Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1/2 Scale Crawler in the UK
    Hi to everyone. I recently joined the Facebook group and I'm going to start a build thread of the buggy I've been making for my kids, so it begins...

Chris.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 1/2 Scale Crawler in the UK
    So most of these old photos have been pulled off of my Pinterest, but there is no better place to start from than the beginning. Soooo, that's where I'll begin. It'll be slow progress uploading as I'm gonna put descriptions with the photos. But it won't be as slow as actually building the thing!

Here's where it all started. The side cross for the cage. I have no idea why I started with that, seems so random now, prob because I was testing my notching and tig welding skills???. Anyways that's how it started. I'm using 1.25" aluminium (aluminum to you yanks lol) wall thickness is about 1.2mm so it's lightweight.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN!

Interesting!

I like the idea of alumin(i)um for a small car's cage.

Full four wheel drive I see - how about steering? Top (sideways) picture looks like it may have it?

What are the dimensions?

I'm sure you'll share power plant and such as you post pix.

Cool ride!

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks K-fab,
    Yes it's 4 wheel steer and 4 wheel drive. It will be powered by 2x 48v 800w electric motors and 4 x 60a/h car batteries. It's not a massive car so it should be powerful enough, hopefully. I'm not an electric guru so my calculations are pretty basic.

It's a work In progress but I wanted it to be my project so I'm learning as I go. Some interesting problems have arisen during the build and so I just went from one task to the next.

Progress has been slow as I have a busy schedule and it's not been a simple build. There are no plans or anything I can follow, just rough dimensions and make everything fit around the space I had available.

So the idea was to have a little truck the kids could play around with, I didn't want to put an engine in as I wanted it to be quiet as there is not much land where I live to drive this thing, so I wanted it to be low key.
    Electric seemed to be the way forward as I could mount a motor the front as well as the rear and have 4 wheel drive.

This meant I had to find a solution to steering as well as powering the front wheels, so I just did the same on the rear too, so it has 4 wheel steer as well. I tried a couple of ideas to get the steering to work and am now most of the way through completing the front and have all the parts ready to go for the rear.

Sorry if this seems long winded, but I want to get my thoughts and reasoning down before I forget everything and it may even explain why it seems I made crazy choices ha ha!!

5. Collapse Details
    So these are the next pictures in my gallery.

I trawled the wide web looking for inspiration and came across images of the Edge Barracuda and it's rear driveline. I liked the simplicity of it and it would work for my application.
    So I copied it. I scaled it it down and simplified it even more.
    I had a lathe with basic tools and a milling machine with even less tools so splines were out of the question and c.v. joints from cars were way too big so I used some universal joints from eBay. Btw, most of the stuff for my buggy came from eBay, I'm not a rock star so my budget is paltry at best.
    The sprocket was decided by the pitch of the sprocket on the motor I wanted to use so I got a 420 pitch 41 tooth pit bike sprocket. (I'll talk about why 41t later when I get to the wheels)
    The disc rotor is from a pit bike too as it had similar dimensions and the caliper available was both hydraulic and compact, and came with a master cylinder (and it was gold, and I'm a tart!)

So I drew some rough drawings and designed a disc and sprocket carrier to be mounted on a central drive line, using 30mm bearings mounted to a carrier I hadn't designed at that point. I wanted it all to be modular in case I had to swap out the sprocket for a different type so the carriers are bolted to the central cassette.

The first pic is the start of the carriers. I had no stock big enough so it is 20mm aluminium plate which I used a hole saw to bore out the centres and then I plasma cut the outsides.
    They were then mounted in the lathes and then the outside was cleaned up, then the inside bored out. Can't remember the exact dimensions.
    Next step was to turn a shoulder for the disc and sprocket to sit flush against.
    6 holes were drilled and countersunk so they could be bolted to the central cassette.
    The central cassette was turned down from 100mm aluminium bar and a shoulder for the disc carrier and drilled to suit. They were then ready to be bored out for the 30mm axle.

6. Collapse Details
    The first pic is of the keyways being broached into the central drive cassette. I used a parting tool I shaped and locked off the head stock, using the toolpost back and forth. Shaving a fraction at a time. I saw this technique used on a YouTube video and it worked perfect.
    As I mentioned earlier, I was doing 2 of everything as the front mirrored the rear. I only had one sprocket and brake rotor, as I wasn't sure if it would work out and I didn't want to waste cash.
    You might see I'm using loads of ugly Allen head cap screws for everything. This is because I had a full set of them and they will probably get replaced with dome heads when the build is complete. I replaced the bolts for the brake rotors already as they Interfered with the bearing carriers.
    The second pic is the 2 drive cassettes completed.

A lot of people who have seen it have said, why not get the motors now? (Which I still haven't got yet). It's because I wanted it to be a full complete buggy with all the little details ironed out before I move forward to power. This is because I don't want to rush anything. I know as soon as I see the wheels turning under their own power, I'll rush to get it out of the door, and I was it to be as good as I can get it.

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Nicely done.

There are a couple other electric powered projects here (dain?) on the site. I’ll bet they can help with any questions and such.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I'll have a look around. I've just been looking through your raptor build thread. That is on a complete higher level. Looking forward to reading through the lot. Such craftsmanship.

9. Collapse Details
    These are the hubs I spun up in the same style as the central drive cassette. 20mm bore and keyway broached into them. 6 bolts attaching the mounting plate to the hub centre. Wheels not bought at the point for they weren't drilled for the correct PCD.

10. Collapse Details
    These are all 4 hubs nearing completion and front and rear central drive cassettes. And 2 lumps of Ali which I can only presume were the beginnings of the uprights.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast