Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ProtoLite Car Complete
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Here is my car "ProtoLite" finally finished (except for the new rims that are not here yet) I say finished, but we will always be testing and performance tuning, and improving.

We built 2 cars, and I'm sure the other car pics will be posted soon.

Here are some specs.

Motor: GSXR 600 fuel inj. 103 HP
    Wheel base front to back : 76"
    Track width: 68-70"
    Roll cage : .083 thick X 1.5 Dia tubing
    suspension travel: 12" ish Fox 2.0 air shox

Have friend who races late models showing up tonight with 4 car scales so we will find out weight and balance. That will be interesting. I am guessing 750-800 lbs

Also throwing in the design cad pic.

2. Collapse Details
    More pics

3. Collapse Details
    2nd Car Pictures
    Here are some pictures of the other car

4. Collapse Details
    Re: ProtoLite Car Complete
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie
    Here is my car "ProtoLite" finally finished (except for the new rims that are not here yet) I say finished, but we will always be testing and performance tuning, and improving.

We built 2 cars, and I'm sure the other car pics will be posted soon.

Here are some specs.

Motor: GSXR 600 fuel inj. 103 HP
    Wheel base front to back : 76"
    Track width: 68-70"
    Roll cage : .083 thick X 1.5 Dia tubing
    suspension travel: 12" ish Fox 2.0 air shox

Have friend who races late models showing up tonight with 4 car scales so we will find out weight and balance. That will be interesting. I am guessing 750-800 lbs

Also throwing in the design cad pic.

874 lbs 8)

5. Collapse Details
    940lbs with a few gallons of gas in, a bit more than I thought. I guess the panels and aluminum skid plates added abit.
    59% rear and 41% front with driver in. Should fly nicely.

6. Collapse Details
    Posted this in the racing, stories section, I guess it falls under both catagories?? Anyhow you need real player to view the video

1st flat track race of the season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were only 3 cars that made it to this race. We had a couple of mechanical failures, but what a blast. I burned up one of the rear wheel bearings in the 1st heat race and did not bring a spare, so I did not run the feature race,,,,bummer. I was planning on changing over the rear drive train bearings after the race,,,,,guess I should have sooner.
    The track was rough and muddy. We had the car shocks set up for my flat track which was way too soft for these track conditions. It would have been better if we could have made the test & tune the week before to get them dialed in.
    We added 30lbs nitro to Dan's front shocks for the feature which helped alot.
    We may also need to gear a touch lower yet. It was a fun race to watch even if I was sitting in the stands.
    Dan took the lead, but then lost it with 3 laps to go due to the brake system building pressure and locking up the fronts. After the race, found out that it was a forgotten piece of duct tape covering the master cylinder vent hole . But all in all we were happy with how the cars performed for the 1st time racing. We have our list of tuning improvements to do before the next race, but can't wait.

Below is a link to a video of the feature race.

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/Bobs_main_05-21-06.ram

7. Collapse Details
    Looks like a lot of fun!

8. Collapse Details
    definetly looks like they dont come on out of the corners, but they will im sure with a little tuning, didnt make it over sunday, was pretty windy and not the favorable of temp, wife didnt want to take the babies out! were on a roll to 13 month old never has had a fever, moma watches closely!!!!

Cant wait to get mine done now, may have to go visit the cu and get me some more money to get it done! 8)

9. Collapse Details
    Learned a ton about brakes now.
    It was not the duct tape, but we had moisture in the brake fliud that caused the pressure bulding in the brakes causing the front wheels to lock up.
    The best lessons are learned the hard way. I was not aware that brake fluid can draw moisture out of the air and get contaminated.

Another lesson learned, The 3/16 abs plastic we used for panels expands easily when out in the hot sun, causing a slight buckle between mounting points.
    Silicone caulk on the back side will help this on rivited panels, and a aluminim backer under the hood which is removable.
    I was going to change over to all aluminum panels and powder coat, but after seeing how bad you get blasted by gravel rooster tails when you are right on someones ass chasing them around the track....I will keep the plastic for racing. It proved to be very durable and if I had powder coated aluminum panels in the front, they would not look so nice after the 1st race.

10. Collapse Details
    That was an awsome race........the only thing that would have made it better is..............if you WON...............anyway it looks like you had a GREAT time......good job.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast