Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dwarf Car into a mini rail
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    So here are some photos of my progress on converting my dwarf car into some thing usable for off road and sand play. So here is the front suspension travel. This car has a honda blackbird 1100 fuel injected motor and was fast at the track... I really cant wait to have it all done...
    I do have 10 inch Fox shocks for the front and rear still waiting to be mounted... Its just a matter of money... But also have to paint the frame ... I never knew sanding down powder coating was soooo hard to remove!
    I wish there was a guilde line to go by... But I have been reading this site on rake and suspension questions and answers... and well this is what I have been doing for 14 months... A little at a time due to money....
    ***Note*** This is not totally adjusted to exactly perfect..yet . and I do see in photos I am going to have to adjust the camber on the spindals a little.

This is what I started with.....

And this is what i have turned it into...

Here is the up position

And the wide view of the front. Yeah the front is wider than the rear...

Front left spindle I had to remake the spindals so the hub shaft was farther down to give more ground clearance

Front right

And this is why I made the distance between the control arms at the distance ... With the car all the way up the upper a-arms come close to exhaust... Plus the angle of the control arms is set for 10 degrees of rake.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Dwarf Car into a mini rail
    I hate you! I've been wanting to do thieving for year. Let me know how it works

3. Collapse Details
    Kool, who are the bigger shops in your area that deal with the dwarf car market?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MC@ Performance Fab View Post
    Kool, who are the bigger shops in your area that deal with the dwarf car market?

Well in phoenix there is Dwarf car company.
    dwarfcar.com

And Peter D racing Peter D Motorsports - Phoenix, Arizona based welter weight and Dwarf Car company.

But not one of the shops here have seen one done for the sand...

Oh and
    round2...... Yeah well its lots of fab work and more than I expected... and my wife hates it... soon when its done she will ----- well she will still hate it regaurdless...
    Got to love the SINGLE SEATER!!!

I will keep posting pics of progress and I will make video of testing soon.... Here is a video from last month... general over veiw
    YouTube - Modified dwarf car for sand dunes.... Under overhaul

5. Collapse Details
    Good to see progress.

With king pin inlination as is it looks to have at least -5" scrub. It will severely plow.

Why not put in kpi now with all the work?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Good to see progress.

With king pin inlination as is it looks to have at least -5" scrub. It will severely plow.

Why not put in kpi now with all the work?
    I can still adjust the king pin Incl... the upper and lower mounts are not set permanently and I can adjust them...
    With king pin inclination where it is now... what do you suggest it should be... and what is good turning radius be.. I.E with the tires being strait...compaired to turning...
    Im debating on a different steering rake based on others answers...
    Last edited by Chikin; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    If you need more steering angle you can move the Birmingham on the spindle inwards instead of changing the rack

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry hiem not Birmingham. Damn Droid phone

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by round2 View Post
    If you need more steering angle you can move the Birmingham on the spindle inwards instead of changing the rack
    Yeah I think I need to make new steering arms inward.... the steering rack is forward a little too much...but from where it is there is no way of moving it back with out major refabing the radiator and motor mounts.... I think I'm going to make bent steering arms off the rack... so it is closer to the control arm and a shorter heim

Well when I started on this car I didn't realize just how much stuff I was going to need to change... It made left hand turns steering right....(Oval track drifting) well after cutting it all up and the hours of fab to make it turn left and right equal... well that wasn't real easy... Most of the shops here say yeah it would be a great idea, Not one is thrilled when they see me... (Since I'm not a die hard track fan and don't come in every week needing mass parts..They do how ever say hope it works out for you)

The 4 link was off of a mini truck from craigs list...and was cut and modified to fit this car..
    The rims on the front are mounted backwards..I.E so the off set clears the brakes.. so there is a 1.5 inch wheel adapter.. and a 1/2 inch shim (this makes it clear the brake by 1/4 inch)
    The rear has 2 inch wheel adapters and 1/2 inch shims so the rear brakes clear the calipers. And I went with a 10/7 rim... Just to make the original brakes work.. because of the lack of 12 inch paddle tires on the market...
    This car wasn't meant to be off road... and well there isnt a guilde line to follow either... I would say to some one else who would want to do this... Open up your pocket book... and get ready to redo every thing... Im knee deep into it now... and I hope to be done with in a few months...But yeah I think the steering should be moved in for more turning...

I dont plan on jumping.. But knowing my luck I will stab at some thing too much and it WILL happen...
    and I dont plan on hard core duning... But I know I will get my self into some thing I shouldnt and well lets hope the gas pedal gets me out of it... like the bumper stickers says.... When in doubt.. GAS IT!
    Last edited by Chikin; 02-27-2011 at 12:50 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    A few comments made on a pic of the front end.

Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast