Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Another build by Deranged
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    also looking forward to seeing this build

2. Collapse Details
    How do you plan on it looking, is it going to look like an old style bug with baba style fenders and the motor hanging out the rear end? Is the body going to drop over the frame, or is the body going to be a "base"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 98Blazer View Post
    How do you plan on it looking, is it going to look like an old style bug with baba style fenders and the motor hanging out the rear end? Is the body going to drop over the frame, or is the body going to be a "base"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I think we need a conceptual sketch ASAP!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    You guys are totally right! How can I get this started here without a proper visual of the build.
    The body will essentially be a shell that will "drop" onto the chassis. Kinda like an RC car. I will be using the doors to get in and out. Making the side bars similar to a prerunner to get in and out easier. i will be using the factory Beetle hood, but ditching all of the plastic stuff and possibly use or build small fenders for the old beetle.
    It will be a rear engine design. A total throwback to the OG Baja Bug but liquid cooled and the new body. The Subaru engine just fits that bill.

Here are some pictures of what i'm thinking. The red car is waaaaay over built for what I would do, but the main concept is there. The black car is spot on except the front fenders which are too wide IMO.
    I have been playing around with the front suspension too at Racing Aspirations. SUPER cool tool to get an initial design conceptualized to start out with.

Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    More i see the more i know how much is yet to learn.

Amazing.

I love this forum.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow that VW beetle tube chassis machine is epic - I've always wondered the purpose of offsetting the front suspension arms like they are (trophy karts are the other mass produced thing I've seen do it). In the grand scheme of things as far as scrub castor and camber it wouldn't make any difference... perhaps it is simply to allow for more leg room for the driver/passenger? The Subaru reverse gearset is crazy cool as well!

7. Collapse Details
    The upper set up is set up like that for a couple reasons. If you are running a coil over and a bypass shock this will allow for some room for the shocks. Another reason is that this does is it allows room for an engine. In this application its just clearance for shocks. Leg room would also be plus too.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    Holy moly... seriously looking forward to this build.

9. Collapse Details
    The red buggy takes me way back. That was built by one of my customers... ended up taking almost 2 years due to design changes by the owner if I recall correctly. I wish it would have stayed the way it was in the pictures, instead way overkill aluminum was done and it took away the overall appeal of the build. Still awesome, but hid alot of the details that Jason at Podium Prep was known for.

10. Collapse Details
    Oh WOW! Small world. HA I think I saw a picture of the bodywork you are referring to. I saw it and skimmed over it as it was kinda fugly, great work, but ugly. I wouldn't have even guessed that it was that red car! the way it was in the red configuration is a work of art for sure! My rendition will be scaled back to keep it light as i'm not going to be running Baja with it.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2