Thread: Heated buggy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Heated buggy
    Ok, so this is a bit of a weird idea, but if I could get it to work I think it would be cool. I'm planning on a making a fabric enclosure for my buggy that I could put on in the winter months, you know to keep snow and wind away. I was also planning on putting the radiator above and behind my head, so then I got thinking. Could I simply setup a switch to reverse the direction of the fan to push warm air into the cab? I have a few concerns with this, but I would like to hear what you guys think.

-Will the heated air be uncomfortably hot?
    -Will engine cooling suffer?
    -Would skipping the fan and just letting the heat radiate be better, or would that seriously affect engine cooling?

Keep in mind it will be <30F outside, and likely snowing. I would also be plowing snow for the most part, although I might fool around a little bit .

Thanks!

EDIT: I suppose I will throw in that the motorcycle was originally equipped with a very similar setup to heat your legs, although that's setup for moving at 60mph on the highway.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Heated buggy
    That is similar to how the old VW did it. Ever ride in the winter and notice how the heater sucked it had a fan that would blow across the cylinders. I think your set up would be worth a shot. only problem if you get too hot and need to turn it off the fan may need to run to cool the rad down. Although if its cold outside it may not matter. Let us know how that works out.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah I think I will try it, although y'all will have to wait untill I actually build the thing . I was thinking that if I didn't want the heat I could have the fan spin in its normal direction, sucking air from the cab outside. I could also add some vets on the roof and sides to let cold air in near the radiator.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lug-Nuts View Post
    That is similar to how the old VW did it. Ever ride in the winter and notice how the heater sucked it had a fan that would blow across the cylinders.
    They actually blow air through heater boxs around the exhaust pipes. A properly working VW system on a car with good weather stripping will cook you. The Germans know a thing or 2 about cold weather.........

As for the radiator idea. I have setup 4 seater rails with a reversible fan on the oil cooler doing essentially the same thing. Worked well for Southern California with no enclosure. Somewhere where it actually gets cold the enclosure would definitely help. Heated seats also work wonders.........

5. Collapse Details
    I think Jody at protodie has blown air forwards and had some sucsess not sure though.

6. Collapse Details
    Just a thought, maybe a small radiator in the cab, tee it into your cooling system, and mount it by your feet, with a small fan. Maybe even a couple ball valves to cut the flow to the heater for the summer time. This will keep the radiant heat away from you in the summer.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Just a thought, maybe a small radiator in the cab, tee it into your cooling system, and mount it by your feet, with a small fan. Maybe even a couple ball valves to cut the flow to the heater for the summer time. This will keep the radiant heat away from you in the summer.

Justin
    Yeah, I could do that, but it would be more $$. The main reason why I thought about doing this was because already have all the parts, cost of maybe an hour of my time at most. I think if it doesn't work I will be kept very warm by an enclosure and a jacket. Engine will need some ducts (or move radiator) if I decide not to use it as a heater, but that's no big deal.

Of course all of this is pretty much assuming it snows at all next year. I can't believe we only got maybe 18" of the stuff.... I sure hope it does because I will need plowing money, $400 for 100ft of 1 1/4" 14ga ERW is insane. I'm hoping that's the DOM price and that HERW or CERW is much less.

EDIT: do I need a certain post count before I can upload a profile picture? I got my Signature to show, but no profile picture.
    Last edited by r97; 03-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Slow and steady wins the race, right? I'll get there eventually.

8. Collapse Details
    Hi r97 i live in Maine i know what your talking about. I am building an ST3 and will also have a soft top made up for winter months. As far as the fan that should work as you an purchase either a push or pull fan depending on application. that depends on which side of the radiator it goes on when it comes to vehicles. the big differance is how the fins are designed it will be efficent one way but not so much the other. Or you can buy a fan that has fins that are neutral and can be switched either direction. First thing is to mount it the right direction for the summer. for max cooling. in the winter the oposite direction shouldnt matter much This being the fins are neutral if turning backwrds it will not turn very smooth I actually blew apart a alum fan on a 350 chevy s10 because it was turning the wrong direction and went through radiator(doesnt cool very well after that lol) And if you plow that puts alot of strain on any cooling system. I would find like an older jeep in a junk yard yank the heater system from it and mount it some how under dash and t your cooling line into it and run it through a small heat exchanger into the heater fan etc. whcih is some what what im going to do. old toyota FJ's use a heater under the seat, also old jeeps too and number of others. Good luck let us know how everything works. If i get to mine i'll keep all posted

9. Collapse Details
    just my 2 cents,The only problem is with most of the engine fans now days they are actauly cut to only push or pull very few are design to do both because this type of fan isnt as effecint as one designed to do one or the other. i would think it almost easier safer and more convient to run a heater core out of an older rig and hook it up to some cheap on off valves.

again my 2 cents and if money grew on trees

10. Collapse Details
    I agree with tall guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast