MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

View Poll Results: What would you pay?
$3000.00 10 83.33%
$4500.00 2 16.67%
MORE ??????? 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

BANNED

Default New FNR transmission

What would you be willing to spend on a FNR without a differential for a mid size buggy of 1200+ pounds and 225+ HP? WHY? Please don't reply concerning anything smaller.This is aimed only at the larger and more powerful stuff.Your opinion though would be appreciated concerning the bigger buggies.
masterfabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New FNR transmission

Is this with or without a differential?

Recent addition... Front steering mod!
plkracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

BANNED

Without a diff..
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is my thought. *I'm going to spend 15K or more to build a 2 seater with 170-185 hp out of a stock engine (ZX10R) in my case. *I could be 20-30 miles away from camp in the bottom of a 100 ft deep sand bowl. *I don't want to be stuck because my driveline breaks. *I know things break, that's life, but I want a very high degree of confidence that each time I go out I will come back, under my own vehicle's power.

The group that I go with have many tails, one includes spending 10 hrs in just such a situation swapping out a transmission, including cutting and welding so the doner trans would fit, just to get back to camp. *Granted the vehicle was too heavy, and buried, in that 2 V8's hooked to it at the same time could not get it moving. *I wasn't there, fortunately, so I cannot give a first hand account.

Now, knowing myself, after a season or 2 the stock engine won't be enough, I'll want a turbo. *I've seen Muzzy's kit and dyno chart showing 250 whp. *Unless I decide to stop duning, I know that kit, or maybe a better one, will go into the rail. *I'd like to plan for that now and not have to re-design or buy new equipment to accomodate it.

Even if I don't add the turbo, at the very least I will have a large factor of safety and much more confidence.
dunerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

BANNED

In dollars what is that worth to you?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

$3000 is just too much to pay for a FNR IMHO. *

Dan's box is by far the best deal and is very versatile for use with CVT and chain drive. *His box is borderline of what I consider reasonable to pay for a FNR. *I know they are a lot of work to design and that is worth something but if his box wasn't out there, I would have probably just done a mid engine setup with a VW style trans.
standfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bid $4500 on the poll. *I'd probably pay more if I had ample supporting data to show it would do what I want.

Everyone in my group with V8's rebuilds their Mendi every year or else they break sometime the next season. *It is a punishing enviroment.

My old tired 900RR nearly twisted a PTO shaft in half. *It is hard to find well engineered drop in solutions. *Unless someone starts making 10s of thousands of units a year, it is going to be costly.

Another comment, my wife rides in the buggy with me. *Paying a couple thousand extra to never hear her bitch about being broken is well spent.
dunerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

BANNED

Good points! The low volume is the real kicker as far as the price goes. IF someone built a unit what would you consider to be acceptable as far as supporting data is concerned? Dyno testing or real world testing? Testimonials? I'm not quite sure that any dyno testing would prove much.WHat are your thoughts about that? In other words what would impress you?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes

A dyno test doesnt put near the abuse on the drivetrain that an equal amount of time in the sand would.....It would make for a viable bench mark thou,
In example, *It would take a 400 hp dyno rated rear end to hold up to a 200hp sand rail.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes
busasandrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

BANNED

I can agree with that.
Sponsored Links