MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ski doo drive clutch strip down

I have one of these drive clutches on my pilot with 800 rotax engine and I am a big fan of the way it works but have never taken one apart. *I have just got another one for my next project but it looks a bit dirty and dry inside, how do I take it apart ( I assume its the 3 bolts but I do not want it to fly apart and lose some bits) and what parts need to be greased and what kind of grease should I use ?
I am told it may have a HRP kit in it, how can I tell and what difference will it make to the power delivery ?
Thanks Lee.
LEE1969GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: ski doo drive clutch strip down

Lee,

On the TRA clutch the fixed sheeve and movable sheeve come apart, they are either splined or tapered fit. *Before you take it apart the clutched is indexed for weight balance, make sure you keep the clutch together the same way. *In the picture you can see an arrow all three parts should line up with this arrow. *On the rim of the movable sheeve there should be a small raised triangle pointing to the big arrow (we call it the spider). *On the fixed side (by the engine) there is also a notch, so when you put slide it together it fits into the splines. *Mark the notch with a sharpie as it's hard to see.

Taking it "apart"

1. Take your clutch puller bolt and thread it into the clutch, keep some room between the head and clutch, then tap on the puller bolt. *This will seperate the two halves. *Another way is to put your hands where the belt goes and swedge them apart, this works on the splined clutches and when in good working order, I suspect yours will need some gentle persuasion with hammer.

2. *The movable sheeve just slides apart, the bolts are only for adjusting the ramp angle, you'll see when you have it apart. *There are three slide areas where the movable sheeve moves on the spider (inner part with the bolts) *I spray them with comet dry lube, for getting them apart use some lube. *There is two each slider buttons on arm of the spider, on each button is a rubber o-ring and on the non torque side there is a spring. *Skidoo makes a (three) tool that helps hold each one in place as you take apart and put together. *You can do this by hand but it a pain. *As you get the spider close to the edge, pull one out at a time by cocking the spider up. *The small spring is not powerful at all it will just help you loose a slider button. *You can make holders real easy as the buttons have a slot down the middle of each one. *The holder tools just slide down these slots compressing the spring. *On the new 800R clutch they did not have springs just o-rings, also this is the first time I ran into the taper fit instead of splined on the fixed end. *The taper fit most definately needs the clutch puller bolt to tap apart the fixed half from the movable half.

That's it, the rest is pretty east. *You'll see how the three bolts are camed like a cam-shaft lobe. *It raises the ramp angle which inparts raises your rpm. *

The main spring is housed in a cup on the inside of the spider, this is where your clutch kit will be. *The only thing you can change in the TRA is the weight of the three arms, the engagement spring in the spider and the ramps (profile) *Not sure what comes with your kit but it is one or all of these.

I don't use grease but Comet dry lube, you don't want grease to get on the clutch faces and it will when the clutch is hot. *ALso there is some bushings in the clutch that you could replace if they are worn bad. *I clean up the fixed shaft with scotch bright, take off any oxidation, and I use it on the clutch faces. *Easiest was it on the motor spinning.

Wayne
Akpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Wayne,[smilie=banghead.gif] I split the 2 halves and pulled it off the splines before I knew about the aligning marks, I assume that is one of the marks with my wifes (she does have some uses ) finger pointing to it, where is the other one ?
It looks very dry in there, I will not get comet dry lube over here will copper slip grease do the job ok?
I have noticed that the slots where the spring loaded sliders run are not as long (do not stick out as much) as the one on my pilot, what will be the difference?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lee,

On your second picture, the cut that houses the large engagement spring has a arrow on it. *The arrow points to a mark on the rim of the movable sheave. *It is a small raised triangle. *All these allow one to keep the clutch indexed. *On the cup is the bushing, check to see if it is ok. *You can take off the cup, but use *about 12" of allthread with nuts and fender washers as the spring is pretty strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE1969GB\";p=\&quot View Post
I have noticed that the slots where the spring loaded sliders run are not as long (do not stick out as much) as the one on my pilot, what will be the difference?
Not sure what your asking: *The "slots" are there only for the "holders tools" for taking and putting together the clutch. *The slots do not do anything for the clutch's performance. *If you don't have Comet dry lube I would use a greasless type of lube, teflon or sylicone based. *On the lube you just don't want too much on the clutch. *What I lube is the three slider button grooves and the spider cups' bushing.

Wayne
Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

So the part in picture 1 and the part on the right in picture 2, do those need to be indexed?
I have managed to find and order some comet lube here in the uk.
I mean the "tracks" on the outer hub (the part on the right picture 2) look to stick out less than the ones on the other one I have.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lee, i believe there are 3 different TRA clutches...The one in the pilot is a TRA111...I Believe...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

other clutch
Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugpac\";p=\&quot View Post
Lee, i believe there are 3 different TRA clutches...The one in the pilot is a TRA111...I Believe...
Do they all fit the same pto shaft? Is that the difference the length of the "tracks"?
Thanks Lee.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lee,

Those have nothing to do with the clutch's performance. *Skidoo started to cut back the large face of the movable clutch for cooling purposes. *Measure the the two sliders and they should be the same. *I sent my mod sled's clutch down to get the "440" cut at Kenetic Machine, I'll try and get a pic. when I go home. *This opens up the front end of the clutch so more air can cool the clutch, also it lightens it up.

Wayne
Old 05-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

I believe they are the same pto shaft, as far as i know the tra 3 was put on the big tripples...