Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Yerf ninja build
    hey, thanks guys. regarding the brake pedal, I think you nailed it Darwin. Apparently I didnt measure well cause I have about a 3:1 ratio. The Ninja rear pedal is 6:1. I'll have to drill some new holes and relocate my master cylinder.

Regarding the chain tensioners, that's the design I was trying to build but I just couldnt get it aligned properly. I welded tabs to the control arms and drilled some holes in 3/16 plate for the Chinese tension wheels but I guess I need some specialty bolts to get it mounted properly. I'll keep at it. Good to know this might work. thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I built this rear fender today. I wrapped the treadplate around a propane cylinder to get the curve. I welded pieces of 1in tube about 2 in long to the frame to insert 3/4in alum tube to hold the fender. I wobbled a bit cause the inside of the steel is about .8, so I cut a split down the sides of the steel and drilled a 1/4 in hole for a bolt. The bolt goes through the alum tube of course but also pinches the steel on it because of the slits.

I just heated the aluminum to put that bend it. Got impatient and crimped it a little. Seems to be sturdy but not sure how it will hold up to severe bumps. I'll have to find thicker aluminum tube if it's too weak. Kinda looks like the Mars rover or something.

Will muck with chain tensioners more this week probably.

3. Collapse Details
    I built the right rear fender today. Looks pretty much like the left one so no need for a picture. I'll work on the fronts soon.

Also I built a single sided chain tensioner for the main chain off the engine. I just moved the one from the rear (small sprocket end) to the front (big sprocket) where it should have been. It is now spring loaded with what looks like a trampoline spring I found at Lowes.

I got a new drive sprocket with 15 teeth to upgrade from the 12T currently on there. That's 25% more teeth, so bumps my total gear ratio up to 68% of Ninja gearing. Currently its 54%. So, better brake pedal ratio, gearing, and chain tensioner - I'm ready for the 3rd test drive....

4. Collapse Details
    Went for 3rd test drive today - delay due to holidays, etc. The new 15T sprocket is much better but frankly it could use some more gear after first. It's probably ok for now cause I dont really want to go any faster at minimum speed idling in first. The chains had no problems with my fixed position tensioners and my new spring loaded main tensioner. I had some problems with clutch slip but it seems to have adjusted out after loosening it 3 times.

The bad: lots o body lean doing about 30 on my neighborhood paved roads. Think I'll try the sway bar on the next setting. May have to add a front sway bar to control the roll, which I dont want to do.

The brakes are working much better with the new pedal ratio, but I still couldnt lock em up on pavement. At least not without standing on the pedals, which I didnt try. It stops ok but not great. It may lockup on dirt though. I noticed the front A-arms really flex during hard braking. I can see the spindles twist relative to vertical. Probably the rubber A-arm bushings flexing more than the A-arms. I may need to go to aluminum bushings, or drill them out and use larger pin bolts. I hope it's not the A-arms cause I dont know how to fix that without starting over and building beefier ones.

I'll try to make some adjustments this week and go for test drive #4.

5. Collapse Details
    Holidays, sick mom, and such. Didn't get much accomplished over the break. I did go for test drive #4 though. Body lean doesn't seem to be a problem with the swaybar on a more stiff setting. It actually drove really nice! Looking forward to getting it out someplace I can test the limits a bit now.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Good to hear test run 4 was informative.

Is the brake pedal really stiff and not have much travel or softer with more travel? You can change the lever ratio again to get a better feeling and performance.

How much of a change did you make on the sway bar? Move the links inward on the arms?

Two things have very curios in my Mini-Raptor build: spring rates and sway bar. No clue where to start yet.

It was interesting when I messed with the sway bar on my XP900 - too stiff and the back end got skittish, looser made it roll more but stick better.

7. Collapse Details
    Pedal feel is ok, not really spongy or stiff. I might try lengthening the pedals and putting a bend in them. They're a little bit too vertical anyway. Due to the design of my pedal box it would be difficult to change the ratio any other way. I only had 2 settings built in.

I moved the sway bar out 1 setting, about 3 inches maybe. The feels pretty good but I have maybe 15 minutes of ride time so far. I'm using an XP800 or 900 rear sway bar btw. I have plenty of adjustment room with 4 holes drilled in about a 9in bar welded on top of each swingarm. Also I can use diff holes on each side for half-steps. I think you're better off with a heavy sway bar cause you can always move the links inward to reduce the spring rate, but you can only have so much travel if your bar is light.

For springs/shocks i used load levellers all around. They're coilover shocks to add load bearing capacity to small trucks. I think I mentioned earlier that the damping is too high. If I put weight on the front end for example and step off it take a couple seconds to rise back. I'm hoping the damping will reduce as they wear but they'll never be tuned for my kart weight since they're made for like 800lbs or so. My springs are 60# per inch, I believe which is probably ok. But if I run across some 80# springs for cheap I'll try them on the rear.

I'm looking forward to some decent weather. Need to find a place to shake this thing out and see what breaks.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25