MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hayabusa Clutch won't disengage cold

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my Coyote Desert Dog when its cold and hasn't been used for a week or two. When I start it up and depress the clutch to shift it into gear, the clutch pack does not release and it jumps as if you didn't use the clutch at all. I have checked the amount of throw I have from the hydaulic piston and it appears to be correct. After I have let it run for 15 minutes or so and tried a few times to put it into gear, it finally breaks loose. Once that has happened, it works like a champ from there on out. The clutch pack has been checked, the plates, and discs are all within spec and the spings are fresh (new pair installed).

I know that some haybusa bikes have had this issue and typically put the bike against a wall and break the clutch loose that way or some other method....

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening and what I can do to correct it???
NinjaRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hayabusa Clutch won't disengage cold

When that has happened on one of my dirt bikes, it turned out that the clutch disks had worn enough that the oil slotts were to thin for oil to get around and between the disks. Without the oil getting through and around, there's a suction holding disks together, that's why after several tries it starts to work again, when the oil has gotten in there.IMO
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
When that has happened on one of my dirt bikes, it turned out that the clutch disks had worn enough that the oil slotts were to thin for oil to get around and between the disks. Without the oil getting through and around, there's a suction holding disks together, that's why after several tries it starts to work again, when the oil has gotten in there.IMO
Wow, that's interesting. Even though the clutch discs are in spec, they are whats causing this issue. Looks like I need to get a new set of discs....
Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

What kind of oil you run?

Way is see it the only real solution is to not let it sit so much.
CARLRIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi ninja,gheck with kaw. dealer,they have oil with clutch addative.Might be worth a try.Ghost
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
What kind of oil you run?

Way is see it the only real solution is to not let it sit so much.
The oil is fresh, 10w40, Castrol. I have been starting and working the clutch once a week when not at the dunes. Once we are at the dunes, its works fine. Food for thought, I should be at the dunes a lot more these days. Heck we all should

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Hi ninja,gheck with kaw. dealer,they have oil with clutch addative.Might be worth a try.Ghost
This might be worth trying as well. I'll see if I can find some information on it.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

My friends CRF450R use to do the same thing he would have to work it back and forth with the clutch in while in gear to loosen it up. After that it would work fine. Unfortunately the bike was stolen before we figure out why. The response by boilermaker seems to make the most sense.
crazywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywatson View Post
My friends CRF450R use to do the same thing he would have to work it back and forth with the clutch in while in gear to loosen it up. After that it would work fine. Unfortunately the bike was stolen before we figure out why. The response by boilermaker seems to make the most sense.
Thats what I was thinking, I am going to get a new set of discs ordered and see if that cures it.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here's an update on the clutch issue. I have a few pics below that show the discs/plates. It appears that they are somewhat rusted in place, maybe rust is not the right word, but they were glued to each other. I had to pry them apart. I also found a bit of condensation inside the clutch cover itself and a small traces mixed in the oil left in the clutch case area after the oil was drained. The oil I drained from the engine was free of water.

I don't think I have a water leakage issue in the engine, but this can't be normal condensation from sitting, just starting the engine and running it each week for about 15-20 minutes. ...

I have a replacement clutch pack coming from APE racing, but I am still baffled about the moisture in the clutch cover. Some websites have stated this is normal in a hayabusa if it hasn't been started and run to get rid of the water/condensation.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch1.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch2.jpg (41.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch3.jpg (44.8 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links