Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: 1/2 Scale Crawler in the UK
    Work then started on the uprights. Simple cylinders with the ends internally bored to take bearings. Not sure on the size I used but I think they were mountain bike bottom bracket one's. They won't be going fast and the size was perfect for the space I had. Plus they are very common, therefore cheap, and with the option to upgrade to some real high quality if needed.the joints are 10mm rose joints with hi- misalignment spacers.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    A-arms were next. These were 20mm mild steel. About 1.5mm thickness. Ends were threaded M10 and the mounting points were the just the tube I used which was about 16/17mm ID. I was planning to use delrin as the bushing material.

The a arms were all the same dimensions as I didn't need any camber change throughout the travel. (I keep having to remind myself that this is essentially a kids toy with no need for fancy geometry). This meant that I could keep the driveshafts solid as long as the mounting points on the chassis were in the same planes as the uprights.

3. Collapse Details
    Mounting tabs were next to be made. 5mm flat bar with the end notched out 20mm to match the tube I was going to use for the lower chassis. Drilled out to 8mm (Which is the size for 90% of the build). I cut to size and made up a little jig. I used the washer as the guide for the radius which meant I could replace if I went too far, and I could grind it quickly without burning my fingers!

4. Collapse Details
    Work on the chassis started once all 8 arms were complete, Delrin bushes were made from 20mm and the threaded inserts were welded in.
    I wanted to keep the width to a minimum and got some 30mm bearings. I had the eBay special universal joints so I could start working everything out. As long as the centre of the UJs was in line with the upper and lower a-arm mounting points, then all should be fine.

I raked the front up 20 degrees as I wanted the front to be able to take an impact with the springs taking some of the force. Plus it would look cool, and I'm all about looking cool haha!
    I actually ended up bringing the mounting points closer together than on these pics.

The width of the main chassis lower rails was to sit the 12v batteries inside of. Keeping the weight as low and central as possible.

5. Collapse Details
    The frame with the battery in. The length of the chassis has to be at least 4x the length of the batteries, so that's how long it is. Plus it fit in with the fact it would be half the length of a land rover defender 90" wheelbase. So I wanted the proportions to match the land rover.

6. Collapse Details
    A few shots of the a-arms together and the drive cassette placed inside. Was working out where it needed to be. I couldn't place it central as I needed space for the shock to go.

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Really nice work.

I like the combo use of materials and the simplicity of the design.

8. Collapse Details
    Here you start to get a sense of the scale of this, the plate it is on is 1m wide and short of 2m long ( I had cut a bit off the end for the sprocket and rotor carriers and the wheel hubs).

The seat I made from sheet Ali was placed in with the side bars so I could work out how much space I needed for the cockpit width. As it turned out, with the seat mounted at that level I needed the chassis to be longer for the legroom needed, and it was pretty narrow so I opted to mount the seat on top of the central battery cage. This solved the length and width issues but meant I had to build higher. So I decided to raise the level of the side bars with an angled floorpan.

The front a-arm mounts were completed along with the rear. And an aluminium plate was mounted to help stiffen the front and rear end up also with an integrated tow point.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Richard. I just finished your build thread, all I can say is Wow! If mine ends up a fraction as well as yours is looking, I'll be more than happy.

10. Collapse Details
    I started work on the belly pan. I knew it needed to be tough but was very weight conscious. I used 1mm thick steel sheet and drilled about 10 million holes (that's what it felt like) with a 1" hole saw and folded up the ends into a little tray. It was a bit flimsy so I knocked up a dimple die on the lathe and got to work. Fitted it into the tube work and tacked it into place.

The 4 batteries are a snug fit. So snug I have to tap the last one I to place with a nylon hammer. Which I'm happy with as I don't want batteries sliding around.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast