Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: HELP with a ODDY Project PLEASE!
    Yeah, those are good points.

I agree about building from scratch but the thing that appeals to me is the compact size.

I can push the buggy around so I don't think it would stop too quickly to be uncontrollable...I will pop a wheel back on and try to spin it while its in the air.

I guess I should get that thing degreased and see if I can find some markings on it.

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, im not 100% its a worm and wheel, it wouldn't go too fast if it was. Just the angle of the picture. Hard to tell if its just a supported pinion or not.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

3. Collapse Details
    Worm gearing can vary depending on the starts on the worm. I had a quad start gear, which would be 8:1 for a 32 tooth ring gear. It was able to back drive the worm. A single or double wouldn't be able to.

Hypoid gears at sort of a combo between a worm and a ring/pinion, and almost all rwd cars use them now.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

4. Collapse Details
    I am going to clean the carbs and replace the lines and mix up some good gas.

It will run but probably not enough to test it out.

Once I can actually run it I will be able to tell whether it would need a regear, which means start from scratch.

5. Collapse Details
    Compact size is easy to duplicate. Question is can you fit in it? Is already been pointed out that your head is far to close to the top if this machine will be driven faster than say ten or fifteen miles an hour.

I would not sink to much money into this creation. Might be fun to get running and beat it a lil (get a helmet and pad the hell out of the tubes.....But if it flips you could still injure yourself badely! You simply to tall for it so the compactedness is not winning any arguements in that area. If you are talking compactedness in terms of footprint its easy to make small if you are not going after a lot of suspension travel.

I do see the guy appeal to anything with a motor but I would bet once you figure it all out scratch would be likely better than mods to this machine. Its not my money but I feel you will look back soon enough and say. "Yah,....Shoulda did something different."
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    All good points.

I really believe that I can get a seat in lower...this one is sitting above the frame rails. Pretty confident I can get more headroom.

I will do something with this piece...wife will be POd if I don't!

7. Collapse Details
    Might be a golf cart rear end. The older ones had the CVT like that.

Looks pretty farm yard engineered and like its been run rough and put away wet and greasy.

Not sure its worth stickin a lot of time and money into.
    Edge Piranha with Sled Engine, 2 Margay sprint race karts, and a couple of fun Karts

8. Collapse Details
    It was definitely a farm yard build.

Rear brake was actually engaging which is probably the only way the 11 year old son was able to ride it...removed brake and it is basically dangerous.

Opened up the carbs and they looked clean. Put in new plugs and some fresh mix and it atcually runs well considering the rigged up exhaust, etc.

The recoil rope was not retracted all the way and was making a racket but it seems to run good. I think the clutch has a broken spring...something is rattling in there.

Click the PIC for VIDEO:

I see a lot of those golf cart guys running sled engines. Is the consensus that they can hold up?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomike9 View Post
    Might be a golf cart rear end. The older ones had the CVT like that.

Looks pretty farm yard engineered and like its been run rough and put away wet and greasy.

Not sure its worth stickin a lot of time and money into.
    That's what a project is, right?

Winter is coming and this is what I will be doing...

10. Collapse Details
    No expansion pipe, is going to hurt the power.

Maybe the rattle is coming from the loose pipe connection?

Looks like the rear wheels aren't spinning very fast when the clutch goes fully closed? The driven isn't closing all the way.

I think If you get in this and hit it, its going to flip over backwards! LOL.

So, if that is a golf kart drive unit, it may be tough enough to handle the load of that engine.

Maybe figure out the drive ratio? Spin the input by hand and count how many times it spins for one revolution of the axles.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast