MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
fns

Default Need suggestions on my current chain setup on my busa buggy

I am looking for suggestion about chain tension on my buggy setup. So many different views out on this subject.
My Setup:
Turbo Hayabusa running 18lbs
530 chain
67 tooth rear sprockt 15 tooth front sprocket
16 3/4" from center to center of sprockets
48 links in chain
Here is a link to a video of my chain play. I can easly change my tension with the rear end setup we made.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attac...1&d=1351531956
Attached Images
File Type: jpg re.jpg (56.9 KB, 96 views)
fns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need suggestions on my current chain setup on my busa buggy

I prefer it slightly tighter, you don't want it to whip. The chain will be a bit looser when warmed up.
powermizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

What exactly is your problem?
MC@ Performance Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

A 15 tooth countershaft sprocket might be a bit much for a Turbo Hayabusa. The tooth bending stress is going to be higher than using a 19 or 20 tooth sprocket setup. You could go with a stronger material for the sprocket up front which would help. Keep an eye on it and see how it goes. You may also want to consider a spring loaded tensioner to help with on/off dynamic loads.
NinjaRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
fns

Up to now I have been trying to use a sprocket made by a friend of mine. I could not keep a chain alive longer than a day. I have tried different 530 and 630 chains....I am hopeing my sprockets just have been poorly made. This time I had sidewinder make me a front and rear sprocket. This will be its first trip with the new sprockets. In the past I have ran the chain a little tighter. However I think I read about someone wanting the chain to have a little more play??? Not sure just hoping to talk to someone that has success with a high hp mini...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Most likely your friends sprocket was not heat treated to the correct hardness. Their really should not be any problem. If the chain is to loose its not good and if its to tight your putting more load on each of the links as its turning. I think with the sidewinder sprockets you should be good to go.
MC@ Performance Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fns View Post
I could not keep a chain alive longer than a day.
In what way was the chain failing? Did the sprockets also wear? Any pictures of the failed chain/sprocket?
dunerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
fns

The Chain would stretch and the sprockets would be worn out. The side o-rings looked the same on both sides. So I do not think it is a miss alignment problem. I am hoping that it was my friend that was water jetting the sprockets was the cause of the problem. We also tried to used an aluminum rear sprocket to save weight. I am hoping that now with sidewinder sprockets this will fix my issues. I am now trying to see what the best chain slack I should run. In the past I have ran my chain a little tighter than what the video shows. Any suggestions in that regards or even tips that helped anyone out on a higher hp mini. Chain cleaning/lube? Is it best to drive a few miles before getting on it hard? Only using the clutch to start? Any other good practice to follow?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chains stretch. My first 600cc street bike I didn't anticipate this, and it streteched to the point that it almost came off within the first 500 miles. After re-tensioning, the stretch rate lowered significantly.

Your chain is much shorter, so the overall growth in chain length will be less, but it will still grow. Once the inital stretch is done, it should settle in.

This is also my experience in chain driven buggies.

Note, a stretching chain is not a failure, at least not in my book.

You don't need nearly the chain slack that is recommended for motorcycles, since there is no change in distance between the sprockets as a function of suspension movement. Streetbikes have this to a small degree, dirtbikes to a much greater degree.

I lube my chain with WD-40, which was recommended to me by long time dirtbike riders. Street wise I used a waxed based lubricant. I found that to attract more dirt and sand and have been happy with the WD-40. I am using X-Ring chains.

I tried a good quality hardened 12 tooth front on my 900rr powered buggy. I found that teeth were being bent in the direction of load (they started sloping backwards). 14 tooth sprocket has eliminated this.
dunerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

The 16" center to center is short. 48 plates chain, so 96 pin? But good sprockets and chains, you should get a yr from chain. But nothing will beat larger sprockets so chain doesnt have to bend so much and chain lenght to allow to cool before its next turn. Could something be flexing to allow mis-allignment under load(18lbs =300-325 hp) But usually uneven side plate wear would show.
CARLRIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links