MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1000cc Single Seat Autocross Car

I've started construction of an Autocross car or what I think some people would call a Rally Kart.
It will be used on circuits that are relatively flat, with the odd very low flat jump, It will also possibly see a just a little action on some asphalt sections. The sort of terrain and tracks where where rally cars would be used.
So in this particular design, cornering ability is more important than long travel suspension and high ground clearance. So it is a little different to the vast majority of projects on this site, but many of the core design principals and components are the same as the longer travel mini buggies in here.

Instead of uploading all the files here I've linked to a few image galleries I've already uploaded. So just click on the text links below to see more photos. As the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words"

BTW, I've included several closeups of some components because I often see questions from newcomers about some common components and how they work.

013.jpg

click for Component images

DSC_3172.jpg

click for Frame construction images

Last edited by intfit; 05-14-2011 at 01:48 PM..
intfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Default Re: 1000cc Single Seat Autocross Car

Nice notching, clean fits and the frame looks great so far. Keep the updates coming and thanks for sharing your build.
With a 1,000cc engine and small size car from what I see so far.. wow it will scoot. Nice.

Autocross.. I have seen that a couple times now on some of the rally car websites.. be interesting to see you race. Please keep us posted on the build with updated pics and info I am curious to see it.

Thanks and again keep up with the great work.

TutTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TutTech View Post
Please keep us posted on the build with updated pics and info I am curious to see it.
Thanks Tut! I will do.

BTW In the initial post I forgot to thank you, and many (too many to mention) of the other experienced guys on this site for your valuable advice and input so far!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Oh no worries. I think a lot of people have fogotten that is what forums are for. Helping.
That is why I am here to help and more important to learn. I want to learn more about the mini buggies. I have a good understanding of normal buggies and more then enough on VW buggies. But I wanted to learn about Mini buggies. So that is why I joined a forum. Not just any forum, but Minibuggy.net as I searched the net and it had the best members and greatest responce with the most accurate information for what I needed.
Couldn't ask for more.

So anyways that is what forums are for and should be all about. Helping. For me by helping people others then help me. It's a win win and we all get hopefully nice buggies out of the deal and have tons of fun.

Sorry back on topic, you know I haven't seen any actualy photos of info on Rally Cross?
Im going to do some searching. If you have some info, pics or a website you can share with us that would be outstanding so we can learn more about your project.
For example will it have a buggy body or you going more of a kit body or fiberglass body?

Some more info on the Rally Cross would be great to learn as well.
Your welcome and thank you.

TutTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks good, your buggy looks like a kart cross.

Can you tell me what you are using for a outboard bearing assm.?
thanks
nutnbolt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice! Too much fun... May I ask exactly what your micro stub and wheel bearing combination is? I will either go that route or kit bash together some older BMW stuff I have.

single seat, under 700lb
2007 ZX6R engine
coilover suspension
custom frame
custom suspension

...when I get to it.
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vendor

Nice work like Tut said clean notches. I'm looking forward to the first ride video, 1000cc is gonna rock
dirtreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys,
The Micro Stubs are from Moores parts, the link below contains a bit more detail on them. Not 100% sure but I think the hub is from a Chevy S10??

Micro stub recomendations anyone?

Last edited by intfit; 05-14-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chevy and a few others used the microstub hub on several models. The S10 does have them up front as does most of the IFS 4wd trucks and FWD cars use them too. The difference tends to be axle diameter and spline count.
KrunchWorkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone know WHO's 930 CV microstub goes with WHICH CAR'S wheel bearing assembly? My impression is that all these vendors selling microstubs and wheel bearings don't want to tell anyone (their prices for the bearings are high.) I'm wondering if anyone who runs any of these microstubs compared them dimensionally to the shafts out of any of the possible vehicles they would fit in (S10, F150, etc...) I would like to go this route, but it's expensive to buy stubs AND bearings from these vendors. (Yes, I'm cheap , but my buggy will ROCK! ROCK it tell you!)

single seat, under 700lb
2007 ZX6R engine
coilover suspension
custom frame
custom suspension

...when I get to it.
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links