MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > Buggy Build Talk > Projects in Progress

Projects in Progress Current projects/builds in progress. Make a thread for your off-road mini-buggy or sand rail and keep updating as your build continues.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jedi Rock Buggy

Well I was going to call it the Ninja Buggy but the boys are into Jedi's now so a new name. Even before I've started building.

Anyway I'm building a rock crawler buggy for my boys. 6 & 10. I still have a lot of research to do and parts to gather/buy. I still have to pay for the motor (got from a friend) but I have it. I also have the axles, springs and tcase.

It will be a 2 seater.

10hp motor
Suzuki Samurai Axles and t case

I've been working on figuring out the steering and am curious to see how the Corsa 12 v steering is working.

Also working on reverse as well. I've looked into the Comet boxes, but some people are on the fence about them and Comet has ceased production and is selling off what they have then no more. Due to my low power I'll most likely go with a Peerless tractor transmission. 4 forward gears and a reverse.

I'll be getting a comet torque convertor and put the driven wheel on the input of the peerless transmission then direct couple that to the sami tcase.

I still have gear ratios to sort as well.

I'll be buiding the chassis myself. Base is to be 2x2 square with a full DOM cage. This will be slow as I have to finish some other projects first.

I'll update this as I go.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Jedi Rock Buggy

If you look on Pirate 4x4 they have small rock crawlers powered by Honda motors, on off them is driven by a seven tear old girl.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you look on Pirate 4x4 they have small rock crawlers powered by Honda motors, on off them is driven by a seven tear old girl.

Yes I frequent there. I have pm'd him a bunch for help. I like the Honda motor idea, but I don't have one as he did and I want simple and cheap. I don't want to mess with a computer/sensors, plumb all kinds of cooling, etc. I may come to regret this decision but such is life.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think your going to need to gear down a ton for that 10hp motor to be able to turn those axles, just my $0.02. I would look into just using the whole drivetrain out of the samy, they actual work out about perfect because of the short wheelbase
LockedupXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

A Baja SAE team built a 10hp rock crawler for the 2007 competition.

Here is their website:
OpieBennett --::-- CSUS Mini Baja

The links to other forums document most of the build and parts used.

Here is a video of it in action:

It was the only buggy to complete the rock crawl course.

While that buggy is a good example of what you are looking to build, it did not do very well as a Baja SAE car since it was too slow and had very poor handling to be a race vehicle. But for 6-10 year old kids, a similar vehicle would work quite well.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibajaman View Post
A Baja SAE team built a 10hp rock crawler for the 2007 competition.

Here is their website:
OpieBennett --::-- CSUS Mini Baja

The links to other forums document most of the build and parts used.

Here is a video of it in action:

It was the only buggy to complete the rock crawl course.

While that buggy is a good example of what you are looking to build, it did not do very well as a Baja SAE car since it was too slow and had very poor handling to be a race vehicle. But for 6-10 year old kids, a similar vehicle would work quite well.
That's funny. Opie is an acquaintence of mine and I have followed his build on several boards. He is helping me with technical stuff as well.

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 12-19-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

That buggy was GREAT. They were the only ones to best ours in the rock crawl. Good thing they got their run in before the tree limb fell
rowycoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did some quick sketches.
61" wheel base
96" overall length
66" overall width
60" overall height
Still have a bunch to move around. I'm going leaves because I have them for free. Just going to use 2 full length ones. The rest will come out of the pack.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Haven't updated in a while. The frame is built. Axles were disassmbled, the gears welded, and reassmbled. Picked up a tranny from a Polaris 500. The motor I got is a Kohler 20hp running on propane. CVT should be here this week. Hope to have the axles and drivetrain mounted this weekend. I've been making brackets and such for that purpose. I'll post pics after this weekend.

Steering will be full hydro. Using a Toyota MR2 12v power steering pump and a single ended, double acting ram.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

i look forward to seeing the pics....
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links