Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FWD Transaxle to 4x4
    I have a Suzuki full time 4x4 atv that has a junked engine. It has a good frame, steering and suspension and two shaft drive differentials. My idea is to stretch the frame and use a 4cyl engine and transaxle from a front wheel drive car (like a cavalier) to power it. I plan to somehow mount the transaxle sideways and use the cv axles as my driveshafts for the stock differentials. I haven't really seen anything like this on the net, tell me what you think.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: FWD Transaxle to 4x4
    Millenium Member
    You'd have to lock the diff in the tranny, But there been a few discusion about it.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
    You'd have to lock the diff in the tranny, But there been a few discusion about it.
    I'm not that familiar with these, would it be like welding the spider gears in a regular differential?

4. Collapse Details
    you would sit just ahead of the engine? would the engine not be closer to the front of the vehicle?

5. Collapse Details
    There is a company that builds rock crawlers with Honda engines that way. I can't recall there name?

6. Collapse Details
    I'm not real sure about the mounting, as I haven't located a donor engine and tranny. But I would like to keep it as centered as possible. I don't know if I would want to go the stretched out 4 wheeler route, UTV style or rail style.

7. Collapse Details
    My main question about this project would be: Since the cv axles are already going through one differential system and then into another, would I end up with a super high gear ratio, or super low? I'm afraid that I might be running 4000rpm and moving 5mph on this buggy. I live in West Virginia so there are mudholes, but there are a lot of hills and trails in between.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilWV View Post
    My main question about this project would be: Since the cv axles are already going through one differential system and then into another, would I end up with a super high gear ratio, or super low? I'm afraid that I might be running 4000rpm and moving 5mph on this buggy. I live in West Virginia so there are mudholes, but there are a lot of hills and trails in between.
    it will depend some on what ratio diffs you have and what size tyres you intend to use but more or less you will be reducing your top speed by a factor of 4 since most front wheeldrive engine and boxes uses a diff around 4 to 1, however you can get some of the top speed back by increasing your tyre size

this is l guess the same arrangement as you are talking about ?

the original car the engine/box came from used to do 80 mph so this should do 20 on the same 13" dia wheels but as it has 30 " tyres instead it does in fact hit about 40 flat out in fourth and first is very low second is used for most things, and yes the diff in the transmission is just the same as the axle one and you will will need to weld it up. or find an lsd one

Andy

9. Collapse Details
    That is exactly what I'm talking about!

10. Collapse Details
    Yes the diff in the front wheel drive would be jsut like a diff in a common rear end. Yes you would need to either go in there and weld it or come up with some kind of external shaft that would be capable of locking it.

Heres why I would NOT do it that way you are talking.

The car tranny and engine will destroy the ATV diffs in short order. WAY to much torque.

It WILL seem to be geared to deep cause it will be. Bigger tires will help the ratio but again the torque and bigger tires will mean poor ATV diff life.

Sell the $$$ atv stuff and scarf up some cheap 4x4 axles off a straight axle or independent car rear diffs and use those. A fraction of the price but WAY tougher for the small weight penalty.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast