1. Collapse Details
    Common engine question with a twist
    So i am in the process of designing my buggy loosely on the badland ST4 and am tossed up on an engine issue. The goal is to tweak it to make it street legal but also mainly offroad. Ive researched a ton and have narrowed it down to two platforms.

Prefer a yamaha nytro sled engine with complete cast side bulkheads to retain the chaincase and jackshaft for reverse, automatic and gearing changes with a protodie center in the back and around 9:1 gearing.

Second choice is a GSXR 1000 engine with an RPM gearbox in back to supply the reverse and similar gear ratio, but would have to shift of course.

I have the legalities covered and planning on running 930 cvs in back with VW hubs and breaks which necessitates 15 rims so plan on 26-28 tires.

The question is with the nytro setup and gear reduction will i still have enough top end to street drive it without running at redline all the time? Or would the GSXR engine with trans be better suited but have to deal with shifting while offroading?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Common engine question with a twist
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    How much, how fast and how long/far will your road going time be?

We run around in our XP4-1k all the time. It sees highway speeds (75) very rarely but does see 50-60 for 10 miles at a shot fairly often. It doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I’m also going to be running a Nytro powered vehicle with an XP1K drive train and am guessing somewhere in the 90+ mph top end. It’ll be street legal too. It, like the RZR, won’t see lots of freeway stuff but it will see 60 on the roads often and I’m not worried about it at all.

Think about this: the Nytro sled will run 100, right? And do it all day, right? You’ll be fine with a CVT setup.
    I don’t like shifting either...

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Common engine question with a twist
    Just the guy i wanted to hear from!!! Ive read a lot of your threads and know you were planning a nytro build.

Mostly farmland around me so its ten miles just into town and everything is 55 mph, thats all i was worried about, just didnt want to be running too high of revs just to keep up with traffic. Thanks K-fab