MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #51 (permalink)

Default Re: The Briggsbuilt Generation IV Cars

Just wondering, with the lite class rules forum leaning toward a slightly larger car, do you think these (and other smaller cars that comformed to the old rules) would be at a competitive advantage/disadvantage when going up against larger cars?
muddybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #52 (permalink)

This brings back a lot of memories of long nights in the shop making reams of parts for all the guys in the Stadium events. *I wish I could say I made a lot of money doing it but I'm a much better machinist than a businessman! *Literally trash cans full of small aluminum chips from all the billet work done BY HAND (no CNC). *On the Briggsbuilt cars, it was my responcibility to supply and make just about everything that moved. *Even the drive and driven clutches were hand made due to the violent nature of the Stadium events as the stock Salisbury units would explode. *HRD Racing (Harold Holladay) assembled the clutches and entered a great car, Bob Briggs designed and built the cars and had me machine the rear carriers and make front spindle parts, all hubs, wheel centers, rear axles, rack and pinion units, billet three speed option (two speeds were completed) transmissions with inboard VW Type 4 CV's (back to back in the middle of the trans) and various widgets all over the cars. *This and keep everybody else running with a lot of the same parts! *I couldn't do it now; too old.

What most people don't know is the "comical" Odysseys, as they were known at the beginning were a far cry from the Stadium Lites that you see here. *They were truly laughable as a race vehicle. *No rear suspension, no ply tires, 'J' arm front suspension, bumb steer up the arse, exploding gearboxes, wheels that would shear off, you name it. *With a few rules changes like allowing aftermarket gearboxes and chassis, bigger modified motors, better safety equipment, and the work that people like Bob Briggs, Rennie Awana, Harold Holladay, Ed at Tripple EEE, and even the guys at Quicksilver, the Stadium Superlites as they became known were truly Super. *They went from being the laughing stock to the fastest thing on the any track setting fastest time and most crowd appreciation bar non. *It was a great time and I am just very glad to have been there. *I wish someone would bring back short course racing as I have an itch to drag my old car out of the garage, dust it off and mix some fresh fuel and give you young'uns a good thrashing! *Don't get me started... my chiropractor would kill me!

Danno
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #53 (permalink)

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddybuddy\";p=\&quot View Post
Just wondering, with the lite class rules forum leaning toward a slightly larger car, do you think these (and other smaller cars that comformed to the old rules) would be at a competitive advantage/disadvantage when going up against larger cars?
I'm not scared one bit of any other car. *These things handle better than ANY off road vehicle I've ever been in and with the power to weight ratio and the ability to put the power to the ground unlike many overpowered cars, I don't think I'll be at any disadvantage at all.

With the two stroke engines the cars were blisteringly fast - each engine made around 80 hp +/- 5 to 7, from what I understand. *The new Phazer engines make 80 hp and at the jack shaft are putting out 62 ft-lbs of torque. *There's no way the two strokes made that sort of torque - I'd venture a guess that I'm going to end up with probably 40% more. *A two cylinder four stroke versus a single cylinder two stroke - the four banger's gonna win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnbolt2002\";p=\&quot View Post
K-fab, love that car, how do you set up the distance between the drive and driven pulley?
LOL - really technically.... * I got the clutches (engine) aligned this morning and then, with the belt installed, pulled the engine forward until the belt had just enough tension that I could remove it from the clutches - with a bit of effort. *As odd as this sounds, it's worked before. *

I had to take this approach because the stock Yamaha drive clutch is about .600" larger in diameter than the Power-bloc that came with the car and the FL350 clutch that came with the car is a lot smaller than the stock Yamaha driven - if I had been able to keep the Yamaha clutches (or the primary and a driven of the same diameter) then I would have been able to use the stock 10.57" center to center distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksand\";p=\&quot View Post
anymore progress K-fab???
Got the front engine mount made yesterday, worked on the rear mount today and should finish it and get it mounted tomorrow.

I forgot to bring home my camera today. *I'll try to get pix up tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fab\";p=\&quot View Post
I'm not scared one bit of any other car. *These things handle better than ANY off road vehicle I've ever been in and with the power to weight ratio and the ability to put the power to the ground unlike many overpowered cars, I don't think I'll be at any disadvantage at all.
I'm tellin you man, watch out........you'll turn around and find RM stickers on your car!
hero_saku39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #55 (permalink)

Administrator

NO SUZUKI!!! *Those things hurt me!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #56 (permalink)

K-fab let me know when you are ready for orders,lol...
sicksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #57 (permalink)

I think the Suzuki operator hurts you. [smilie=ext_crutch.gif]
hero_saku39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #58 (permalink)

Will somebody build sicksand a stadium lite already!Sheesh.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #59 (permalink)

Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnerd\";p=\&quot View Post
Will somebody build sicksand a stadium lite already!Sheesh.

Plans now available

WWW.PTLRACING.COM

PROTODIE PARTS

Come Race With Us
ProtoDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #60 (permalink)

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno\";p=\&quot View Post
This brings back a lot of memories of long nights in the shop making reams of parts for all the guys in the Stadium events. *I wish I could say I made a lot of money doing it but I'm a much better machinist than a businessman! *Literally trash cans full of small aluminum chips from all the billet work done BY HAND (no CNC). *On the Briggsbuilt cars, it was my responcibility to supply and make just about everything that moved. *Even the drive and driven clutches were hand made due to the violent nature of the Stadium events as the stock Salisbury units would explode. *HRD Racing (Harold Holladay) assembled the clutches and entered a great car, Bob Briggs designed and built the cars and had me machine the rear carriers and make front spindle parts, all hubs, wheel centers, rear axles, rack and pinion units, billet three speed option (two speeds were completed) transmissions with inboard VW Type 4 CV's (back to back in the middle of the trans) and various widgets all over the cars. *This and keep everybody else running with a lot of the same parts! *I couldn't do it now; too old.
To Danno: *
Your work is amazing. *

Did you do the lower a-arms and the upper rear arms that the shocks mount to? *If I show you a jig, can you tell me what it is?

Got the engine mounts done today - still need to weld in the right rear (sorry, no pix yet) and weld in the front mount. *The left rear mount's billet aluminum that bolts to the tranny.

Won't get a chance to work on it this weekend - but I do plan on taking #1 & #2 to the local motocross track and attacking the smaller (read - no jumps) track while the big track is holding an MX race on Sunday morning. *The owner of the track said "Bring 'em on." *This should mess with the minds of many motocrossers. *

Monday I'll stick the seat back in along with the throttle bodies and see what sort of challenge I'll have for the air box. *I also need to put a new upper cross bar back in that clears the TBs, start running the wire harness, the oil system, the cooling and make a fuel tank. *The list is long, but getting shorter. *I'm going to have to figure out an exhaust system too - I would like to use the stock muffler (it's quiet), but it's heavy. *It fits in the back of the car very nicely. *Jury's still out on this one, I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00198.JPG (139.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00199.JPG (120.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00200.JPG (107.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00202.JPG (82.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00203.JPG (106.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00204.JPG (77.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00205.JPG (93.3 KB, 71 views)