MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::General Discussion::: > The Litter Box

The Litter Box Want to be Totally Off Topic? Debate ideas? Banter about things that don't fit anywhere else? This is the forum to use! If you're easily offended, you may not want to enter this forum.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Default GoPro record settings and upload times

So what do you use for your videos.... and what viewing angle I.e 170 wide or 127 medium What do you prefer (Since the only narrowed view is the 1080 127 wide shot)

1080 30 frames... 170/127
960 48 frames 170
960 60 frames 170
720 30 frames 170
720 60

Shoot I could go on and on. Now I do not need massive 1080 video BUT here is my issue.... Is it better Or am I over thinking this???

And does it take FOREVER to upload to you tube (Please give me an example of how long your clip is and how long it takes to upload) I do not have slow internet.... and it still seems like a long time

Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: GoPro record settings and upload times

720p 60 fps
1080p take a lot more time to upload than 720p and it depend on how long is your video.
nicolasdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I have the original GoPro HD so I can't change the viewing angles. I would probably choose less wide angle if I could. I mostly use the 720p 60 fps setting for buggy stuff. I also use the 960p setting sometimes because it is not widescreen and gives you more vertical field of view. I used 1080p once but the slight increase in quality is not worth the large increase in file size and upload times.
minibajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I will champion 1080p! For web use or under 50 inch TVs, 720p is all I need. I record in 1080 for a couple reasons, to future proof it, and frame grabs.

Pretty soon, HUGE screen TVs are going to be common, and they are already talking about 4k resolution, so I want to have all I can.

I've always done frame grabs of video, and been amazed at how crappy 480i grabs looked, and wished for more resolution. Having for resolution available and not using it wasn't really an option for me.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

720 by 30 by wide angle or 170 to catch cars passing or sides of me best I can to record up coming turns etc. ..

I did that 1st test run at 70 mph in the 720 setting wide.... (r2) and even on my almost dial up connection it loaded up to you tube in like 2 minutes.. and the video was almost 2 minutes long.
So no problems there.
so the 720 loads fast and I will get to record much longer times of my racing. Instead of only a couple hours I should get nearly 4 hours I believe is what you can get on the 720. But you can't do slow motion editing or HD. Oh and your battery will die before your memory card may be full.. depending on which card your using...
So up to you.. At least on 720x60 or 960 you can still do Slow motion if you want and HD.. but not as high of course as the 1080..

I haven't had a lot of time with it yet.. but I will post any changes or updates.

As I view only on my computer the 720 is plenty and I don't load to You tube in High def. So that is what I am currently using.. I think it should be plenty.. and I like the wide for catching all the action I can.

Last edited by TutTech; 02-26-2012 at 02:56 PM..
TutTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Administrator

I've been running mine in mode "r3" - what ever that is... 720p

When I did some testing with it set on 1080, I got the "jello wave" during slower or stopped sections.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
I've been running mine in mode "r3" - what ever that is... 720p

When I did some testing with it set on 1080, I got the "jello wave" during slower or stopped sections.
I've seen that wave in some of my stuff, and chalked it up to a small vibration in the car's frame or camera's mount. It's interesting that changing setting would affect it. It could be with the wider field of view, it's not as noticeable, or perhaps the 60 frames a second of mode r3 captures fast enough to account for it.