MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Go Back   MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community > :::Fabrication::: > Driveline

Driveline Mini-buggy transmission, differentials, Forward Neutral Reverse (FNR) and gearing discussions.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking 4-wheel drive

Has anyone built a 4-wheel drive buggy and if so how did you do it and how does it run? I was thinking maybe 2 subaru rear diffs one right side up and one upside down chain driven off the same drive shaft with a large snowmobile engine. Any thoughts?
bradurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 4-wheel drive

I believe if you flip the Suby diff upside down the wheels will be turning the reverse direction.
Need one of these.
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~ttriebler/index_files/Page1716.htm
1lowcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Admin

Search for a thread by Rustynuts. He built a 4x4 using a quad. There are one or two others including some brilliant work by one of our Brit members. Sorry to not remember his name at this moment.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Having one diff right side up and one upside down the wheels will turn the same direction when the input shafts are facing each other because it puts the pinion on the opposite side of the ring gear. I checked out the local pull n save today, differential is $27 and complete hubs and all is only $60.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

There is a fella by the name of Baloo on the other site that made a cool mini rock crawler and I beleive he is a britt and I think he has been on here also. This may be the guy that Gene is talking about.
It looked like a prety cool set up. the engine drove a differential that was placed sideways in the buggy. There was a drive shaft going to the front and one to the rear. Each driveshaft drove another front and rear differential to turn the tires. not a very fast unit but it would go just about anywhere. I thought it was a neat design. there are some vidios on youtube. try searching mini rock crawlers. Not sure if this is the kind of 4x4 you were talking about, but it's prety coo any way.
He gave me the link to his buddy's build.

Difflock :: View topic - lightweight rock crawler and bike engined 4x4 buggy

Last edited by Stomper; 03-26-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

maybe is not a lot of help but at least you can see how they hook up the engine with the transmission
willysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thats pretty cool. I've talked to my uncle who is pretty knowledgable about these things and he talked about driving the front and rear from another diff sideways in between, but that really kills the gearing and robs power. Thats technically the way most awd vehicles are today to stop the binding and hopping between front and rear axles. Most 4wd pickups don,t have a center diff though and I don,t think it is necessary for an off road buggy either. Where I live old subie rear ends are real common and pretty cheap. I,m not sure if I,ll ever get to build this buggy but if I do it will have to be on a tight budget and old car parts will help in that area even if they will be on the heavy side as far as performance goes.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you take any two identical diffs and face one in its normal position and spin the other around to have the pinion shafts facing each other and spin both pinions the same way both diffs will spin thier output shafts in the SAME DIRECTION.

You can take two rear diffs out of a Subaru and face one backwards and put a shaft in between them and they will go the same direction without flipping one upside down. Its not needed to be flipped upside down. Go try it.

Yes it will ride on the other side of the ring gear (coast side) but with the loads it will see in a mini buggy it will not hurt it for like ever. The steel just does not care that much. Its just about the same for it at the loads it will see.

Edit. There is a guy at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes with a Custom ford 9 inch diff he feeds power into it from a 4x4 transfer case front driveshaft in a custom build (rear engine homebuilt V-8 buggy) and the diff is facing backwards so it rides on the coast side of the ring gear and he beats on it and has for a few years with no issues.

Last edited by nutz4sand; 03-26-2011 at 09:03 AM..
nutz4sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

chek my build in projects in progress i am building an 4x4 st3 powered by a 6oocbr with a sammy transfer case and 2 subi diff one up side down in front. it will run on the coast side of the gears and if you look at a subi diff symetricaly they are the same right side up or upside down so oiling of the parts is not an issue or oil pooling in low side of diff which is the case in truck diff due to input shafts being now on top after the flip( alot of guys use more oil to help with this.) have some pics of my set up so far. The sammy transfer only weights around 35#'s truck transfers weight alot more i could type all day here but most info is in build thread. also ford 9 weights alot would go with toyota front diff from early 90 4 runners and trucks they are alum but have to have long tube side removed. that set up would be indestructable but you would have to buy lockers or LSD for it when a subi comes with VLSD already and gearing is from 3:07 up to 4:44 depending on model and are also pretty indestructable. GOOD LUCK WITH BUILD.
chrisMX-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

PS i am also looking into having a custom 4x4 transfer case made up with reverse based on sammy transfer size and weight have a nephew that has a custoom machine shop that builds parts for V8 super cars
chrisMX-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links