Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Getting a Vin and Title for a Minibuggy -- ST4
    I know this isn't the best area to post this but I need some answers quickly and this area has the most activity...

I'm in the final stages of my build and am now starting the process of applying for a VIN and title so I can register it to use off road. I've been looking everywhere and haven't found any answers, so I have some questions:

- First off I live in Washington State:

1. When applying for a vin inspection, what do I refer to it as? Just a self-assembled ORV? A sand rail?
    2. Would invoices from pay-pal and matching bank statements work for proof of purchase for the major components?
    3. ^^^If not what else... most parts were off of eBay...

- ANY tips would be helpful, I've been scratching my head for a while. The Washington State Patrol website is not helpful and their hotline is all automated so I cannot get any answers from them...

Thanks - DH

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Getting a Vin and Title for a Minibuggy -- ST4
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I know this isn't the best area to post this but I need some answers quickly and this area has the most activity...

I'm in the final stages of my build and am now starting the process of applying for a VIN and title so I can register it to use off road. I've been looking everywhere and haven't found any answers, so I have some questions:

- First off I live in Washington State:

1. When applying for a vin inspection, what do I refer to it as? Just a self-assembled ORV? A sand rail?
    2. Would invoices from pay-pal and matching bank statements work for proof of purchase for the major components?
    3. ^^^If not what else... most parts were off of eBay...

- ANY tips would be helpful, I've been scratching my head for a while. The Washington State Patrol website is not helpful and their hotline is all automated so I cannot get any answers from them...

Thanks - DH
    I titled and registered my builds in Washington. I generally followed the rules for custom hot rod builds. Inspection was pretty easy. The State Patrol inspector was looking for receipts for major components. They didn’t like eBay receipts due to issues with stolen items being sold there but I had a few and that didn’t hang things up. For the motorcycle engines they were looking for evidence of the VIN of the bike that the engine came from. They also wanted a declared value for the buggy. Be careful there. After the inspection you take the paperwork that the inspector gives you to the DOL to get the title and tags and they charge you sales tax for the difference between the declared value and the value of the receipts that the inspector stamped. In my case on the first buggy the inspector didn’t stamp the receipts for the tubing, seat, rims, battery, brakes, etc etc so when I went to the DOL they charged sales tax on all that even though I had purchased it all new here in the state and could show that I already paid sales tax. So the next buggy I made the inspector include it all. Not a big dollar deal but just pissed me off that they did that the first time. Typical state money grubbers. As far as the vehicle safety part of the inspection it was pretty cursory. They didn’t check turn signals, brake lights, headlights, horn etc. The inspector just took a 20 second look to see that it did have seat belts and brakes on all 4wheels and that’s it. The whole inspection process took maybe 15 or 20 minutes. The last step of the inspection they attach the VIN tag so have a spot for it picked out.

Specifics on the home built hot rod rules for making it street legal were things like these... you do not need fenders as long as you say you won’t drive in the rain. You need either goggles or a windshield. I just temporarily rigged up a piece of plexi for the inspection only. You need a wiper so I just put in a cheap hand operated one that I got at the auto parts store for maybe $20. You need head lights, tail lights and a horn. Technically you don’t need turn signals but I rigged some temporary ones on it (just held on with old with hose clamps). They were just the ones from the wrecked bike that the engines came out of. You need seat belts. Again all that was to make it street legal.
    Last edited by rowycoracing; 05-25-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added detail at the end

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rowycoracing View Post
    I titled and registered my builds in Washington. I generally followed the rules for custom hot rod builds. Inspection was pretty easy. The State Patrol inspector was looking for receipts for major components. They didnít like eBay receipts due to issues with stolen items being sold there but I had a few and that didnít hang things up. For the motorcycle engines they were looking for evidence of the VIN of the bike that the engine came from. They also wanted a declared value for the buggy. Be careful there. After the inspection you take the paperwork that the inspector gives you to the DOL to get the title and tags and they charge you sales tax for the difference between the declared value and the value of the receipts that the inspector stamped. In my case on the first buggy the inspector didnít stamp the receipts for the tubing, seat, rims, battery, brakes, etc etc so when I went to the DOL they charged sales tax on all that even though I had purchased it all new here in the state and could show that I already paid sales tax. So the next buggy I made the inspector include it all. Not a big dollar deal but just pissed me off that they did that the first time. Typical state money grubbers. As far as the vehicle safety part of the inspection it was pretty cursory. They didnít check turn signals, brake lights, headlights, horn etc. The inspector just took a 20 second look to see that it did have seat belts and brakes on all 4wheels and thatís it. The whole inspection process took maybe 15 or 20 minutes. The last step of the inspection they attach the VIN tag so have a spot for it picked out.

