Page 145 of 164 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1639
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    It's a whole kit, makes the argon flow laminar, and allows better gas coverage. You can run a bigger cup with less gas, and get much better coverage

The diffuser inside is what makes it flow well, it's just a piece of mesh.

2. Collapse Details
    Dude you are so close to nailing it. I know your machine just run at around 12 lt pm with 6 cup and dont use the reg flow meter they are shit, get a cheap ass torch guage and check with that.Scotch clean the rod as any oxidisation on the filler will mess with you .
    Dont run over a crappy bit of weld on mild without cleaning first as it does not work. Practice on some scrap to get settings good. Gas lenses and all that stuff are great but you are not doing exotics so get the basics correct and you will be amazed at what you can do.I wish i was there with to have an ale or two but not to be.
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Funny you mention being here to help me get it set up - I had already wished that.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    More redone stuff, straightened stuff, bars, fab, blah, blah... I'm getting really good at redoing this thing. I have to laugh at my buddy Jay (guy who built the Coyote) - I was bitching about how redoing parts of the cage again and again was getting old and he just smiled and said "Yeah, welcome to the fabrication world." He redid the first Coyote's roof line three times to get it right.

Got the rear shock mounts done, minus the doubling plates. I'll freely admit that I ground off the shit welds, made everything nice and pretty and then I'll get the doubling plates cut - they're gonna cover up the areas I ground down anyhow so it needed to be smooth (that's my story and I'm sticking with it):

Also got the rear of the cage tied into the bottom of the chassis:

Tended to the drive train - made mounts for the center bearing carrier:

The front shaft ended up being 3" short so I had to modify it. I took the daaboots route and made my own using the OEM u-joints.

I was kinda (un)surprised at the good ol' "Made in America" quality of Polaris. They may make a decent machine (we love our XP) but their quality is something to be not overly impressed with. The clocking of the u-joints was off by about 5 degrees. And people wonder why the drive shaft on the XP likes to vibrate itself to death?

First step was to cut the ends off - machined them from the ends of the tubing. Turns out the tubing is 1.25x.065 - and I have a bunch of it in chromoly.

It turned out really well:

Test fit - works perfectly:

A little rattle can work and it looks like OEM (with the u-joints clocked perfectly, ahem, Polaris):

As I've built this thing the cage has kicked my ass. Trying to make a bunch of toooobing fit inside a flexy shell's proven to be a bitch. I have a bunch of used tubing sitting in the trash bin presently.

I put the body on again and started looking at placement of things inside, like the seat, steering wheel and pedals. I've had the body set up so that it sat on a some locating posts. It was time to go ahead and get it mounted (temporarily) to the chassis in the correct, permanent place. I made sure everything was level and straight in relation to the bottom of the chassis (I know it's flat/straight/right)

There were a couple of things that didn't look right; there was a big gap above the right rear shock mount and none on the left (sorry, no pics) and the front upper windshield cross bar was too low - you can see it here (older pic). You can see light between the bar and the lower lip of the roof line - from a front view this was about an inch+ of light.

From the front view (thought I had one) it sat about 1.5" low into the windshield opening. Not good, not pretty, no bueno. It also lowered the roof bars a bit more than I liked - too close to my noggin.

So, off with all the bodywork again, out with the cut off wheel and out go the front upper bars and braces. Fortunately (for once...) I was able to salvage the bar and mod it to fit like it should have in the first place and mod the roof bars (shorten). Unfortunately I don't have a tube stretcher so I had to redo the front down bars. I ended up with more brain container (mine's about half empty anymore) clearance, better vision and a more aesthetically pleasing look:

Back on with the bodywork and then it was time to tend to the rear cross bar. Turns out it was off by about 1/4" on each side between the shock mounts, which made it low on one side pretty badly. More cut off wheel work, more grinding (saved this tube too!) and then back in place nice and level. Not sure how I screwed this pooch as badly as I did but it's all good now.

The last main chassis thing I needed to do was the mid bars from the top of the rear bulkhead to the mid line of the chassis. A quick sighting looked like I was going to have shock clearance issues on the left side and shock and engine clearance issues on the right side. I was also worried that the clutch on the trans may be interfered with on the left side.

Turns out my worries weren't legit other than it being a bit close for my liking to the shocks. A quick 5 degree bend and tada! Clearance!

They fit in place like they were meant to be there! (guess they are, eh?)

Right trailing arm is finally underway too - Mr. Space-X said he hopes to get it done in the next week or so. I get that and I'll have a rolling chassis.

Time to start working on the cabin layout.

5. Collapse Details
    Lookin good!

I like the side view of it on the bench with no suspension.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Looks except the driveshaft is out of phase by 90 degrees

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 707offroad View Post
    Looks except the driveshaft is out of phase by 90 degrees
    That may have been done on purpose from the factory. It has an angle from the rear output shaft that is off center to the center of the chassis. There is nothing to complement this. There is also an angle up to the diff from the carrier bearing that is not complemented. The 90* offset may be used to cancel out the 2 uncomplimentary angles.

And super bitchen update!

Mid bars came out with less bend than I thought they would need to clear the shocks. The back is really starting to look like the old Vessels IRS Nissan TT.

Last edited by bdkw1; 05-30-2018 at 08:43 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Super bitchen...are you a valley girl?

did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Super bitchen...are you a valley girl?
    No, but I have dated a few.........

10. Collapse Details
    LOL! I figured!

"Is this movie in 3d?...No, but your face is!"

Page 145 of 164 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 ... LastLast