Thread: fl350 Resto Mod

1. Collapse Details
    fl350 Resto Mod
    Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've grown up riding banshees on the oregon coast, but i've finally found myself in the right spot to build something a little different. I rebuilt a 250 for a school project a few years ago and that really got me into the ody world. The 250 really didn't impress me though, so I sold it.

Craigslist is great at providing wonderful things at less than ideal distances away from you.
    A 14 hour drive later I had this:

A complete fl350 minus the fenders and motor.
    I tore it down and decided how I was going to tackle the front suspension fab.
    The new front suspension was going to be off of a banshee because I could reference to a frame that we had for locating points I would need.

So I tore the ody down and cleaned up the frame:

Using an angle grinder, a level and tape measure, a 3/4" socket plum-bob, and a bevel-set I came up with this:

*Fab work is not complete more tube and gussets will be made*
    The geometry is fairly close to original which gives me about 8-9 inches of travel. Hub to Hub is 50". Factory rear suspension which I will be keeping with a rear banshee hub is 46".
    I will need to make some quick tie rods and modify ody steering shaft and that will tell me how bad the bumpsteer will be. I may build my own slider rack to eliminate it.
    Ody factory brake lines will work so I might as well use them.
    Front tires are 22x10 and rears are 24x10 8 Paddles. With the added height in the front and the bigger tire in the rear I should be sitting 4" taller at ride height than factory. Not ideal, but the steering setup forced me to build it this way.

You may be asking what is the power plant?
    Here it is:

Craigslist strikes again with a 1991 Yamaha Exciter 2. 570cc @ 90ish hp should scoot the ody well. I picked it up from the original owner and it was his wifes sled @ 2700 miles.
    Its a water cooled and electric start engine. What are some good radiator options? Streetbike?
    Since I will be using the factory ody trans, I am not sure what my clutch options are. I will have to compare secondary input shaft sizes and go from there.

Rod ends for rebuilding the rear suspension, weld in bungs, U-joints for the drive axles, and more, are ordered.
    I will be selling the stock ody wheels/tires, complete front suspension, carb, fuel tank/pump etc along with most of the untouched sled parts. Is it worth posting on Ebay?

I should take the sled out for quick rip before I tear its guts out...
    -Wind Turbine Technician-
    -Broke College Student-
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    Damn you got a Nice Rack Richard!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: fl350 Resto Mod
    Cool project!

I wish my pics weren't lost in the Photobucket scandal or I could show the buggy I built based off of an '81 frame.

I am using an older 440 Exciter motor.

I do have a crappy cell video my wife took...have to tilt your head half way through. Horrible videographer!
    https://www.facebook.com/mike.mascar...9129829837512/

3. Collapse Details
    Here is a link to the Photobucket account if you'd like to see pics. To move all these I have to manually download each one...lots of time.

http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/ma...ODDY%20project

4. Collapse Details
    Nice, Banshee! Looks like the Banshee and the Blaster share suspension arms because I have a set of Blaster arms that look exactly like those. I have the uprights/hubs/brakes with them and was going to use them on a scratch build buggy for my two girls, but I have been thinking of using on my FL350. I would rather have larger axles/bearings, but others are using the same size (6202 and 6004 bearing size which I think the Banshee also uses?) so we'll see how long they last. Will be watching your build...
    Mini buggy construction

FL350 rustbucket Rotax 503 conversion

Custom buggy on hold.

5. Collapse Details
    I know that Polaris quad drive clutches fit the Yamaha tapered crank.

I have one from a Scrambler 400 and trail boss 250. I eliminated the oil injection that was driven from the Yamaha system and just mix.

Lots of clutches and parts if you go Polaris.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Nice, Banshee! Looks like the Banshee and the Blaster share suspension arms because I have a set of Blaster arms that look exactly like those. I have the uprights/hubs/brakes with them and was going to use them on a scratch build buggy for my two girls, but I have been thinking of using on my FL350. I would rather have larger axles/bearings, but others are using the same size (6202 and 6004 bearing size which I think the Banshee also uses?) so we'll see how long they last. Will be watching your build...
    Thanks! I actually have a full set of mechanical drum blaster front suspension as well that I was going to swap onto the 250 ody. I think they would work for something smaller like you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by MASCMAN View Post
    I know that Polaris quad drive clutches fit the Yamaha tapered crank.

I have one from a Scrambler 400 and trail boss 250. I eliminated the oil injection that was driven from the Yamaha system and just mix.

Lots of clutches and parts if you go Polaris.
    Thanks for that information MASCMAN. The oil injection and TORS system will be eliminated.

Great looking buggy you made too.

I haven't had any time to work on this pile, maybe next week.
    -Wind Turbine Technician-
    -Broke College Student-
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    Damn you got a Nice Rack Richard!