MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Driveshaft mini buggy? Shadow powered.

Nope chiken is running a Honda blackbird 1000 the other orange buggy is an R1 not his car. Not sure what the drive shaft is. If he doesnt chime in (which he will) i can find out, a shop up the road runs them also less than 2 miles from my house i can find out prob fri let you know.
chrisMX-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

I also have a number of a shop local that builds driveshafts and alot of chasis for the legand cars he is not very far from me either.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Ok well its a drive shaft with Toyota pick up yokes... and built to size... Mine was 225.00$ because.... I have a 7 inch slip yoke and the diameter is larger that stock dwarf cars... due to my abuse track record (Not pulling in the clutch when I spun off the track at 65 mph>>> Snapped about 350.00 worth of rear end and suspension parts OOPS!)

Dwarf car and legend car drive shaft adapters use a Toyota pick up yoke...
Now when you order one (Make sure you get the total length of the full up and down measurements>See if you need a slip yoke built in to it)

DON'Tskimp on small yokes due to price... I paid 225.00 total for larger yokes on my drive shaft including the slip (You can get Toyota corolla yokes BUT there smaller that the Toyota pick up yokes.... Corolla ones are like a McDonalds Hamburger... Toyota ones are like Big Mac... See that point I'm making)

Here is the best thing to do in any state with local drive shaft shops.
Google you city on GOOGLE MAPS..
Search nearby "Drive shaft" OR look up race car shops in your area..

Ask either one>>> Who builds your drive shafts or what shop do you recommend.

In phoenix you will get 2 answers (But that's in phoenix>> Your area will have at least 1 guy who does it for every race track or the preferred GO TO Guy)

Thats what i would do.....

And in fact if you need any help with questions.... Just let me know.... I got the next 3 days off..

Gazinga!

Last edited by Chikin; 02-15-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

I see your point chiken, now im hungry and want a big mac lol. My driveshaft should be easier due to being IRS and drive train will not move. only thingi will have to watch for is the movement if any from tork of accelerating or stoping etc. if any at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks for your insight guys! Greatly appreciated.

Is there a difference from the Toyota Pickup Ujoints as compared to 1310s?

I have a driveshaft guy about a mile away from my shop who does all the rock crawler shafts and my Prerunner shafts. Quality work quick and great pricing. Im most likely going to be running a 2 piece DS, with a carrier bearing. It looks like we might be going with the R1 engine if we can make sure the lead to the engine thats for sale is legit and not seized or something.

My friend pulled apart the Sammy third member last week and dang, That thing is Light! The 3rd member is where all the weight is, the housing is maybe 25 lbs. I will most likely need to truss it with the upper link mount.

Hey Chikin, what material and thickness did you use for your lower trailing links?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P02-03-12_14.28.jpg (31.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Hey remember this... Even though it may not happen to you..

Make safety hoops around the drive shaft. My drive line come out of the engine and runs down the right side of my car....... Here is my issue with my set up>>>> IF (And I say is with a quotation)
The front u-joint blows or the car spins backwards and I roll backwards with the car in drive..OR I am full throttle hauling the mail... That drive line will wipe my ankle into 1000 pieces. So I am adding 2 extra mounts to catch the drive line and limit it "IF" It come apart.

NOT to scare any one... But a chain drive is one thing.... A long shaft flopping around near my toesies!!! Just a FYI and 2 extra hours of Fab work. INSURANCE I call it.

Just add that to your list of things to build Chris on your project

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post

Hey Chikin, what material and thickness did you use for your lower trailing links?

Do you mean the rear 4 link mounts to the car.... and or the axle side... I can post pics if you need them

Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

Yes, my design will adequate for a broken driveshaft, just in case. Ive seen driveshafts break on desert trucks and have seen the damage they can do.

Yes chikin, the 4link arms. What size tubing do most dwarfs run with the moto engines?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #29 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
Yes, my design will adequate for a broken driveshaft, just in case. Ive seen driveshafts break on desert trucks and have seen the damage they can do.

Yes chikin, the 4link arms. What size tubing do most dwarfs run with the moto engines?
I'm using the mounts for the 4 link from a mini truck set up.
Trimmed to fit square tubing. Plus since room is tight... the seat is just barely cleat from it
I used a mini truck 4 link since race suspension is light as possible and bends easily. I want a indestructible (Or close to it) Car

=

The tubing on the whole buggy is 1 1/4 095 wall all the way around.... The square box tubing is for the horizontal frame (I.E the floor and the a pillar)
Make the floor and pillars.... then build around that.(On dwarf cars in general)

Any thing I can answer... or post pics... Just let me know...

Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

I used 1.25" X.125 thick D.O.M. then slid that inside the 1.5"x.095 D.O.M. I wanted them strong in case I mounted my shocks to them or bump stops, 3/4" heims also the top is the same but its a "A" shaped and the top of the axle mount heim is laying horizontal .
Brian
rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links