MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Motor - Engine

Motor - Engine Off-road buggy and sand rail engine discussion.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 stroke jet ski engine in a buggy??

Anyone ever here of somebody doing it? Ive got a couple skis in the shop and putting a new engine in a GP1200R that is rated at 155HP. Im wondering if a conversion could be done or if it would be feasable. I know the ski engines probly have to have ALOT of cooling and the exhaust would have to be scrapped but if you ran a big enough radiator with fans, etc i wonder if you could keep it cool enough not to overheat. And with the way the drive is setup you could connect a driveshaft to it to run into a gearbox pretty easy.

www.MonkeyWrenchMotorcycles.com
Www.Facebook.com/monkeywrenchcycles
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2 stroke jet ski engine in a buggy??

I think the older Sea Doos you could just swap the PTO end of the crank out to convert to the sled engine one. 583 sled engines are pretty cheap today though so it would be easier to just buy that engine.

The biggest issue I see with trying to run one into a manual gear box is the clutch. The end of the crank is not designed to hold one. Maybe just adding an extra bearing would support it. Maybe a Subie box would work.

I prefer CVT. Since already a good idea to support the clutches with bearings on the outside in a buggy, I would do that on the inside as well. Make a stub shaft that fits the taper on the sled clutch with splines or a plate on the other side. Put a coupler that allows some mis alignment from the engine to the clutch and the clutch supports can be mounted solid to the frame. The clutches would stay aligned making the belt happy. I think Redline sleds were like that where the clutch did not move, but the engine could.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Inline is probably the best way. If you can get it to mount up to a tranny. If its a 4 stroke the exhaust wouldn't be much a issue. But keeping it cool, seems like someone pointed out smaller cooling ports or something because of using a constant flow of much cooler water.
CARLRIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

This has been discussed on here at least once. I can't find the thread though. What I got out of it was too much of a pain to mess with. Seems like maybe Nutz4sand had lots to say about it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not me.. I think...

I always thought it would be cool to put the jet ski impeller in a tube then another impeller it feeds that runs power out to a tranny that spins the wheels (after a deep geardown) then recirculate the water back to the drive impeller!

Liquid cush drive!

But all in all a jet ski motor is way to much work IMO. The crank end is not the right shape nor are the jet ski engines often having bearings big enough to deal with the huge side loads that sled engines see. Jet ski engines see little side loads and are not built for them most of the time I bet.

Sell it to a jet ski head and use the loot to buy a sled engine would be my advice.

Unless you wanted a cool liquid cush drive that took a lot of work and weight to make work? lol
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

On that note I have heard and seen where people have done it but there are just easier ways to skin this cat IMO.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just a thought. I come across ALL kinds of things in my line of work so i just thought it might be cool. But yeah, your probly right about the loads on the crank. In water there isnt much to try and stop the drive all at once but in a wheel driven vehicle...

On a note about using the prop, etc to make a fluid drive, i actually saw a harley one time that used the engine to turn a hydraulic pump which pumped fluid to a custom made rear hub that propelled the bike. Pretty darn cool in my book

www.MonkeyWrenchMotorcycles.com
Www.Facebook.com/monkeywrenchcycles
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can't find the thread so maybe I made the whole thing up.

Liquid Cush drive huh? Now that would be something to see. Franky I had to check out the hydrostatic drive motorcycle. The one I found on utube is a diesel. Pretty cool.