site of like minded gear heads. Until I found this place it was tough finding any other builds. No there's more on here than I could have imagined.

I'm just starting into a project of turning an ATV into small single seat buggy. I wanted to start with an ATV since it comes with a lot of the parts I need all in one place. Things like brakes, suspension, chassis bits.The "donor" vehicle is a Baja Motorsports 250cc ATV I bought off ebay for $200. It was pretty much a rolling chassis and boxes of parts. The gear reduction off the CVT drive had grenaded. The motor still ran great though. Since the motor was a CVT, I want gears!!!, and had some issues I decided not to use it. I was able to sell the engine and various other parts on ebay for $150 which brought my chassis cost down to $50.

The primary purpose for this little guy is woods/trails riding. My goal is to keep the chassis with motor under 250lbs. The chassis with wheels before starting was 175lbs. As Colin Chapman said- engineer in lightness.

For the time being I'm going with a Lifan 125cc Pit Bike motor as the primary motivation. The gearing is four speeds with a manual clutch. It's suppose to make about 9hp. Running the gear ratios and power through cartest(a great simulation program) this will be good for low 40's mph and decent acceleration. I was able to pick up a motor, exhaust, ignition, carb, oil cooler pretty much everything to have a running motor for $300. I would have liked something larger but due to the layout of the buggy I need a horizontal/flat type motor. I'll be sitting right where the engine used to live with my feet going up between the front a-arms. The motor will mount in the center of the cart and sitting to my right. I wanted a low profile motor since a vertical one would be in the way of my arm and view. My goal was to keep the weight low and off the rear swing arm. It looks like every mini-buggy I've seen has a swingarm mounted motor. My guess is that isn't the greatest for the motor and it's just awful for the suspension action. Having that much unsprung weight over the axle can't be good.

I bought and stripped the quad back in august. Due to house renovations I was just able to start fabbing my machine this week. As of right now I cut out the top of the chassis above where the motor was. The chassis is 16" across up until the front suspension. It then is only 8" wide. I cut the quad in haf right where the 16" wide part stopped. I then cut the whole front end in half length wise. The chassis was then lenghtened by 12" to allow enough leg and pedal travel room. The front end was made wider by 8". This makes the front track 50.5", the rear is at 44". I plan on making spacers to move the rear wheels out. This won't see any big air or anything along thos line so it seems the spacer solution should hold up. I'm a Design engineer/machinst so I have access to lots of cool toys to make this kind of stuff

Here is a pic of the quad as I got it. Ill be doing some more work on it tomorrow and will grab some new pics of it in progress!
banzairx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: ATV to Buggy conversion

Something along these lines you wanna build?
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Admin

Welcome to MBN!

We look forward to learning more about your project as it is within reach of many newbs. Keep posting progress.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex\";p=\&quot View Post
Something along these lines you wanna build?
It will be a beat beefier than that, more protection for me. Im imagining right now it will be kind of like sitting in a bath tub. Almost shoulder high side rails connecting the front and rear suspension points. Then a roll over hoop behind my head.

I have a kenbar streaker right now with a 6hp on it. I rolled that once in a parking lot. I came real close to getting hurt very badly. Safety is a priority for this one snce it will be a lot faster.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Vendor

Welcome banzairx7!
Rorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here are some pics of the stretched chassis. Tonight I sured up some of the tack welding then spent an hour or so planning the tubing layout.

Also measured the OAL, 77" from end to end.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

Very cool.

A buddy of mine takes the Bombardier (now Can-Am) 400 quads and makes a two seater out of them for desert tours. *They work quite well. *He uses about 90% of the quad.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nice ride I did the same thing but used 250 honda be careful with the narrow back end little unstable I rolled mine . I built full body around i made spacers for rear wheels brought them out 6" much more stable now .
Good luck with the build this site will help u with anything . [smilie=big_explode.gif]
millwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Admin

I need to see the seat, pedals and engine in that thing. Seems too short if you plan to sit in it rather than on it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene\";p=\&quot View Post
I need to see the seat, pedals and engine in that thing. Seems too short if you plan to sit in it rather than on it.
I tend to agree........a person can fit in that opening but then where does the engine go?