MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A potential project

I have been wanting an Odyssey for years and am finally in a place where I can afford and store one I was so exited when I found this beast, and so disappointed when I saw it.

To make it short...

Found a frankenbeast of an FL250. Want to shorten it for maneuverability. Has quad rearend, CB750 engine and trans. Is something like this worth my time for a good price? What can I do to make it a better ride? Should it be fitted with a different transmission?

Example of what I would like a finished project to be similar to:

My intended riding area is BLM roads/gravel pits and jeep trails.

My concerns with this beast (aside from the weeds growing out of the seat) is that it is now several feet longer then a normal FL250 and not going to turn very sharp. And with the transmission it has there will be much less acceleration than what I would want from that powerhouse, and a huge range of speed that will be unsafe in that light a vehicle (it could probably go 120mph I think in top gear)

My question is how hard would that be to do? Can I raise the engine up a little higher in order to move the point that the swing arm attaches closer to the back of the seat to take some length off the thing? I have a welder and know how to weld, but I have no fabrication experience other then cutting angles on tubesteel and attaching them.

Thanks!
Lichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A potential project

Welcome to the site.

If you tried to raise the engine to move the rear suspension forward how would the chain stay tight?

You "might" be able to shorten a little from the center by cutting the area out behind the seat and moving it forward but its a lot of work for a very little gain. The angles of the tubes will make next to nothing line up right.

So whats a "Good price" for it? honestly it may be a OK dragger on a flatter track. But will easily get beaten by a more dedicated machine with a newer engine. Unless its under $400.00 I would say its likely not worth it.

I will also say that the front end will need to be seen and shown better. If it does not have good camber and caster and the proper bump steer characteristics the thing will handle like a turd no matter what. There are several more things in the front that need to be seen as well.

If the front was not done right it may not be worth $400.00 even.

Needs pics of the front end from dead on forwards and from directly above to see if its even close to being right. If the guy is cool he would let you remove the front shocks and cycle the suspension to see the bumpsteer it may or may not have.

If the fronts wrong and its to long anyways just keep-a-searching.

Last edited by nutz4sand; 11-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: spullin
nutz4sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the wolcome!

Could the chain be shortened by taking links out?

They guy said he would let me have it for $400. But no lower. As I understand it, it currently drives the way it is. But needs some work to get running. Mechanically it should be complete.

The front end looks to be the stock that came with the FL250 frame. How hard/expensive is it to redo a front end?

I would just get a snowmobile engine and build something, but that would cost more and nothing on it would be quite right.

Another option on my area is a one seat VW buggy for twice the price.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

more pics, and we could give a more better answer. lol

And welcome aboard.
CARLRIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm interested to see if u get a decent buggy with swingarm and not mounting the engine on the swingarm, so I'm gonna subscribe!
Having the same "problem"...making a buggy compact(so it will handle good) with the swingarm and fixed motor solution.
Håvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
more pics, and we could give a more better answer. lol

And welcome aboard.
I sadly forgot my camera when I went to look at it. I will see if I can bother the gentleman selling it this weekend to get some photos in the daylight.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

That front end suspension looks like it was borrowed off a quad. But if the mounting locations are not correct and the steering mechanism is not right it will steer horrible to dangerously.

The stock front end on a Odessey 250 is a little mini trailing arm with like maybe 3 inches of travel.

That may be an FL350 frame??? but it too has a trailing arm front and not A-arms. Those A-arms are added like the rear to be better. But done wrong they are not better but can be dangerous at any speed over 15mph.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichen View Post
Thanks for the wolcome!.
Your very welcome!

Quote:
Could the chain be shortened by taking links out?.
Yes.... BUT while that WILL shorten the chain the chain HAS to remain tight on the sprockets as the swingarm goes up and down.

The sprocket location IS VERY IMPORTANT to proper chain tension on a swingarm! If you simply moved the rear swingarm forward the chain would NOT be able to remain tight on the sprockets. You COULD shorten the swingarm from the back end and make the chain stay but would loose any travel that setup has not to mention more redoing of the rear suspension. Cycle a bike suspension with the shock off and watch the chain loosen as it drops and tighten as it raises. This has to be dealt with on a swingarm type carefully.

Quote:
They guy said he would let me have it for $400. But no lower. As I understand it, it currently drives the way it is. But needs some work to get running. Mechanically it should be complete.
Still it may need more than you realize. See below

[quote=Lichen;250196]The front end looks to be the stock that came with the FL250 frame. How hard/expensive is it to redo a front end? [quote=Lichen;250196] redoing a front end can be easy to tricky and without knowing JUST what this one needs and your skills to be able to redo it nailing down a cost or a time frame or skills needed is near impossible.

Quote:
I would just get a snowmobile engine and build something, but that would cost more and nothing on it would be quite right.
While I agree it would cost more with good plans it could be quite right from the get go where that one above may not be quite right at all perhaps?

Quote:
Another option on my area is a one seat VW buggy for twice the price.
See this below---> twice the price MAY be a deal and a steal if it is able to be gotton in and driven today with no work other than gas and oil checks.

You will have twice the loot in that buggy above I bet before you can even ride it.

Add to that the VW unit will have REVERSE (unless its torn out. VW reverses are not super tough and should be used gently as you can) But reverse is AWESOME if you are a hill climber or in the woods crowd almost needed.

Only in pure sand can most live without reverse and its reallllllly nice there too.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to the site.
You have a big can of worms there!
I dont understand what you are wanting to do with it?
It doesnt look to safe and quad drive trains were made for quads not for kars.
$200.00 or walk and dont change anything you will be wasting your time and money.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Depends on what your looking for. I usually wouldn't pick up someones failed dream like this unless it was super cheap. You just never know what this guys skills were. If this is your first go with an Odyssey I would consider buying a stock one and upgrade as you learn more about it. They're fun machines. You should be able to get into a good running stock or tastefully modified fl250 for under $1000. Or If you can buy the single seat vw rail for $800 I'd do that for sure.
Fatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links