Specifics on the home built hot rod rules for making it street legal were things like these... you do not need fenders as long as you say you wonít drive in the rain. You need either goggles or a windshield. I just temporarily rigged up a piece of plexi for the inspection only. You need a wiper so I just put in a cheap hand operated one that I got at the auto parts store for maybe $20. You need head lights, tail lights and a horn. Technically you donít need turn signals but I rigged some temporary ones on it (just held on with old with hose clamps). They were just the ones from the wrecked bike that the engines came out of. You need seat belts. Again all that was to make it street legal.
    Thank you for the information! I looked up the hot rod requirements on the washington DOL/DMV website and it said that it needs to resemble to look of a hot rod and have a manufacturing year of 1968 or later, it also said something about airbags..... how did you get around that?

Also funny thing is... I bought almost everything off of eBay but I have the PayPal receipts and can include matching bank statements, would that work?

Another funny thing, The engine was bought off eBay and the seller never included the VIN so can I call a dealer and try to match the engine ID code to a VIN on record?

I have an uneasy feeling about this, I guess it's my own fault for not looking up the registration process before building it... maybe I can go in and act like an oblivious 18 year old...

Thanks - DH

4. Collapse Details
    They don’t like eBay receipts, but they can’t dismiss them without cause. If that’s what you got, that’s what the6 have to work with.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    They don’t like eBay receipts, but they can’t dismiss them without cause. If that’s what you got, that’s what the6 have to work with.
    Thats the best news I've heard all month... what about the problem of not having the vin of the bike that the engine came from?

thanks-DH

6. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't address it. Provide your receipt from purchase (summary from the PayPal transaction will contain all the details needed for a proper receipt...eBay doesn't actually give you a receipt). It'll be like having bought parts from any salvage yard.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    I wouldn't address it. Provide your receipt from purchase (summary from the PayPal transaction will contain all the details needed for a proper receipt...eBay doesn't actually give you a receipt). It'll be like having bought parts from any salvage yard.
    Perfect I just printed off about 20 receipts from amazon and PayPal... and if I bought the wheels off of craigslist should I sell them to my friend and have him sell them back so we can create a bill of sale or should I just say I got them off of craigslist...?

thanks- DH

8. Collapse Details
    I would provide receipts for what I had receipts for and not mention anything else. In Texas I provided receipts for the steel I bought new, some eBay parts, and some miscellaneous stuff...what accounted for the frame and mounting hardware for just about everything else. The rest was stuff I already owned or bought with cash. They didn't ask.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Thank you for the information! I looked up the hot rod requirements on the washington DOL/DMV website and it said that it needs to resemble to look of a hot rod and have a manufacturing year of 1968 or later, it also said something about airbags..... how did you get around that?

Also funny thing is... I bought almost everything off of eBay but I have the PayPal receipts and can include matching bank statements, would that work?

Another funny thing, The engine was bought off eBay and the seller never included the VIN so can I call a dealer and try to match the engine ID code to a VIN on record?

I have an uneasy feeling about this, I guess it's my own fault for not looking up the registration process before building it... maybe I can go in and act like an oblivious 18 year old...

Thanks - DH
    They didn't care about or ask about air bags. They really didn't pay any attention at all to safety items like lights, turn signals etc. Like I mentioned the inspector only quickly looked to see if I had put seat belts in. I wouldn't be afraid of the process though. Bring what you have for paperwork and be up front about it and I would guess it will go OK.

10. Collapse Details
    So your saying I have a chance of being able to drive this thing on the street... hmmm.... where exactly did you go to get it inspected, like what part of Washington.... I also donít have a diff or fenders or anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast