MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Yamaha / KTM has produced an electric scrambler that has swappable battery packs that will give you 45min hard riding. Not sure if I want spontaneously combustive batteries so close to my jewels. Also, think about Formula 1, they use electric motors in the hubs to boost power, they are charged under breaking as far as I remember.
tbwcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

First I have heard of Formula 1 doing that with the hubs. Will have to look into that some.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

It's also lap timed... I'll explain a little bit.
It charges off the braking.. and has only a limited supply every lap. Just like a video game. Plus the trailing car also has the DRS... So The wing slot open reducing down force allowing for passing. Now the car in second place has to be with in 1 second of the 1st car...... But the power assist is just like a video game boost. Limited per lap and chargeable off the brakes.... Like a prius.

F1 came up with this and it is exciting to watch now because of these 2 things.
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
First I have heard of Formula 1 doing that with the hubs. Will have to look into that some.
its call kers or some thing simerler sorry about spelling
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdamPBussey
adamphillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

l would doubt they use electric motors in the hubs on F1 cars, unsprung weight would be badly compromised which unlikerly to be acceptable on something whith such finicky handling, from an engineering point of view it would make more sense to feed the power in at the crank pully as you wouldent have to sychronzise elec motor speed with gearbox out put speed also if you are going to add weight to a very finely balance peice of handling equipment l would think ( guess ) that you would want in in the centre of the vehicle to minimise its effects as much as possible, you would also have terrific problem with the heat generated from carbon brakes, discs burst into flames not helpfull to an electric motor which in its self is adding more heat ?? and how would you get the power cables to the motors ? zip tie them to the wishbones ? we is talking 400 volts here big cables

Last edited by Baloo; 05-06-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
l would doubt they use electric motors in the hubs on F1 cars, unsprung weight would be badly compromised which unlikerly to be acceptable on something whith such finicky handling, from an engineering point of view it would make more sense to feed the power in at the crank pully as you wouldent have to sychronzise elec motor speed with gearbox out put speed also if you are going to add weight to a very finely balance peice of handling equipment l would think ( guess ) that you would want in in the centre of the vehicle to minimise its effects as much as possible, you would also have terrific problem with the heat generated from carbon brakes, discs burst into flames not helpfull to an electric motor which in its self is adding more heat ?? and how would you get the power cables to the motors ? zip tie them to the wishbones ? we is talking 400 volts here big cables

Well I will post this, If you Google F1 regenerative braking.... It will show you what it is.,.... **Just to clarify... "I said Like a prius"... Wouldnt be at the wheels... But internally.... But like the same principal. No harm no foul..

Brake energy regeneration in F1 by 2009

And this one too is more info on BHP
http://www.evworld.com/syndicated/ev...ticle_1160.cfm

Last edited by Chikin; 05-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: added link
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwcurtis View Post
Yamaha / KTM has produced an electric scrambler that has swappable battery packs that will give you 45min hard riding. Not sure if I want spontaneously combustive batteries so close to my jewels. Also, think about Formula 1, they use electric motors in the hubs to boost power, they are charged under breaking as far as I remember.
sorry Chickin1974 the post above was the one l was relying to re hub motors

l might know little about buggies but F1 cars l have followed since l was little boy, and thats a long time ago lol

here's the basic typical set up for electric system, l was going to say battery system but red bull appear to be using super capacitors now instead of batteries, only one team that l know of has persevered with a flywheel system ( williams gp ) and that may have more to do with it being suitable to cross over to road cars as they are an independent team and need to raise money from the sale of technology to industry,

the mgu is fixed to the front of the crank from where it can either charge the batteries or power the crank depending on mode

motor generator unit that is fixed to the front of the crank

if anyone wants to know about F1 in more detail l can recommend ScarbF1 he seems to have access to the most secret of information, here's his explanation of KERS

KERS anatomy | Scarbsf1's Blog

Mercedes AMG: KERS development | Scarbsf1's Blog

and here is his main page where you can find info on any technical aspect of an F1 car

Scarbsf1's Blog | Everything technical in F1

well worth reading if you are a petrolhead er l mean gearhead over there

Andy

Last edited by Baloo; 05-07-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Also an interesting read
Product Prototypes e-CarE46
http://www.evdrive.com/prototypes/ca...-moto-crf250r/

Last edited by RickSA; 05-07-2012 at 06:08 PM..
RickSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the correction, I was not sure how they did it, but now I do. Frickin incredible what they can achieve!! Ciao
tbwcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links