MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Reply
Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 248



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Yamaha / KTM has produced an electric scrambler that has swappable battery packs that will give you 45min hard riding. Not sure if I want spontaneously combustive batteries so close to my jewels. Also, think about Formula 1, they use electric motors in the hubs to boost power, they are charged under breaking as far as I remember.
tbwcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
nutz4sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 5,895



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

First I have heard of Formula 1 doing that with the hubs. Will have to look into that some.
__________________
Some people need a sympathetic pat on the head................... With a hammer.
nutz4sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member
 
Chikin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
Posts: 3,536



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

It's also lap timed... I'll explain a little bit.
It charges off the braking.. and has only a limited supply every lap. Just like a video game. Plus the trailing car also has the DRS... So The wing slot open reducing down force allowing for passing. Now the car in second place has to be with in 1 second of the 1st car...... But the power assist is just like a video game boost. Limited per lap and chargeable off the brakes.... Like a prius.

F1 came up with this and it is exciting to watch now because of these 2 things.
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
adamphillip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: peterborough UK
Posts: 291



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
First I have heard of Formula 1 doing that with the hubs. Will have to look into that some.
its call kers or some thing simerler sorry about spelling
__________________
Adam the motorbike guy
and no I don't build buggys, I just think about them!
for motorbike videos with random topics head to:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdamPBussey
adamphillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 190



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

l would doubt they use electric motors in the hubs on F1 cars, unsprung weight would be badly compromised which unlikerly to be acceptable on something whith such finicky handling, from an engineering point of view it would make more sense to feed the power in at the crank pully as you wouldent have to sychronzise elec motor speed with gearbox out put speed also if you are going to add weight to a very finely balance peice of handling equipment l would think ( guess ) that you would want in in the centre of the vehicle to minimise its effects as much as possible, you would also have terrific problem with the heat generated from carbon brakes, discs burst into flames not helpfull to an electric motor which in its self is adding more heat ?? and how would you get the power cables to the motors ? zip tie them to the wishbones ? we is talking 400 volts here big cables

Last edited by Baloo; 05-06-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Senior Banned Member
 
Chikin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
Posts: 3,536



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
l would doubt they use electric motors in the hubs on F1 cars, unsprung weight would be badly compromised which unlikerly to be acceptable on something whith such finicky handling, from an engineering point of view it would make more sense to feed the power in at the crank pully as you wouldent have to sychronzise elec motor speed with gearbox out put speed also if you are going to add weight to a very finely balance peice of handling equipment l would think ( guess ) that you would want in in the centre of the vehicle to minimise its effects as much as possible, you would also have terrific problem with the heat generated from carbon brakes, discs burst into flames not helpfull to an electric motor which in its self is adding more heat ?? and how would you get the power cables to the motors ? zip tie them to the wishbones ? we is talking 400 volts here big cables

Well I will post this, If you Google F1 regenerative braking.... It will show you what it is.,.... **Just to clarify... "I said Like a prius"... Wouldnt be at the wheels... But internally.... But like the same principal. No harm no foul..

Brake energy regeneration in F1 by 2009

And this one too is more info on BHP
http://www.evworld.com/syndicated/ev...ticle_1160.cfm

Last edited by Chikin; 05-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: added link
Chikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 190



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwcurtis View Post
Yamaha / KTM has produced an electric scrambler that has swappable battery packs that will give you 45min hard riding. Not sure if I want spontaneously combustive batteries so close to my jewels. Also, think about Formula 1, they use electric motors in the hubs to boost power, they are charged under breaking as far as I remember.
sorry Chickin1974 the post above was the one l was relying to re hub motors

l might know little about buggies but F1 cars l have followed since l was little boy, and thats a long time ago lol

here's the basic typical set up for electric system, l was going to say battery system but red bull appear to be using super capacitors now instead of batteries, only one team that l know of has persevered with a flywheel system ( williams gp ) and that may have more to do with it being suitable to cross over to road cars as they are an independent team and need to raise money from the sale of technology to industry,





the mgu is fixed to the front of the crank from where it can either charge the batteries or power the crank depending on mode



motor generator unit that is fixed to the front of the crank



if anyone wants to know about F1 in more detail l can recommend ScarbF1 he seems to have access to the most secret of information, here's his explanation of KERS

KERS anatomy | Scarbsf1's Blog

Mercedes AMG: KERS development | Scarbsf1's Blog


and here is his main page where you can find info on any technical aspect of an F1 car

Scarbsf1's Blog | Everything technical in F1

well worth reading if you are a petrolhead er l mean gearhead over there

Andy

Last edited by Baloo; 05-07-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Also an interesting read
Product Prototypes e-CarE46
http://www.evdrive.com/prototypes/ca...-moto-crf250r/

Last edited by RickSA; 05-07-2012 at 06:08 PM..
RickSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 248



Default Re: has anyone made a diesel electric buggy before?

Awesome, thanks for the correction, I was not sure how they did it, but now I do. Frickin incredible what they can achieve!! Ciao
tbwcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Too Wild A Buggy Build For You? Redliner Projects in Progress 67 04-10-2013 06:16 PM
Trying to decide on a buggy! HELP mx450rider Frame 9 09-21-2010 01:05 PM
Dingo buggy build Unconcerned Projects in Progress 9 08-12-2010 11:17 PM
2 Seat Mini 4X4 Buggy TutTech Projects in Progress 29 12-17-2009 05:05 PM
I'm a first time buggy builder ReinIse Projects in Progress 2 05-11-2006 01:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC7